Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
A Ladder

Default Compartimentalized Mind and Missile Spells

My searching powers are weak if this has been asked before.

If I take Compartmentalized Mind and cast a Missile Spell (Full turn of concentration maneuver) can I then use Innate Attack and throw it at a target?

Also, off topic, what are some limitations that you guys take on Compartmentalized Mind to make it cheaper? I saw (-20% no mental separation ), what does that mean/where can I find it?
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Compartimentalized Mind and Missile Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Also, off topic, what are some limitations that you guys take on Compartmentalized Mind to make it cheaper? I saw (-20% no mental separation ), what does that mean/where can I find it?
Controls and Dedicated Controls | GURPS Basic, pg 43.
Limited, Mental Separation, No Mental Separation | GURPS Psionic Powers, pg 13.
Switchable, Massively Parallel | GURPS Supers, pg 26.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
My searching powers are weak if this has been asked before.

If I take Compartmentalized Mind and cast a Missile Spell (Full turn of concentration maneuver) can I then use Innate Attack and throw it at a target?
I think that's fine.

Quote:
Normally, each compartment has to be overcome separately if the character is being attacked / hacked telepathically. With No Mental Separation, it's all the same mind, and a single Mind Control attempt can take over all compartments. Not sure where it is in the books though; maybe Powers. EDIT: Ah, Sunrunner got it. Thanks.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Unmodifed Compartmentalized Mind does indead lets you cast and throw a missile spell in the same round.

Some Modifiers you might want to use is Granted by Familiar (-40%) and Magical (-10%)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Magical (-10%)
To clarify, that would make the CM dependent on local mana to function, but wouldn't limit how it could be used. How much of a limitation would it be for a CM that can only be used for casting spells? Magical + Nuisance Effect (-15% total)?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
To clarify, that would make the CM dependent on local mana to function, but wouldn't limit how it could be used. How much of a limitation would it be for a CM that can only be used for casting spells? Magical + Nuisance Effect (-15% total)?
It would mean it depended on local mana level to use (-5%) and subject to Magical counter measures like Neutralize (Magical) and Static(Magical) etc (-5%) without limiting what type of contration manuvers it can be used for... it can still let you do a second mental skill use with out the -2 penalty for doing more than one thing at a time)

for limiting it to magical powers/spell only

see
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUPRS Psionic Powers p 19
Limited: You can only use your additional mental maneuvers for certain abilities. If you know more than one psi ability, “Limited, One Ability” is -30%. If you have abilities in more than one power, “Limited, One Power” is worth -20%. “Limited, Psi” is worth -10% if you also know spells, chi powers, etc., otherwise it is worth -5% as it still prevents you from taking an Evaluate maneuver, making Observation rolls, etc., with your maneuvers.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
for limiting it to magical powers/spell only

see
Ah, right. Well, I guess my big question is, should that be allowed to stack with the Magical power modifier? After all, if you can only use your CM to cast spells, it's effectively useless in a NMZ, whether or not the CM itself is Magical.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Ah, right. Well, I guess my big question is, should that be allowed to stack with the Magical power modifier? After all, if you can only use your CM to cast spells, it's effectively useless in a NMZ, whether or not the CM itself is Magical.
Compartmentalized Mind 1 (Granted by Familiar, -40%; Limited, One Ability, Fireball, -30%; No Mental Separation, -20%; PM (Magic), -10%) [10]
... should be valid rules-as-written.

Its' also important to note that PM (Magic) means that it is dependent on an esoteric ambient energy and that it is subject to esoteric counter-measures. The standard esoteric counter-measure for Magic is called "counterspell" and "dispel magic", if I recall correctly.

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 04-22-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
they do stack because they don't do the same thing, you can use spells skills (which is a contraction maneuver) for non casting using like say identifying others casting the same spell etc.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
A Ladder

Thanks everyone!
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compartmentalized mind, missile spell