Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
rlbeaver

Default [DF]A little advice please

Okay, my current GURPS campaign came to a close. It was an introduction to GURPS for most of the players so I kept everything simple, which worked for me as I don't like having to memorize a bazillion rules.

Ignoring the "silly" or not definition arguments, I'm considering Dungeon Fantasy for the next game. I'd like to convert some existing game modules to run. I now pretty much have every GURPS 4th release, and all but 13 or so GURPS 3rd releases.

-- What is the minimum books/rules needed to run GURPS Dungeon Fantasy
-- Are there any particular AD&D, D&D, or other modules that convert fairly easy to DF over others, or is it really all the same?
-- Do you generally try and convert all the monsters or do you just replace with stuff out of the various GURPS release?
-- Do you find it's just easier to start from scratch and create your own dungeon and surrounding environ?

Any other advice?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Agramer

Default Re: [DF]A little advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by obatron View Post
-- Are there any particular AD&D, D&D, or other modules that convert fairly easy to DF over others, or is it really all the same?
-- Do you generally try and convert all the monsters or do you just replace with stuff out of the various GURPS release?
-- Do you find it's just easier to start from scratch and create your own dungeon and surrounding environ?

Any other advice?
1) Basic Set is enough;though Dungeon Fantasy PDFs,Magic and Martial Arts(more flavour in combat) are useful

2)duno

3)I take inspiration from different mobs and than just write down what effects their powers do and with what you resist them,NOT bothering to write them up as GURPS Powers.No need since theyre NPCs and PCs dont have such abilities

4)Creating your own is fun,but can be time consuming.It is easiest to take inspiration from finished product or book and than adapt it to your PC "power level"

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
I'd say Basic, Magic, and DF 1 and 2.

Quote:
I always work from scratch, so I can't help you here.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
GURPS Basic Set, DF 1, DF 2. You probably want Magic if you have any players who want to be spellcasters. You may want DF 3 if people want to play something besides humans, and as a place to draw templates for monstrous humanoids for opponents.

Quote:
I think it's generally all the same.

Quote:
I started out trying to convert it exactly, looking at each monsters stats, feats, skill ranks, and convert it to GURPS. After awhile, I realized that that took forever, and instead started just saying "zombie, well GURPS magic has a zombie" or "A minotaur with Monk levels, okay, Minotaur template from DF 3 plus the Martial Artist template from DF 1." It's a hell of a lot easier and faster.

Some advice: Convert all D&D prices into silver pieces and then convert to GURPS. I think gold is generally assumed to be 80 x the value of silver by weight in GURPS, but D&D hands out gold like it's candy. Anything that is a +1 item represent as merely some version of Fine in GURPS. Hold off on actual enchanted stuff in GURPS to represent +2 or better stuff in D&D.

Quote:
I don't think that's particularly hard, but adventures aren't that hard to convert either, and I suck at drawing maps, so it's nice to have someone do them for me.

Quote:
Any other advice?
I'd also recommend DF 8, treasure tables. It gives you lots of cool loot to give the PCs.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
You may want DF 3 if people want to play something besides humans, and as a place to draw templates for monstrous humanoids for opponents.
Good point. I'd put this borderline between required and highly recommended. I'd also recommend 5 (Allies; the ally creatures make good monsters as well) and, later on, 11 (Power-Ups; very useful for "high level" characters but worth a look even for less advanced ones). The rest are good for their specific areas (Phil's in particular give you considerable depth on their subject matter) but not as pressing needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I'd also recommend DF 8, treasure tables. It gives you lots of cool loot to give the PCs.
Buy early and often!

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
DAT

Post –
Quote:
Basic, Magic, DF1, and DF2 will let you have human simple single "class/profession" characters.

Add DF3 for non-human (Cat-boy/girl, Dwarf, elf, etc) and "multi-class" characters (e.g., Barbarian-Scout, Knight-Martial Artist, etc), plus leveling up. It also gives you some humanoid monsters (Goblins, Orcs, Ogres, etc.)

For more complex (and fun) combat rules, you would want to add Martial Arts.

For more complex Cleric characters, you could add DF7.

For Sage characters you would need/want to add DF4.

For different types of Summoner characters, you would want to add DF9.

For Ninja character you would need/want to add DF12.

For characters with allies (e.g., Wizard Familar, Druid's friends, etc) you want to add DF5. Plus, as others have noted, it can be used for more monsters.

For higher "level" characters, DF11 Power Ups might be useful.

I would say DF6 (40 Artifacts), DF8 (Treasure Tables), and DF10 (Taverns) are most useful for building your own, rather than adapting an adventure.

Quote:
There is a conversion for the old D&D B1, Search for the Unknown (or something like that) out in the forum. I believe Collective-Restraint (sorry if I mangled the name) has a covertion for the old AD&D White Plume Mountain module.

I've done on the fly conversions of old D&D modules B2, Keep on the Borderland; X1 Isle of Dread; and A1, Slave Pits of the Undercity.

I've picked up 4e D&D module Specter Toer of Spellgard, and it looks fairly easy to convert.

Quote:
For most monsters, I do an equivalent GURPS monster. Some times I'll convert special abilties, if it is important for the feel of the encounter.

One thing I keep in mind is that the mechanics of D&D versus GURPS will mean some encounters are much more deadly than others; e.g., a group of 6 7th+ level D&D characters encountering 20 orcs in a fairly simple "mook" fight. 6 DF GURPS characters encountering 20 orcs can be anything from a simple mook mop up to a near TPK depending on how the party and monsters play and the luck of the die.

Quote:
I like to mix and match. I might use the "land" from an existing source, and add my own dugeons. Or I might add elements from existing source dungeons into my land.

If I only have a short prep time, I'd probably use an existing source dungeon.

Quote:
Any other advice?
I suggest starting small and buildup.

Have a few starter encounters to see how your players work together and what kinds of tactics they use, before putting them in the middle of fight for their lives.

One I commonly use is being ambushed by a small group of goblin worg-riders.

-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote