Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Dalren

Default Damage Resistance (Blunt Trauma Only)

Is there a modifier for Damage Resistance that makes it work only to reduce blunt trauma? If not, what category would it fall under for Limited Defenses?
Dalren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Langy

Default Re: Damage Resistance (Blunt Trauma Only)

At most it'd probably be a -80% limitation. Blunt Trauma isn't exactly a huge threat.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Humabout

It is if you use the edge protection rules from low tech

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
It is if you use the edge protection rules from low tech
That's crushing damage not blunt trauma from flexible armor, which is what I think OP means.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalren View Post
Is there a modifier for Damage Resistance that makes it work only to reduce blunt trauma?
Probably -80% (the difference between flexible and regular DR), but it will be applied before computing blunt trauma -- i.e. if you get hit for 22 points of piercing damage (blunt trauma 2) and you have 2 points of 'blunt trauma' DR, it will reduce the 22 to 20 and then divide by 10 as normal, meaning you still take 2 points of blunt trauma injury.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Probably -80% (the difference between flexible and regular DR), but it will be applied before computing blunt trauma -- i.e. if you get hit for 22 points of piercing damage (blunt trauma 2) and you have 2 points of 'blunt trauma' DR, it will reduce the 22 to 20 and then divide by 10 as normal, meaning you still take 2 points of blunt trauma injury.
Unless it's only meant to protect against the blunt trauma of flexible armor, meaning DR 2, Blunt Trauma Only would reduce Blunt Trauma injury by 2. Great against Pi damage, but sub-optimal against Crushing damage.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Unless it's only meant to protect against the blunt trauma of flexible armor, meaning DR 2, Blunt Trauma Only would reduce Blunt Trauma injury by 2.
Damage resistance has no effect on injury. In order to reduce blunt trauma, you must reduce the damage that generates the injury.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Unless it's only meant to protect against the blunt trauma of flexible armor, meaning DR 2, Blunt Trauma Only would reduce Blunt Trauma injury by 2. Great against Pi damage, but sub-optimal against Crushing damage.
Great to keep Ironman from turning into Campbell's can of chunky hero.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Barghaest

Could always make it a form of Injury Tolerance or Resistance.

I'd use the base cost of DR, but since it only applies to injury, there'd be a discount but not as much as you'd expect because it'd be offset by the enhancement of doing something DR doesn't normally do... protect vs injury instead of initial attack damage.

I'd see it as about 2-3/point of Blunt Trauma protection.

Of course, I could also see a 5 point advantage to be immune to blunt trauma (since that's the cost of No Blood which negates the bleeding mechanic which is even less situational than Blunt Trauma - also the cost of Ambidexterity which negates off-hand penalties).

If you still want to go with DR... I'd say 1/point however it would only kick in to reduce initial attack damage (which calculated blunt trauma)... so you'd need 10 points of it to stop 1 blunt trauma and it's useless if the attack would normally penetrate DR anyway... of course by this logic you could just set 10/point and not have to do math and apply it directly to reducing Blunt Trauma damage...
Barghaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barghaest View Post
Could always make it a form of Injury Tolerance or Resistance.

I'd use the base cost of DR, but since it only applies to injury, there'd be a discount
Injury reduction is probably a Cosmic +300%.

In any case, there's a simple way to work out proper cost: DR 10 normally costs [50]. DR 10 (flexible) costs [40], and causes you to be vulnerable to blunt trauma and to certain types of grappling moves. Blunt trauma resistance 1 completely eliminates the penalty of flexible against piercing/etc, but still leaves you partially vulnerable to crushing and fully vulnerable to grappling, so figure it's worth [3] or [4].

Tags
blunt trauma, damage resistance