Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Easy to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
And I can't really think of ways to make death checks with an increased chance of failure fun.
Probably needs an expectation that death will lead to either a further play state for the character (ghost), a reward (if one character dies in battle you can play as a family member with a reaction bonus from being related to such a fearless warrior), or eventual reversal (character is a video-game avatar).
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Wait! I've seen it used! It was on the character sheet of "Feebleman!" in the Villains Play by Post game in 2013.

The characters signature move was coming back the second after he died. He was depicted as weak and sickly, and easy to kill fit the character.

I don't think it really effected his point budget, which was astronomical.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
Michael Cule

I cannot envision myself ever taking this.

Having twice in one week have GURPS characters face Death Checks I'm even more discouraged than ever.

It's there for imposing on PCs after some major health related disaster and for accurate depiction of NPCs.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
So I actively encourage high HT PC's to take "Easy to Subdue" so their characters have a chance to go down before they die.
Where as I actively encourage PCs to surrender before being forced to by failed Consciousness or Death Check rolls.

I've never seen either Easy to Kill or Easy to Subdue on a Character in any game I've been in.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #15
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post

As for PCs, I never see it. PC disadvantages in my mind are an agreement between DM & player saying "I expect this to come into play." And I can't really think of ways to make death checks with an increased chance of failure fun.
It's important to look at it with an open mind, though: If the game involves the occasional run across open ground in the presence of a sniper, gantlet of traps, shell game with poisoned chalices, etc., then Easy to Kill does come into play whenever the player of the character who has it needs to rethink heroics and plain old showing off. Most players of action-adventure heroes routinely grit their teeth and take lumps, particularly in genres where quick healing is possible (notably hack 'n' slash fantasy, but also ultra-tech sci-fi and some versions of modern-day action where doctors can cure being shot with a defibrillator and some duct tape). As the HT roll to survive approaches 10, players get cautious; when it dips below 10, they get really cautious.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #16
Pursuivant

Easy to Kill/Easy to Subdue are mostly useful for NPC or for relatively fragile critters where Fragile seems too severe. Since it's so cheap, it's a good way to "adjust" low-level NPCs so that they hit a certain point total. (e.g., when designing a 25-point minion).

In fact, I'd be very skeptical of player-created Allies that went too heavily towards Easy to Kill/Easy to Subdue since they're basically free points when applied to NPCs - especially minions.

FWIW, since Easy to Kill touches on Fragile (Unnatural) it also seems that the price of that disad is grossly overpriced since EtK 10, which is pretty much an instant death sentence if you're reduced below HP x -1, is worth just -20 points, while Fragile (Unnatural), which kills you at HP 0, is worth -50.

Following that logic, I could see EtK (and its hypothetical twin Easy to Subdue) being reduced to -1 per level.

Presumably, you could also have limited versions of EtK or Fragile (Unnatural) which kick in at multiples of negative HT between HP x -1 and HP x -5.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 08-03-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #17
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
In fact, I'd be very skeptical of player-created Allies that went too heavily towards Easy to Kill/Easy to Subdue since they're basically free points when applied to NPCs - especially minions.
Then enforce RAW and have the GM build all the Allies, or at least, revise the allies.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Then enforce RAW and have the GM build all the Allies, or at least, revise the allies.
I must say that, as a GM, I claim the right to review every PC character sheet, to recommend revisions, and to refuse to allow a character to be played if what I consider essential revisions aren't made. I can't see that claiming the same right with respect to Allies is in any way excessive.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #19
Skarg

The last time I took a HT 9 PC, I was the only survivor of the campaign... ;-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, easy to kill, easy to subdue