Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
Chaddical

Default Wizard's Charm vs Friendship Potion

Couldn't find this question clearly answered anywhere else, so I'm askin' it.

Wizard decides to charm a monster, and does. Does anyone still have time to play things like the Potion of Friendship (no treasure/levels) or something like the Potion of Cowardice (forces them to run away, even if they could win)? Or is the monster done for, therefor there is nothing to make friendly to prevent treasures/nothing to run away from?

Both situations came up and we weren't sure on how to deal with it : (
Chaddical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Bazz

Default Re: Wizard's Charm vs Friendship Potion

as far as i understand it, potion of friendship has to be played on a monster, so you'd have to wander in a monster to use it - but potion of cowardice you could use.
Bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
Chaddical

But what would he be running from? The charmed monster would be chasing him and forces him to roll to escape the monster's bad stuff? The main argument was that because the monster was charmed, combat was over and nothing else could be added to that monster or could be played against the wizard charming.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
funny_pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddical
But what would he be running from? The charmed monster would be chasing him and forces him to roll to escape the monster's bad stuff? The main argument was that because the monster was charmed, combat was over and nothing else could be added to that monster or could be played against the wizard charming.
I think it is pretty senseless to play the both potions in one monster combat after charming. But it could be helpful to use them in multi-monster mayhem to prevent a rival from taking treasures from the charmed beast (and Bad Stuff can be a nice addition to it).
funny_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
MIB2826

Quote:

Wizard decides to charm a monster, and does. Does anyone still have time to play things like the Potion of Friendship (no treasure/levels) or something like the Potion of Cowardice (forces them to run away, even if they could win)? Or is the monster done for, therefor there is nothing to make friendly to prevent treasures/nothing to run away from?

After the Wizard Charm's a monster the monster isn't there anymore.
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Progmode

Quote:

As long as the Wizard hasn't actually discarded his/her hand yet, you could play them. I know that's not what you said happened, but this is hypothetical. So, if your Wizard says "I think I'll charm this Potted Plant" then hesitates, you could play either of those potions to get their effects. Once the wizard's cards hit the discard pile though, the monster is gone.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB2826
After the Wizard Charm's a monster the monster isn't there anymore.
Let us remember, however, as is stated in the FAQ, there's still time to thwart the player. With something like a Wandering Monster, or something that would affect the Treasure draw, but not something that would modify the no-longer existing Monster.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
MIB2826

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Let us remember, however, as is stated in the FAQ, there's still time to thwart the player. With something like a Wandering Monster, or something that would affect the Treasure draw, but not something that would modify the no-longer existing Monster.
Mea culpa.
It had been my intention to write:
After the Wizard Charm's a monster the monster isn't there anymore, although the combat itself hasn't ended.

But work interfered again...
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
Chaddical

So to clarify: If they charm it, I couldn't play friendship potion cause the monster is no longer there, but I could still make them run away before combat ends with the potion of cowardace?

Sorry to keep asking sorta the same question >_>
Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #10
Progmode

Quote:
So to clarify: If they charm it, I couldn't play friendship potion cause the monster is no longer there, but I could still make them run away before combat ends with the potion of cowardace?

Sorry to keep asking sorta the same question >_>
No. You can't play either after they charm it. The monster is gone. There's nothing to make friends with, and nothing to run away from.

As Erik said, you could play a Wandering Monster or play something that reduces the number of Treasure cards the player will get (as long as it doesn't target a monster specifically). If you do wander in a monster, you could then play either potion because now there is a monster. The Wizard would have to beat that monster before getting any treasure.

Last edited by Progmode; 01-23-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Grammar
Progmode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
friendship potion, wizard charm