Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Knee Strikes, Shock, counter Grappling, Takedowns, Arm Locks, and Two-Wapon Attac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Consequently, it's to your advantage to be the one who grapples first. By initiating, you create a situation where your foe is at a penalty to return the favor. If he isn't very skilled, you can gain control early and dominate the fight. If he's skilled enough to absorb a -4, though, or just willing to make an All-Out Attack, then this advantage is only momentary. If he insists on not grappling back . . . well, that's his problem.
This is seen, remarkably effectively, in many grappling events that start with two competitors apart (say, standing). While sometimes they just mutually grapple, and then struggle for position, the more elegant way, which requires more skill, is to shoot in and grab a leg, body, arm, or whatever and then try and use a second maneuver before the other guy can grapple you back. When this happens (Georges St-Pierre, I'm thinking of you) it's wonderful to behold, very technical, and usually irresistible.

In GURPS, GSP manages to pull off, with spectacular success rate, A-grapples-B without the poor Schub B getting him back.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Knee Strikes, Shock, counter Grappling, Takedowns, Arm Locks, and Two-Wapon Attac

GSP is exploiting the +4 for being Canadian, though. ;)
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
Daeglan

Quote:
shouldn't that be a -4 for being Canadian? :P
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
People don't notice you so you slip in under their guard? :-X
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
People don't notice you so you slip in under their guard? :-X
It's all that maple syrup. It makes them slippery.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #16
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yes. Arm Locks are terrifying...
My group calls Arm Lock, "The Ass-Whoopah," for good reason. I consider this realistic based on what I've seen: an opponent skilled in Arm Lock can usually only be beaten (assuming one opponent) by someone who has trained with specialization in techniques not involving the arms, which puts most normal people at a major disadvantage. If it is a problem for you, plan against it.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
My group calls Arm Lock, "The Ass-Whoopah," for good reason. I consider this realistic based on what I've seen: an opponent skilled in Arm Lock can usually only be beaten (assuming one opponent) by someone who has trained with specialization in techniques not involving the arms, which puts most normal people at a major disadvantage. If it is a problem for you, plan against it.
Careful, G&A: you could get run out of town if you keep practicing acts of necromancy like that.

RE: reciprocal grappling, I think Technical Grappling got it right when it showed that the HOLD goes both ways, but the CONTROL does not. I'm not sure how you'd model that in non-Technical grappling, which doesn't distinguish between the two.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
T.K.

Riiiiiiiiise my minions!
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #19
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Rapid-striking. Dual-Weapon Attack consistently refers to using "two different arms" (or "hands"). The improved penalty (relative to Rapid Strike) is due to the ease of using both arms compared to other types of attacks (e.g., using the same arm twice, using an arm and a leg).
Actually you got this wrong it can Be either.

you Can Rapid strike Karate-6 Karate(leg)-6 or you can Due weapon strike Karate-4, Karate(leg)-4.

it just Dual weapon attack will requite the attacks to be go at eith the same person or adjacent people.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:14 AM   #20
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Careful, G&A: you could get run out of town if you keep practicing acts of necromancy like that.
I honestly didn't notice it was an old thread; looked up Arm Lock and then came back to read it later. Apologies, all.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, kromm explanation, martial arts