Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #1141
chandley

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Yeah, I worked off the normal 575 point Asgardian God racial template I cooked up a while back, which has a racial ST +9 [90] and Super ST +11/+150 [440], both without power modifiers or the Size limitation. The values listed in the write-up are the difference between the racial template (adjusted for "Size, -10%") and the final values.

You pretty much assume right that the girdle should be easy for her to remove; a ready action seems about right.

I'm not sure I'm following the math for the [57] you mention.
The 57 points should come to 10% of all her ST above 19, then modified by the gadget limitations. That said, I may have counted how much that ST was and its cost wrong. But that is what Im driving towards with the suggestion. Basically slap the Switchable enhancement bought with a gadget limitation on all of the ST the girdle lets her turn off.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #1142
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
As for the Martial Artist (Military) - short version is I made it up. A while back there was a discussion on the board that ended with a lot of people (with dissenters) agreeing Talents could be a good game mechanic to simulate general training in a martial art or arts, thus allowing for a character with extraordinary skills but not necessarily extraordinary DX. Now I was working with a few assumptions about the Red Guardian.

1. Since he was supposed to be a normal albeit exceptional human, his DX shouldn't be higher than Captain America's, possibly a little lower. Cap has DX 16 so I went with 15.

2. You saw RG as a top level hand to hand combat expert - not at Cap's level but close. I saw that as skills in the low 20s.

3. To get such skills with DX 15, I could spend an insane and unreasonable amount on multiple combat skills, which grates on my nerves. Or I could go with Fist! Or I could use Talents to represent his overall superb training at HtH. I chose the last option but there are others.
Oh, I agree, a Talent to indicate general martial arts training applicable to a number of skills is a good idea. I was just making sure I didn't overlook something published. Get me a listing of all skills in the Talent so I can add it to my master document for other characters? (Your reasons make a lot of sense, btw.)

In the meantime, lemme post someone else I decided to do out of order. At least one other person asked for this character a while back, though I don't recall if it was here on the forum, in PM, or on IRC....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #1143
Phantasm

DANVERS, CAROL

Identity: Carol does not use a dual identity.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.
Other Aliases: Warbird (her callsign).
Place of Birth: Boston, Massachusetts.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Marie (mother), Joseph Sr. (father), Joseph Jr, Steven (brothers).
Group Affiliation: NASA; United States Air Force.
Base of Operations: Cape Canaveral, Florida.
History: Little is known about Carol's past prior to encountering the Kree Captain Marvel, but the following has been revealed or implied in several conversations (see Captain Marvel; Kree). She enrolled in the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado, probably just out of high school, and pursued a career in the US Air Force as a fighter pilot, rising to the rank of Major during the conflicts, flying both the A-10 and F-22. She has claimed to have flown sorties over Iraq and Afghanistan before transferring to NASA for astronaut training, including several months aboard the International Space Station. While at NASA, Danvers worked closely with fellow pilot Ben Grimm, and was slated as the backup pilot of the Fantastic if Ben was ever incapacitated prior to the test flight (see The Fantastic; Thing).

It was while stationed at Cape Canaveral, Florida, that she met the Kree Captain Mar-Vell during his assignment to spy on Earth's (specifically the United States') space and military capabilities for the Kree Empire. During Mar-Vell's brief career as a superhero on Earth, Danvers often worked closely with him, and was perhaps the only human to learn of his alien origins, though she was never told his true mission. She assisted him in a few capers, earning the enmity of his commanding officer, Colonel Yon-Rogg, and being seen as a rival for Mar-Vell's affections by his lover, Una (see Una; Yon-Rogg).

Recently, after Captain Marvel was taken to the Kree homeworld for a court martial, Yon-Rogg captured Danvers and subjected her to several tests to determine just how adaptable the human body and genetic structure was, going so far as to use retrovirus injections of Kree DNA into her. Danvers escaped and piloted a Kree fighter down to Earth. (The fighter was then taken to a classified location for study.) Presumably she has reported on Yon-Rogg's intentions to invade the Earth, but what measures the United States and her allies are taking to attempt to thwart the invasion are unknown.
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 185 lbs.
Eyes: Green.
Hair: Brown.
Uniform: Standard USAF uniforms.
Strength Level: Originally, Carol Danvers possessed the normal human strength of a woman of her age, height, and build who engaged in moderately intensive regular exercise. A recent incident involving Kree technology has enhanced her strength, granting her roughly twice the strength of a woman of her age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Originally none. At present, Carol's physiology has been enhanced to grant her virtual immunity to poisons and toxins, including fatigue poisons generated by her own body due to exertion, as well as enhanced agility, reflexes, stamina, speed, and durability, though she is not bullet-proof. Her muscle mass is slightly denser than a normal human's, and her outer skin is harder than a normal human's. She has also developed a special sense which alerts her of danger and gives her a sense of what her opponent is likely to do next, though she cannot yet fully rely on this ability.
Other Abilities: Carol is a skilled astronaut and jet fighter pilot, and has received training in hand to hand combat, firearms, and desert survival.

507 points
Attributes:
ST 15 [50]; DX 16 [60*]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 16 [30†].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d+1/2d+1; BL 45 lbs.; HP 15 [0]; Will 12 [5]; Per 13 [10]; FP 20 [12]; Basic Speed 8.00 [0]; Basic Move 8 [0]; Dodge 12/14.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Damage Resistance 6 (Tough Skin, -40%; Passive Biological, -5%) [17]; Danger Sense (Unreliable/Activation-14, -10%; Psionic, -10%) [12]; Enhanced Dodge 2 (Unreliable/Activation-14, -10%; Psionic, -10%) [24]; Enhanced Move (Ground) 1 (Move 16/32 mph) [20]; Enhanced Parry (All Parries) 2 (Unreliable/Activation-14, -10%; Psionic, -10%) [18]; Enhanced Time Sense (Psionic, -10%) [41]; Extra Attack 1 [25]; Extra DX +3 (Super, -10%) [54]; Extra HT +3 (Super, -10%) [27]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Immunity to Poisons/Toxins [15]; Military Rank 4 [20]; Very Fit [15]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10].
Perks: Armor Familiarity (Judo) [1]; Armor Familiarity (Karate) [1]; Cutting-Edge Training (Piloting (High-Performance Spacecraft) 3 [3]; On Alert [1]; Suit Familiarity (Vacc Suit) [1].
Disadvantages: Bad Sight (Farsighted) (Mitigator: Corrective Lenses, -60%) [-10]; Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]; Duty to USAF/NASA (12) [-10]; Enemy (Yon-Rogg; Equal in Power) (9) [-10]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5].
Quirks: Always Meets Peoples' Eyes [-1]; Broad-Minded [-1]; Infatuated with Captain Marvel [-1]; Not Until My First Cup! [-1]; Speed Freak [-1].
Skills: Artillery/TL8 (Guided Missile) (A) IQ+3 [12] – 14; Breath Control (H) HT+0 [4] – 16; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1] – 15; Free Fall (A) DX+0 [2] – 16; Gunner/TL8 (Machine Gun) (E) DX+2 [4] – 18; Guns/TL8 (Submachine Gun) (E) DX+2 [4] – 18; Hiking (A) HT-1 [1] – 15; Judo (H) DX+0 [4] – 16; Karate (H) DX+0 [4] – 16; Knife (E) DX+0 [1] – 16; Leadership (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Piloting/TL8 (Aerospace) (A) DX+0 [1] – 16‡; Piloting/TL8 (High-Performance Airplane) (A) DX+1 [4] – 17; Piloting/TL11 (High-Performance Spacecraft) (A) DX-4 [0] – 12§; Soldier/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Survival (Desert) (A) Per-1 [1] – 12; Swimming (E) HT+0 [1] – 16; Vacc Suit/TL8 (A) DX+1 [4] – 17.
Starting Spending Money: $8,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +3 from Extra DX.
† Includes +3 from Extra HT.
‡ Defaulted from Piloting/TL8 (High-Performance Airplane).
§ Defaulted from Piloting/TL8 (Aerospace).

Role-Playing Notes:
Carol is confident, if not overconfident, in her skills and abilities. The fact that she worked alongside an alien – Captain Marvel – and was abducted to a Kree ship in orbit has not fazed her in the least; if anything, she finds the idea that some aliens are humanoid and able to pass for human intriguing.

Design Notes:
1. Carol will not gain her full classic power set – her Class 50 superhuman strength, bullet-proof physique, and flight – until somewhere in Year Two.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-06-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #1144
Infornific

Quote:
Oh, I agree, a Talent to indicate general martial arts training applicable to a number of skills is a good idea. I was just making sure I didn't overlook something published. Get me a listing of all skills in the Talent so I can add it to my master document for other characters? (Your reasons make a lot of sense, btw.)

In the meantime, lemme post someone else I decided to do out of order. At least one other person asked for this character a while back, though I don't recall if it was here on the forum, in PM, or on IRC....
Here's the thread discussing Martial Arts and Talents if you're curious.

The Talent for Red Guardian included the following:

Broadsword, Judo, Karate, Knife, Shield, Shortsword, Spear, Staff, Stealth & Wrestling.

Basically, the skills connected to the various Military Hand to Hand styles plus Shield for obvious reasons. You could probably add in a couple more close combat skills if you can think of anything appropriate.
Infornific is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #1145
Infornific

Quote:

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 185 lbs.
I assume the weight represents denser flesh? Assuming a plausible Action Girl type physique would put weight around 150. 185 would be either burly or chubby for 5'9". If that's the case, she should probably get a Quirk for the denser physique.

Quote:

Piloting/TL8 (Aerospace) (A) DX+0 [1] – 16‡; Piloting/TL8 (High-Performance Airplane) (A) DX+1 [4] – 17; Piloting/TL11 (High-Performance Spacecraft) (A) DX-1 [1] – 15; Piloting/TL8 (Low-Performance Spacecraft) (A) DX+0 [2] – 16;
‡ Defaulted from Piloting/TL8 (High-Performance Airplane).
Does she really need the multiple Piloting skills? Maybe just High-Performance Airplane and Low-Performance Spacecraft and assume she has a default and familiarity with other likely air and spacecraft? I really hope GURPS starts consolidating these skills a little in the future.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #1146
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
I assume the weight represents denser flesh? Assuming a plausible Action Girl type physique would put weight around 150. 185 would be either burly or chubby for 5'9". If that's the case, she should probably get a Quirk for the denser physique.
You assume correctly. Invoking comic book biology here, which means her physique did not change while her bones, muscles, and tendons got denser, making her stronger than the changes should result from. :)

What would the effects of the Quirk be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific
Does she really need the multiple Piloting skills? Maybe just High-Performance Airplane and Low-Performance Spacecraft and assume she has a default and familiarity with other likely air and spacecraft? I really hope GURPS starts consolidating these skills a little in the future.
Not sure if she needs them, except for the TL difference with High-Performance Spacecraft (you'll note it's listed as TL11, not TL8, with a Cutting-Edge Training Perk).

Of those skills, I think the Low-Performance Spacecraft would be the one I'd ditch first. Modern astronauts tend to fly Low-Earth Orbit orbiters and reentry vehicles, which IMO would be Aerospace, not Low-Performance Spacecraft. The Apollo capsules that spent days reaching the moon and any hypothetical manned Mars missions would be Low-Performance Spacecraft while in flight, with Aerospace on takeoff and reentry.

As it is, I decided to treat the A-10 she flew in Afghanistan as High-Performance Airplane, same as the F-22, though arguments can be made that she was flying it using Light Airplane or Heavy Airplane defaulted from Hi-P Airplane.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #1147
David Johnston2

Quote:
You assume correctly. Invoking comic book biology here, which means her physique did not change while her bones, muscles, and tendons got denser, making her stronger than the changes should result from. :)

What would the effects of the Quirk be?
You mean apart from the consequences for her ability to swim? It'll get awkward as soon as she has to pass her next air force physical.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #1148
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You mean apart from the consequences for her ability to swim? It'll get awkward as soon as she has to pass her next air force physical.
It would take superhuman strength to make a brick swim.
Tiny density differences are very noticeable for living creatures in water.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #1149
Phantasm

Comic-book biology, people! :) She packed on 35 lbs. of muscle; that's nothing compared to Wolverine's 150 lbs. adamantium skeleton ("anvil on my back"), and he has been shown swimming rather than sinking like a rock many times.

And while not superhuman (yet), her strength is already greater than her weight/build should indicate (ST 15, after all). 185 lbs. should indicate ST 11 or 12 (11.3 to be precise; round up or down for this?).

Mountain, return thyself to thy original molehill! :)

Old 08-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #1150
Infornific

Quote:
Comic-book biology, people! :) She packed on 35 lbs. of muscle; that's nothing compared to Wolverine's 150 lbs. adamantium skeleton ("anvil on my back"), and he has been shown swimming rather than sinking like a rock many times.

And while not superhuman (yet), her strength is already greater than her weight/build should indicate (ST 15, after all). 185 lbs. should indicate ST 11 or 12 (11.3 to be precise; round up or down for this?).

Mountain, return thyself to thy original molehill! :)
Well, the cube root times 2 formula just gives a baseline. If a character is 185 lbs, doesn't have Overweight and is supposed to be keeping fit for military duty I'd round up.

There isn't really any precise guideline for just how high or low to set ST. Power lifting records follow a 2/3 power relationship between the lifter's weight and weight lifted. So the old formula seems reasonable. However, reverse engineering ST from lifts depends on how much you attribute a record to Lifting skill, Lifting ST and base ST. When I wrote up the Red Guardian, I assumed a "normal" human could get up to +50% from ST based on weight. RG weighed 220 which gave a base of 12. I assumed he was at the very peak of physical conditioning so I boosted ST to 18. That's generous but these are comic book heroes.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men