Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
Izzy_B

Default Scenario play testing

So far so good! Looks like I have a nicely balanced scenario going.

Rough premise: a rouge group has obtained a used Mark II and is attacking Israel through the Negev. Its objective, destroy the admin building and escape where it entered. The Israeli defenders have a light force of basically park rangers, basically nothing "heavier" than a GEV. Their objective is to stop the Ogre and capture its AI if possible. Theres a three player variant which I've yet to test.

The play space is the same size as a usual Ogre map in the images below. First image is the initial setup. Second image is where the Ogre was finally killed. This time it destroyed the admin building and almost all defenders.

https://imgur.com/a/Gn3JHbr

You may see the hills and mountains and borders. You might even wonder what that Egyptian Howitzer is doing. Also that border road sure does look like a fast path to the victory goal doesn't it? Maybe not? Those are special features of this scenario which I hope to submit if it continues to test well.

EDIT: if you have a chessex play mat, DO NOT use it with Zebra brand wet erase markers.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
TexPoec

Default Re: Scenario pay testing

Thanks for sharing. This scenario brought some questions to mind:

Rogue ogres. Raises the potential for some sort of international non proliferation program. I could see a scenario where Combine and Paneuro need to team up to prevent a rogue state from developing cybertanks. Maybe that is more of a Factory States setting.

Does a rogue group have to persuade, brainwash, reprogram or convert a cybertank to add it to their cause? Would Ogres take up a religious war?

Did the Combine assume the U.S. commitment to pay Egypt $1B annually that was part of the Camp David accords? What is that Egyptian howitzer doing?

Would enjoy hearing how the testing goes.
TexPoec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:58 AM   #3
sparky00

Rouge Mk II vs Park Rangers - I like it!

Never tried any desert scenarios.

Sounds like fun!
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexPoec View Post
Rogue ogres. Raises the potential for some sort of international non proliferation program. I could see a scenario where Combine and Paneuro need to team up to prevent a rogue state from developing cybertanks. Maybe that is more of a Factory States setting.
I kind of assumed that since I read in one of the texts (can't remember which) that Mk 1 or 2s got sold to client states, whats to stop resale after that? Also where there is war there are arms brokers. In the actual scenario text this assumes that the Mk 2 in question has been sold multiple times before this group got it.

Quote:
Does a rogue group have to persuade, brainwash, reprogram or convert a cybertank to add it to their cause? Would Ogres take up a religious war?
Here I stay away from that last question however I do point out that every culture has its own way of war and one should not assume that any enemy thinks the same way "you" do.

BUT, I kind of address the question of "how did the rogue group motivate the Mk 2" with a goal for Israel to capture its AI if possible. Ogre must be immobilized but still have enough weapons left to count as not destroyed. Capturing the AI is a combat engineering task. Risky to say the least! So far in none of my play tests have the managed to accomplish this.

However about religion we already have some pretty clear backstory on the Vatican Guard relating to religious motivation and GURPS Ogre tells us that the Vatican ruled that Ogres have souls so certainly Ogres could take up religiously motivated war.

Quote:
Did the Combine assume the U.S. commitment to pay Egypt $1B annually that was part of the Camp David accords? What is that Egyptian howitzer doing?
I don't assume so but dont address that question either. I assume that there is neither war nor official peace between Israel & The Arab Confederation, merely strictly enforced borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
Rouge Mk II vs Park Rangers - I like it!

Never tried any desert scenarios.

Sounds like fun!
Its working out pretty well. Since the Negev isn't sandy desert I dont have to account for that terrain effect but since there are hills and mountains I'm allowing for those.

If you look close on the right side of the map, thats where the 3 player version can take effect. Maybe the Royal Jordanian Marines also want to capture the AI or at least prevent an Ogre from entering their territory.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #5
sparky00

Mechanized warfare in a sandy desert sounds like an operational nightmare - even w/ 2087 tech. Everything bogged down, sensor interference, erosion etc.

Hills, mountains, maybe an oasis (and/or secret underground installation) keep the maneuver interesting.

I really like the concept of 3rd forces, and the uncertainty they produce. ARF & the partisan rules in Ogrezine are examples. Do the Jordanian Marines simply defend their border, or will they cross it to try snatch the AI? Will they engage the park rangers, or break contact?

lots of interesting possibilities here...
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
Do the Jordanian Marines simply defend their border, or will they cross it to try snatch the AI? Will they engage the park rangers, or break contact?
Thats covered in the scenario but I dont want to reveal everything yet. You interested in playtesting and have some opponents handy? Thats the one thing I'm short of here in Tokyo.