Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Ninja Spells?

Hello, all!

One of my players came up with an interesting request during character creation that I have not yet puzzled out. He wants to be a ninja (which is actually a first in all of the campaigns that I have played). However, he also wants spells like Invisibility and Haste and other ninja-type spells. Personally, I think he shouldn't have to pay for a ton of prerequisites if he just has a few spells that he wants to use. What's the best way to go about this? Could I set it up as some kind of Power Investiture kind of deal?

Also, does anyone have a list of ninja-type spells? I've checked tons of books (including DF 12: Ninjas) but I have had no luck thus far. Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Ninja Spells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Hello, all!

One of my players came up with an interesting request during character creation that I have not yet puzzled out. He wants to be a ninja (which is actually a first in all of the campaigns that I have played). However, he also wants spells like Invisibility and Haste and other ninja-type spells. Personally, I think he shouldn't have to pay for a ton of prerequisites if he just has a few spells that he wants to use. What's the best way to go about this? Could I set it up as some kind of Power Investiture kind of deal?

Also, does anyone have a list of ninja-type spells? I've checked tons of books (including DF 12: Ninjas) but I have had no luck thus far. Thanks!
Some of these might be handled by cinematic Chi skills. Invisibility Art (B202) lets him vanish in plain sight, though viewers get a chance of seeing through it with an Quick Contest of Vision vs skill. It has prerequisites of Stealth and Trained by a Master (which a Ninja should have anyways) and Hypnotism (which is also a prereq for the thematically appropriate Hypnotic Hands, MA61).

There isn't a Haste-emulating Chi skill, though until recently that wasn't really a hallmark of Ninja. He could take Enhanced Move, or simply buy up his Basic Move, either one with the Chi power modifier. If he wants to attack more rapidly, that's handled by TbaM (which halves the normal Rapid Strike penalty) or the Extra Attacks advantage.

Of course, there are several versions of Ninja who do use magic, often casting spells through meditation and complex finger contortions. You could build them a style (see Thaumatology: Magic Styles for more on this) focused on the Colleges of Body Control, Illusion and Movement. Limited Magery would certainly be appropriate for them. Depending on the source material though, masters could branch out into Telepathy, Astral and Temporal travel, shapeshifting, and control of the elements and weather.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Some of these might be handled by cinematic Chi skills. Invisibility Art (B202) lets him vanish in plain sight, though viewers get a chance of seeing through it with an Quick Contest of Vision vs skill. It has prerequisites of Stealth and Trained by a Master (which a Ninja should have anyways) and Hypnotism (which is also a prereq for the thematically appropriate Hypnotic Hands, MA61).

There isn't a Haste-emulating Chi skill, though until recently that wasn't really a hallmark of Ninja. He could take Enhanced Move, or simply buy up his Basic Move, either one with the Chi power modifier. If he wants to attack more rapidly, that's handled by TbaM (which halves the normal Rapid Strike penalty) or the Extra Attacks advantage.

Of course, there are several versions of Ninja who do use magic, often casting spells through meditation and complex finger contortions. You could build them a style (see Thaumatology: Magic Styles for more on this) focused on the Colleges of Body Control, Illusion and Movement. Limited Magery would certainly be appropriate for them. Depending on the source material though, masters could branch out into Telepathy, Astral and Temporal travel, shapeshifting, and control of the elements and weather.
After reading your reply, I realized that he should stay far away from spells. Haha. As a ninja, he should be able to do things readily and on the fly. The cinematic techniques idea is actually something that never occurred to me. Duh.

Well, here is a power that he described and wants. I have no idea of how to build something like it though... Shadow-jumping. He'll be taking the Shadow Form advantage, but he wants something a little more. He's talking melting into a tree's shadow and reappearing in the cast shadow of a boulder not too far away. I'd love it in advantage form. Haha.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Hello, all!
Hey.

Quote:
However, he also wants spells like Invisibility and Haste and other ninja-type spells. Personally, I think he shouldn't have to pay for a ton of prerequisites if he just has a few spells that he wants to use. What's the best way to go about this? Could I set it up as some kind of Power Investiture kind of deal?
If you're the GM, and you feel like it, then yeah. If you have other PCs that did buy magic spells using the normal progressions and the ninja doesn't have any balancing drawback to his power source, however, I would recommend charging the ninja an Ignore Prerequisite Perk for each spell to keep it fair.

Quote:
Also, does anyone have a list of ninja-type spells?
Mage Stealth and personal-mobility Movement spells like Wallwalker and Teleport should probably be your first stops besides Invisibility for the cinematic, "black pajamas" style of ninja if that's what you're going for. For a more realistic take closer to history (other than the magic part, of course), stuff like Alter Visage, Alter Body, and Illusion Disguise will help the ninja get closer to his target, and maybe even escape after he ganks them. Create Object is indispensable for the "MacGuyver" style ninja who always has what random gear he needs. Death Touch is also a handy classic.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Anaraxes

The base advantage for teleporting is Warp (p. B97). It's pretty expensive -- not least because it's powerful. 100 points base. Limited to 10 yards range, -50%. Let's say Shadow-Shadow Only is -20%, and the Chi power modifier is -10%, for the max -80%. So, 20 points. Notice that you can use Warp as a defense, though it's tricky unless you have the Reflexive enhancement.

As long we we're talking ninja, you might want to look at Obscure (B72) as well.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Refplace

Not really aware of any "Ninja" specific spell list, usually they rely on skill and Chi abilities. However the Power Investiture idea is workable.
Just say the powers come from the Clan or an ancient tie to a deity the clan has, same issues with disrespecting the clan/deity apply.
The list is likely to be pretty useful compared to other spell lists which have some points spent on non adventure spells. Depends on what your player is after.
Rough grab bag..
No-Smell
Climbing
Grace
Vigor
Tanglefoot
Hold Breath
Balance
Awaken
Stop Bleeding
Alarm
Test Load
Night Vision
Flash
Blur
Hide
Daze
Vigil
Haste
Deflect Missile
Grease
Jump
Locksmith
Wallwalker
Light Tread
Catch Missile
Mage-Stealth

Note the list is light on combat, heavy on stealth and has a few useful tricks based off Ninja tropes. I skipped some disguise stuff though. Also I think Invisibility is a bit much so gave ti stealth instead.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The base advantage for teleporting is Warp (p. B97). It's pretty expensive -- not least because it's powerful. 100 points base. Limited to 10 yards range, -50%. Let's say Shadow-Shadow Only is -20%, and the Chi power modifier is -10%, for the max -80%. So, 20 points. Notice that you can use Warp as a defense, though it's tricky unless you have the Reflexive enhancement.

As long we we're talking ninja, you might want to look at Obscure (B72) as well.
Ooh. I really like the way that sounds. I think this with Shadow Form, Obscure, TbaM and cinematic skills, and a few Innate Attacks will give him just what he needs and do it without magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Not really aware of any "Ninja" specific spell list, usually they rely on skill and Chi abilities. However the Power Investiture idea is workable.
Just say the powers come from the Clan or an ancient tie to a deity the clan has, same issues with disrespecting the clan/deity apply.
The list is likely to be pretty useful compared to other spell lists which have some points spent on non adventure spells. Depends on what your player is after.
-SNIP-
Blur
Haste
Deflect Missile
Wallwalker
Light Tread
-SNIP-

Note the list is light on combat, heavy on stealth and has a few useful tricks based off Ninja tropes. I skipped some disguise stuff though. Also I think Invisibility is a bit much so gave ti stealth instead.
How could I get some of the above spells in advantage form? Please pardon my laziness. I'll look if I have to, but if anyone has any ideas then I'll just take that and go.

Last edited by Raekai; 06-19-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Well, here is a power that he described and wants. I have no idea of how to build something like it though... Shadow-jumping. He'll be taking the Shadow Form advantage, but he wants something a little more. He's talking melting into a tree's shadow and reappearing in the cast shadow of a boulder not too far away. I'd love it in advantage form. Haha.
Warp with appropriate limitations, Chi PM -10%, Special Portals: Big enough Shadows-20%, Range Limit: 10 yard -50% [20]

Warp (Chi PM, -10%; Special Portals: Big enough Shadows, -20%; Range Limit: 20 yard, -45%; Requires Gestures, -5%;) [20] gives an alternative that requires naruto-style hand gestures

Last edited by roguebfl; 06-19-2012 at 03:54 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Blur
Haste
Deflect Missile
Wallwalker
Light Tread

How could I get some of the above spells in advantage form? Please pardon my laziness. I'll look if I have to, but if anyone has any ideas then I'll just take that and go.
Deflect Missile would be the Parry Missile Weapon cinematic skill.
Lizard Climb is a fancy climbing skill.
Light Walk is yet another skill.
So really all the above can be done with Cineamtic skills out of Basic or Martial Arts except Blur and Haste.
Haste could just be a boost to move and DX that costs FP and has the Ninja PM suggested for the other powers.

Blur can be done with Obscure (take Defensive and Stealthy) Maybe Glamour as a limitation, it fits the hypnotic mind fooling theme.
It doesn't work exactly like blur for combat but pretty close. Could also look at Anti targeting from Psionic Powers but probably skip it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #10
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
How could I get some of the above spells in advantage form?
Try this site here
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character creation, magic, ninja, prerequisite, spells