Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #61
sparky00

Default Re: Sooo . . .What do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I taught a non-gamer how to play Ogre last night, just because we needed something to do besides...you know, never mind the specifics. :D But she grasped the mechanics almost immediately and we knocked out two games in about two and a half hours.
And that right there is what makes Ogre, IMHO, the greatest of the wargames and one of the best games in any format. The mechanics support the gameplay, without being burdensome. The gameplay is simple, fast & fun. This holds true even with more complex scenarios. It just works.

BTW, I've felt for some time that the best pool of prospects for new Ogre players are from the non-gaming community. Gamers tend to gravitate toward the types of games they like, and that trend seems to be largely away from hex & counter boardgames at the moment. There's nothing wrong with the hex & counter format - its been the foundation of wargaming for 50+ years - its just not the fashion of the moment.

I aim to change that!

Expand the base!
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #62
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
BTW, I've felt for some time that the best pool of prospects for new Ogre players are from the non-gaming community.
Best prospects for new players PERIOD are from outside the gaming community. In fact, I now play almost entirely with folks new to the hobby. I am trying to encourage people to look on gaming as a fun, alternate, social activity rather than some deep, insular hobby community.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #63
sparky00

Concur!

That deep, insular gaming community is one reason I left gaming decades ago. i just couldn't commit 5-8 hours every week to keeping massive games going.

I loved they big, complex wargames I used to play, but they were clunky & took far too long to play.

Ogre was always my favorite, but scoffed at by my "serious" wargaming friends.

Ogre has vastly superior mechanics. Its approachable & fun. In the year since my rediscovery, i haven't played with any non-gamer who hasn't enjoyed it. Most want to play a second game immediately. (I did have one High School student who got a little annoyed that I kept targeting his Main Battery on my first fire phase, but that's the breaks. He didn't hesitate to shoot at me with it whenever he could).
Old 06-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #64
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Ogre isn't a beer & pretzels game? I always thought so - that's what love about it.
I was raised on Avalon Hill CRT's with 25 columns, 30 rows and two pages of modifier calcs. I always loved the simplicity of Ogre's CRT. Part of the genius of the game.

That said, I've been kicking around the idea of some sort of fancy rendition of the CRT. Big, colorful- something about the size of a coaster, that can sit on the table proudly on the table next to the dice tray.

If it's more of a feature, maybe it will be more accessible to new players. Most of the new players I've introduced in the last year have grasped it right away though.
"Most" of the new players grasped it right away...so what about the others. Those are specifically the potential new players I am talking about that may find the CRT something they don't like to use in a game and be off put because of it. Everyone of us is different. Some are more mathematically inclined while others are more visually inclined. We should be supporting and doing all we can to have as many tools out there in the wild to be used to "see if I hit" in OGRE that will accommodate the variety of different players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
RE: CRT, have you seen the big, colorful odds rendition in Ogrezine? Martin Gallo made a nice rendition that removes any need to calculate the odds.
D.
Yes! It's great to have and very helpful.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 06-17-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: the reply is offensive
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #65
ColBosch

Why bother with your gimmicks when, in my considerable experience, people don't need them? If I can teach a non-gamer how to play while we're still half-drunk and cooling off from nookie, and she gets so interested that we play two complete games, does Ogre *need* CRT dice? What do they really add to the game?

No. What I want, more than anything else mentioned in this thread, is more people playing Ogre. And that means going out and teaching people the game, not sitting around thinking of ways to get your name inside the front cover.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #66
sparky00

Getting back to the wish list:

I like the current record cards. It would be great to have them for all the units (basically the ODE sheets in the current format, with the SHVY).
Old 06-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #67
Desert Scribe

Back to the subject at hand, what about individual sprues through Warehouse 23? I already have a metric crapton of minis, but say I wanted a couple more heavies--give me the option to buy a few instead of a whole set. Also, plastic versions of the Ogre repair kits (weapons and conning tower) or submerged Ogre (conning tower leaving a wake).
Old 06-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #68
sparky00

Another thought:
With the excellent value per mini of the current sets, we are now able to amass considerable Ogre armies quickly.

Plano boxes work fine for storing them, but what about some nice, quality storage/transport cases for the minis, with current Ogre colors & artwork?

I'd get some...
Old 06-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #69
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
So why mention them and how "easy" the game is to learn as if to compare them as superior to those who we know are out here in the wild who would benefit from stuff like OGRE AI CRT Dice as one example?
I have a more objective question about your CRT dice regarding this point. The argument for the dice instead of using the CRT is to reduce reliance on the math, correct? How do the dice actually accomplish that? Best that I can tell, you still have to calculate the odds to know which die to toss, so you haven't reduced the math at all.

What's the actual functional benefit to the CRT Dice? Because if it's to get away from the math, I don't see it.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #70
ColBosch

Quote:
Another thought:
With the excellent value per mini of the current sets, we are now able to amass considerable Ogre armies quickly.

Plano boxes work fine for storing them, but what about some nice, quality storage/transport cases for the minis, with current Ogre colors & artwork?

I'd get some...
Hmm. Custom transport cases get very pricey, very quickly. But then again, there's a few of us who REALLY like our miniatures - like, 228 people who wanted 2-3 sets of Ogre Miniatures Set 2, for a totally random example. Let me do some research here and I'll get back to you all.