Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #21
Bruno

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Dread

Having recently had the misfortune of holding a cat at the vet when she had an overwhelming panic attack with strong flight urges[1], I can confirm that the urge to flee can quickly convert into the urge to fight where necessary to allow fleeing.

I ended up with a cat hanging off my head ripping into my face with bunny kicks because she freaked out about getting her toenails cut. She ended up grappling and mauling me because I didn't release my grapple on her to allow her to flee Flee FLEE!!! to... wherever she was planning on fleeing (TBH I don't think she actually thought that far ahead).

There's room for a limited version of Dread (-60%?) that allows this sort of "defensive attack" but I'd want it worded very carefully and have a big footnote that it should be policed closely. Cornering a vampire with this version of Dread in a closet should result in a slam not a vampire to the face. Grappling a vampire to hold them near the crucifix should result in berserk vampire all up in your bidness, but only until they can break free and run like the dickens.

[1] Based on this playtest, I think your average commoner should be able to win a fight with a housecat[2], but they need to make HT rolls for special infection afterwards unless treated with TL7+ medication.

[2] I am probably permanently scarred - but I doubt she did more than a point of cutting damage (after rounding up for wounding modifier) in that entire fracas. In part because she did go for my head and that meant she got disoriented and attacked my hair as much as my flesh. It actually could have gone much worse if she'd hit my eyes or my throat, but my glasses and jaw tuck protected me.
Your average commoner shouldn't be starting the fight with the cat up in their arms near their face though, that's just unfair.

Cat's OK thank goodness, and I'm OK aside from some lovely marks on my face that, well, make me look like a badass who won a fight with a wildcat. "Wild? She was LIVID!" har har.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #22
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I ended up with a cat hanging off my head ripping into my face with bunny kicks because she freaked out about getting her toenails cut.
Uffdah!

At least the cat was only raking you rather than biting. Cat bites are nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's room for a limited version of Dread (-60%?) that allows this sort of "defensive attack" but I'd want it worded very carefully and have a big footnote that it should be policed closely.
Another good idea!

Let's see if this will work:

Defense Allowed (-40%): You cannot enter the forbidden zone of your own volition, but if carried there by an outside force, or if an opponent wearing, carrying, or representing the thing you dread forces you into the forbidden zone when you cannot safely retreat, you can take limited measures to defend yourself while you attempt to escape. You cannot directly attack the source of your dread, but indirect attacks against it are allowed. In any case, attacks must be proportional to the threat the dreaded thing represents to you, must be simple enough that you can use them "instinctively" (see the Berserk disadvantage for permissible attacks types), must be "All-Out," and must be entirely focused on aiding your escape. Typically, this means a single, simple slam attack as you attempt to rush past someone holding the dreaded object, but the GM might allow you to take more aggressive action, such as striking someone holding the source of your dread, or an attempt to swat the dreaded thing away. As soon as you have a clear path to freedom, even if it's not a safe path, you must stop attacking and flee. Once you escape the zone, the prohibition reactivates. This is a limited form of the Cannot Be Trapped limitation, you cannot have both limitations.

I've priced this at -40% because the "Cannot Be Trapped" Limitation, which allows free action if you're forced into the forbidden zone, is only worth -50%.

And a few more, which model classic horror movie monster behavior a bit better than the limitation provided in GURPS Horror:

Confrontation Required (-60%): Your Dread only applies when you are forcibly confronted with the hated substance or object, or when it is a prominent feature in a particular place. For example, if you Dread holy symbols, small holy symbols worn as jewelry or which are worked into a room's decor don't repel you, but someone forcibly presenting a holy symbol - no matter how small, or a massive holy symbol which dominates the room - like a giant cross over a church altar - do. This is a stronger version of the Insensitive special limitation, you can't have both.

Confrontation Required, Flight Allowed (-70%): This limitation combines the Confrontation Required and Flight Allowed special limitations. You can attempt to flee when you are forcibly confronted with your Dread and are forced into the forbidden zone.

Confrontation Required, Defense Allowed (-80%): This limitation combines the Confrontation Required and Defense Allowed special limitations. You can make limited attempts to defend yourself when you are forcibly confronted with your Dread and are forced into the forbidden zone.

Phobic Instinct (+10%): You dislike the thing you dread. You are uncomfortable with discussions which include the topic and you prefer not to have the dreaded thing in your presence, even if you're well outside the forbidden zone. If you have an actual psychological fear of the thing you Dread, buy the Phobia disadvantage instead of taking this enhancement.

Note that if you Dread a Common or Very Common substance, this enhancement provides more points than it would if it was just a Quirk. That's because it borders on being a compulsive behavior since you must arrange your life to avoid any mention or presence of the thing you dread. For example, if you Dread sunlight, not only are you prevented from going out during the day, but you don't even like to see sunlight indirectly, even in pictures or on video, and you object to any conversation which involves the topics of daytime or daylight!

And, an enhancement, which is suitable for certain vampires:

Distracted (+25%): Even when you are outside the radius of the substance you dread, you are still distracted by it. You are ill-at-ease in the presence of the Dreaded substance, out to double the distance at which you are actually repulsed. You must make a Will roll every minute to remain within this zone, and even then you have a -1 penalty to IQ, DX, and skills, and your ST is reduced by 10% while you remain. Overwhelming quantities of the stuff you Dread brings tears to your eyes and renders you nearly blind (-6 to all Vision rolls and skills that require sight or concentration), and gives a -2 penalty to Will rolls to stay in the area.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 07-10-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #23
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Uffdah!

At least the cat was only raking you rather than biting. Cat bites are nasty.
She ended up ferociously nom nom noming on hair. It was like a white floofy face-hugger was attached to me. I am very thankful I have been letting my hair grow out.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, dread