Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
chandley

Default Re: Your Trademark Moves

We got a couple here, but Id love to see more...

Got a Dwarf Knight with a sig axe-with-pick-and-full-spear-head, fine, balanced, dwarven (of course) and a weapon bond that tops him out at effective skill 26, used two handed. He needs suggestions on what to do with roughly -10 to -12 of self-imposed penalties.

Can you use an "attack" to pull a pick out of a target? Or is it always going to require a full Ready to pull out? Wonder if I can talk a GM into ATR 1 (Only to pull out picks, ready unbalanced weapons, change grips and the like -80%) [20]...

What I have so far:

"The Trepanator": Feint to the groin, lop off the top of the head: Rapid Strike, first attack is Feint at skill 23, second is Axe to Skull at Skill 16 for 2d+9 cut, damage past helmet and skull DR is x4.
"The Violator": This move will help keep opponents from building up a +1 to defend against the Trepanator... Foil the opponents stance with the spear head, then throw a vicious pick attack to the groin/torso vitals: Rapid Strike, first attack is a Defensive Feint at skill 23, second is an Attack with the pick to the groin at skill 16 with a -2 to defend against it (Skill 26-3 Rapid -3 groin/vitals -4 Deceptive) for 2d+8 imp damage, x2 penetrating damage if literally done to the groin, x3 if done to the torso vitals with a special effect being your going for the liver by way of the taint...
"The Minionator": Rapid Strike with the axe head _x4_, each attack is made at skill 15 and is -1 to defend against (Skill 26 - 18/2 for x4 rapid strike -2 Deceptive) OR _x7_ and costs 7 FP (Skill 26 - 36/2 (WM)*2 (Flurry) -2 Deceptive)= Skill 15 and -1 to be defended against.
"Quattuor Membra": As Minionator, but instead of a deceptive attack, target each arm and leg in turn. At 2d+9 cutting, and penetrating damage getting x1.5, shouldnt be to hard to get a few crippled limbs (Against mail armor, average is 12 penetrating, multiplied to 18 for cut, which will lop off limbs from up to ST/HP 17 foes).

I like Bruno's Leg-Docker, going to add that. DF has been out a while, what else do people have?
chandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Edman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Google Translate thinks it means "Trusty axe" as in, an axe he relies on a lot. Can you suggest another name that matches that meaning closer?

The original idea I wanted was "Head-Smashed-In", a reference to the Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump in Alberta, Canada. That, and the fact that Mrugnak thinks that smashing goblin heads makes "dis rilly funny noiz." [1]

"Huvudet-Inkrossad" would work (I'm afraid I'm attached to my hyphens :D)

I'm relying entirely on Google Translate, so if it had told me the correct translation was "Bork bork bork" I wouldn't know any better.

[1] Which is not my attempt at a sweedish accent, for reference. Mrugnak's accent may or may not be a heavy parody of the Ottawa Valley regional accent with a small amount of Tank Girl mixed in for colour.
Trovärdig would probably be best translated as credible, which may not be what you're looking for. Trusty would indeed be Pålitlig (pronounced paw-leet-leeg) or trogen (like it looks, except for a longer o, like in Ooh). Trogen-Yxa undoubtedly sounds better. However, due to weird, Swedish grammatical rules on par with just about nothing else in the known world, it would be Huvudet-Inkrossat, not Inkrossad. If you want any other translations, just PM me - I have been paid to translate from English to Swedish (and vice versa) and I'm always willing to help anyone make a mockery of my mother tongue.

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
aesir23

IRL, when I used to fight competatively in Tae Kwon Do my trademark move was a Spinning Kick to the Torso launched as a Stop Hit. I was fast back then (16 years ago in my teens) so it worked more often then not.

On fortunately, I haven't had a PC in a while (I'm always the GM), so I've never had a TM in game.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
vierasmarius

I made a total munchkin character for an arena match a while back, wielding a pair of Signature Fine Curved Long Knives (I know, I know...) His Trademark Move was:

Dual Weapon Deceptive Attack, Knife Swing to the Neck, Defense -2, Effective Skill 14, Damage 3d cut
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Would some kindly Master/Sensei/Sifu of Gurps Fu be willing to provide a write-up for Tae Kwon Leap's Boot To The Head, please?
fwcain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
Would some kindly Master/Sensei/Sifu of Gurps Fu be willing to provide a write-up for Tae Kwon Leap's Boot To The Head, please?
That's not really a Trademark Move, not without knowing the character's Strength, Karate skill, and training or lack thereof in Targeted Attack Karate Kick to the Skull, and Flying Jump Kick.

The point of Trademark Move is you math all that in advance for your specific character.

Don't forget the +1 to kicking damage for wearing boots though :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #17
Celti

I created two Trademark Moves for a speedster superhero of mine. He has Extra Attack 5, so he can fill a Trademark Move with a lot of action!

The Human Doormat
As an Acrobatic Attack: run forwards, make an Acrobatic Feint (skill 21), followed by a kick to the Knee as a Deceptive Attack -1 (skill 17), followed by a kick to the Groin as a Deceptive Attack -2 (skill 16), followed by a kick to the Vitals as a Deceptive Attack -2 (skill 16), followed by a kick to the Neck as a Deceptive Attack -1 (skill 17), followed by a kick to the Skull as a Deceptive Attack -1 (skill 16), ended by backflipping and tumbling backwards, skill 20.

The Handspring Kick
As an Acrobatic Attack: flip forwards, doing a handspring (skill 21) and making an Acrobatic Feint (skill 21), followed by snap kick to the Jaw as a Deceptive Attack -1 (skill 16), followed by a Push Kick to the Jaw as a Deceptive Attack -1 (skill 16), ending the flip in close combat with the target — or standing over the target, if he falls.

Last edited by Celti; 03-01-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
MiB1213

First time I’m using TM. So let me see if I get this. If I build a TM and it’s collective penalty is -10. Then when I do the move exactly as written it’s performed at -9?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 PM   #19
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiB1213 View Post
First time I’m using TM. So let me see if I get this. If I build a TM and it’s collective penalty is -10. Then when I do the move exactly as written it’s performed at -9?
Close, though remember that you get +1 on all skill rolls to perform the Trademark Move. So if your move consists of "Rapid Strike with three attacks, at -6 for each (from Weapon Master), the first a Feint (at +4 because I have Feint (Broadsword)+4), the second a sword swing at the leg (at -2 for the leg), and the third a telegraphed sword swing to the neck (at +4 for Telegraphed, -5 for the neck)", you'd make three separate skill rolls, the first at (-6 +4 +1), the second at (-6 -2 +1) and the third at (-6 +4 -5 +1).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #20
MiB1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Close, though remember that you get +1 on all skill rolls to perform the Trademark Move. So if your move consists of "Rapid Strike with three attacks, at -6 for each (from Weapon Master), the first a Feint (at +4 because I have Feint (Broadsword)+4), the second a sword swing at the leg (at -2 for the leg), and the third a telegraphed sword swing to the neck (at +4 for Telegraphed, -5 for the neck)", you'd make three separate skill rolls, the first at (-6 +4 +1), the second at (-6 -2 +1) and the third at (-6 +4 -5 +1).
Thank you. Now I get it

Tags
martial arts, trademark moves