Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #41
Anthony

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I've been tempted to write up a biomimetic outfit that folds into a skin-tight combat suit the moment she gets into a fight, but that strikes me as "cool spy gadget" more than typical gear.
It's a Space Biosuit (UT179) with the Morphwear (and, likely, Rainbow) option (UT189). UT actually has plenty of flavorful stuff, but it can be appallingly hard to find.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #42
Mailanka

It's GURPS Day, but I'm in the middle of my datadump, so all I have to offer are some Troopers as a sample opponent for our heroes to fight.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #43
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
The most egregious offender was all those points spent on IQ skills when she could have just raised IQ
When I see that on a character sheet the DM in me smiles and nods in appreciation... the Munchkin in me complains.

And then gets punched by my inner GM for even suggesting that Stat Optimization is an okay thing. My inner GM is a bit of an @$$.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #44
Kalzazz

Its one of those things which really grates on me as a DM. 'So, you studied and learned intensely at all these disparate things, but all this stayed nicely siloed and didn't make you any smarter as a whole? Its not like your a robot running all these stand alone skill softs!'
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #45
Mailanka

The Data Dump, and the First Iteration, end with a playtest.

Next week, we return to our regularly scheduled posting with the first post of Iteration 2, where I take a second look at the core activity, the ruleset, and the templates.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #46
Hedonismbot

This is great, thanks for sharing Mailanka! I really appreciate material on gaming that shows the process - there are a million home-brew settings on the internet, but reading about the path one person took to actually get to the finished product is a lot more helpful to me and my projects.
Hedonismbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #47
RyanW

Just a note, but you should probably add a link to the blog in your sig.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #48
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonismbot View Post
This is great, thanks for sharing Mailanka! I really appreciate material on gaming that shows the process - there are a million home-brew settings on the internet, but reading about the path one person took to actually get to the finished product is a lot more helpful to me and my projects.
That was definitely the idea. I learned to cook by watching a chef's process on a TV show (Good Eats), and I learned to program by watching a developer's process (paired programming). I thought newer GMs might benefit from watching a more experienced GM toss together a campaign, as often the hardest part is "Where do I start?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Just a note, but you should probably add a link to the blog in your sig.
What a good idea!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #49
Kalzazz

I will note that enemies not using combat options or defending definitely played squarely to Dun's wheelhouse, really minimizing the issue of his encumbrance and low skill . . . . if enemies aren't going to defend, then you don't need any deceptive, and since they weren't defending,they also didn't go for range -0, All Out Attacks against his face either once he rushed to meet them!

The reach 1,2 of force swords is pretty killer here, if you can get next to someone at reach 1, even if they take a step back away as part of a step and attack they are still at reach 2 and can get them! Convenient!

GURPS cover rules have always annoyed me greatly, so your quick example here has shown more use of cover then has been in games I've run or played in in years
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #50
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I will note that enemies not using combat options or defending definitely played squarely to Dun's wheelhouse, really minimizing the issue of his encumbrance and low skill . . . . if enemies aren't going to defend, then you don't need any deceptive, and since they weren't defending,they also didn't go for range -0, All Out Attacks against his face either once he rushed to meet them!

The reach 1,2 of force swords is pretty killer here, if you can get next to someone at reach 1, even if they take a step back away as part of a step and attack they are still at reach 2 and can get them! Convenient!

GURPS cover rules have always annoyed me greatly, so your quick example here has shown more use of cover then has been in games I've run or played in in years
If I have noticed one thing over the years of running GURPS, it is that if you want a game to feel cinematic, use the cinematic rules. Putting the enemy right next to the PCs really helped too. Consider that Kendra probably could peg people 100 yards away pretty reasonably (Acc +5 with skill 17 -10 for range = 12), but it would take Dun ages to reach them. And their shots wouldn't really penetrate his armor until they took aimed shots at his face and, not using any options, they won't do that.

That said, the prime way to get around their armor was aimed shots, which penalizes accuracy, while Dun's forcesword is more than effective enough to just attack anywhere, anyplace, anytime, without worrying about those fussy details, and to legitimately slaughter whomever he fights.

So, the answer to the question of "How do you make a force sword matter" is this: First, it's far more effective at penetrating armor than any other blaster (if I were to introduce fusion weapons and x-ray lasers, or pulsars and disintegrators, then the force sword stops being an effective option. I didn't); second, never introduce armor that a force sword can't handle: he's not fighting guys in dreadnought armor, but combat hardsuits; third, never put the enemy out of his reach. This last one is interesting because I was just playing Knights of the Old Republic, wherein I noticed an interesting option. Force Leap explicitly brings you in contact with the enemy if you have a light saber. In retrospect, the ability to jump is used by jedi to close ground and ensure they can bring their epic weapons to bear against guys with rifles. You can still set someone "too far away" (a guy with a field jacketed X-ray lasers can literally shoot at you from a mile away, though Jedi typically have "danger sense" to compensate for that somewhat), but what most people will accept as "reasonable encounter distance" never involves distances that highly mobile jedi cannot overcome.

This particular playtest, and the characters, reminded me a lot of very early, 3e-sort of GURPS. Everyone was 150-200 points, the fight is kind of a mess, we don't worry about tons of details, the advantages are a bit of kludge but get us to where we want to be, more or less, which is why I say "It works." It does, but it's not my preferred way of playing anymore. The campaign frameworks really spoiled me, and changed how I see GURPS now.

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack