Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Nereidalbel

Default Leech: Energy into points

Ok, I know it's generally a no for Leech to create character points, but I'm trying to design a character where Leech is the ONLY way he can gain points...and only 2 cp at a time.

Now, to keep this from being crazy-op, I've already limited it to not working vs unconscious and not working vs IQ > 10 (before Leech). I've already set up the Leech power to work with a fatigue attack and a malediction, but I only want the cp gained if the target fails to resist the malediction.

How would I go about this without just taking "New power modifier" and making up a %?
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Leech: Energy into points

There is no balanced way for a character to hand themselves free character points.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

Considering the GM for this game...yeah, it's still going to be more balanced than anything he throws at us (he thinks it's perfectly normal for disposable grunts to have 20 in all attributes and 25 skill for all combat...), so...yeah, basically, I'll get maybe 2-4 cp per session with this anyway.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Any answer would be pretty arbitrary. If your GM wants to give it to you, he should set the price.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Ok, I know it's generally a no for Leech to create character points, but I'm trying to design a character where Leech is the ONLY way he can gain points...and only 2 cp at a time.

Now, to keep this from being crazy-op, I've already limited it to not working vs unconscious and not working vs IQ > 10 (before Leech). I've already set up the Leech power to work with a fatigue attack and a malediction, but I only want the cp gained if the target fails to resist the malediction.

How would I go about this without just taking "New power modifier" and making up a %?
You are trying to do something totally unbalanced AND you want to do it without new rules?!?! Okay... the closest I can get is an Affliction that's core is built with:

Advantage: Modular abilities: {Cosmic Power (Physical +100%; Social +50%)} +250%;
Allows you to assign 1 CP towards anything Mental/Physical/social.

Cumulative +400%
Allows you to gain CP Cumulatively.

Permanent +300%
The benefit of the CP doesn't expire.

Accessibility only after using leech -??%
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
You are trying to do something totally unbalanced AND you want to do it without new rules?!?! Okay... the closest I can get is an Affliction that's core is built with:

Advantage: Modular abilities: {Cosmic Power (Physical +100%; Social +50%)} +250%;
Allows you to assign 1 CP towards anything Mental/Physical/social.

Cumulative +400%
Allows you to gain CP Cumulatively.

Permanent +300%
The benefit of the CP doesn't expire.

Accessibility only after using leech -??%
Seems expensive. I rather like it, especially if I can throw in something that says I can't use said CP to buy base attributes (since this is where most of the imbalance seems to come from).
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
I'll get maybe 2-4 cp per session with this anyway.
Why do you assume this limit?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Seems expensive. I rather like it, especially if I can throw in something that says I can't use said CP to buy base attributes (since this is where most of the imbalance seems to come from).
Even without the option of buying base attributes this is still going to be unbalanced if you get to use it enough times to turn a profit.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Why do you assume this limit?
Resistable by Will, with a GM who thinks it's "normal" for random thugs/mercenary guards/every NPC ever to have 20 IQ, 20 DX, 25 in all combat skills, and somehow not die when you park a bus on their face.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Even without the option of buying base attributes this is still going to be unbalanced if you get to use it enough times to turn a profit.
Already linked to a fatigue attack and has Accessibility: Not vs Unconscious, so 1-2 shots at a target who can dodge the initial attack (with the leech requiring said attack to hit), and then a resist roll negating cp gain (as it's technically from a malediction).

Tags
boosts abilities, leech