Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy World for Infinite Worlds Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
If I were designing this, I'd try to significantly limit the Patrol characters' ability to use high-tech stuff, for whatever reason - they're trying to preserve the Secret, they have limited ammo, etc. I don't think this is too implausible for the Infinite Worlds setting - there's a reason the Infinity Patrol templates that have combat skills all include low-tech weapon skills as well as high-tech.
Locals are TL 4- and all attempts to codify why higher tech doesn't work causes disasters. Variant physics of an unknown nature means that it's probably best and fastest to use agents specialized in such low tech/magic.

Find enough of them and you get a whole classification: DF myth parallels. Maybe metagaming and working backwards from what you want, but it makes perfect sense for an Infinity setting.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
So do DF's designers have a very tight definition on what constitutes a "dungeon crawl?" Because that's pretty surprising since dungeon crawls boil down to "explore place, kill stuff that attacks you, and take loot."

I mean, the idea that it HAS to be a mishmash of "medieval and renaissance technology, culture and legendaria" is rather...limiting.
I am not talking about the general concept of "dungeons" in the entire hobby, but rather the specific implementation of "classic FRPG" tropes in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy or Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. I am saying that just taking say the barbarian templates and switching melee weapon skills for Guns and Gunner isn't going to produce anything that looks like a I-Cop trained for the dungeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
If I were designing this, I'd try to significantly limit the Patrol characters' ability to use high-tech stuff, for whatever reason - they're trying to preserve the Secret, they have limited ammo, etc. I don't think this is too implausible for the Infinite Worlds setting - there's a reason the Infinity Patrol templates that have combat skills all include low-tech weapon skills as well as high-tech.
Yeah, that makes sense.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #33
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Significant common tropes of FRPGs are tied closely to the mishmash of medieval and renaissance technology, culture and legendaria.

I have been working on a six-guns and sorcery game, and initially I thought I could just have the DF occupations with lenses, but that didn't work out well, the archetypes are significantly different.

Dungeon delving I-Cops are probably closer to templates for special operators than to the DF occupations with melee weapons swapped for Guns.
Maybe try the templates from Action! rather than DF.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #34
Tinman

I've been running a DF campaign set on Yirth for two years. I find it's a fine fit.
As for the clerics to religion issue, I say it's different aspects of the same God (for the Abrahamic religions) and other religions actually can have pantheons.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, infinite worlds