Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
lord buss

Default alternate form cheats

two questions:
1) if i limit alternate form with limitations like costs fatigue or costs character points, does it means that i have to pay every minute , or the change is permanent and i need to pay the points to transform back?
and if i have limited use, i transform only for minute for every use and then utomaticly change back, or i can change between the forms only limited amount of times a day?
2) can i use modifiers like pact, accessibility, or emergencies only, both on the altenate form and on the traits that the alternate form package contains? it feels like cheating.

because if the first answer is pay every minute, and the second answer is yes, i can do things like this:
alternate form (pact -10%; limited use 1/day -40%; costs fatigue 2 -10%; emergencies only -30%)* costs character points.
and the package includes
st 10 (pact -10%; limited use 1/day -40%; emergencies only -30%)[20],
dx 10 (pact -10%; limited use 1/day -40%; emergencies only -30%)[40],
and ht 10 (pact -10%; limited use 1/day -40%; emergencies only -30%)[20].
i will be able to use it one time a day, the costs fatigue and costs character points will lower the price of the entire package, and the limited use of the stats is free points, because you already can use this once a day and only for a minute. the alternate form will cost [4]. and if the package is more expensive than 150, than the 0.9*x+15 will make the alternate form even cheaper.
what do you say?

* yes, i know that the costs fanigue is useless because the limitation is already -80%. its only for the example.
Mild phobia: complex gurps rules [-1]

Last edited by lord buss; 10-14-2016 at 01:21 PM.
lord buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: alternate form cheats

For number 2) its not cheating, but that's because you don't apply the modifiers twice.

If you place a modifier on alternate form, it ONLY affects the base [15] of the alternate form. This is important for cases like 'Reduced time rate', which gets stuck on alternate form all the time. You don't pay twice as much for a form you can instantly change into.

In the case of pact, it is appropriate to place the modifier on everything. But be aware this means you only place the modifier once on everything.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
lord buss

okay, got it. thank you.
the question is, how the limitation applays? if i have to pay FP, i need to pay for the whole template, or for each trait separatly? and if the answer is yes, than how can i create many abilities that require one character poin to use altogether?
Mild phobia: complex gurps rules [-1]

Last edited by lord buss; 11-29-2016 at 04:20 AM.
lord buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Leynok

1) The change is permanent until you're forced out of your form, or you choose to change back. I believe choosing to change back still requires you to pay the cost again.
Likewise, for Limited Use, that would be the number of times that you can transform each day.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, alternate form, limitations, loophole