Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #21
BetaTesterZERO

Default Re: Ghost Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
You get starting wealth according to your wealth level. It doesn't matter if you work or not.

That being said, your character needs to pay the cost of living for his status.

An Independent Income will do fine there. You don't even need to fake a job, the character could have investments or an allowance, whatever works for the setting and your character.

In my game the characters will have no steady income for several years, but they have savings and will earn some in game. Also a few of them have independent income.
OK, so.

About faking a job, it makes sense on the background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
I suppose I might say "only for the purposes of determining Independent Income" might be a -80% limitation on Wealth. It basically makes it useless except to generate income.
Very clever solution!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Starting Wealth? What does Starting Wealth have to do with it?
She is the index to determine the Independent Income. Or am I mistaken?
BetaTesterZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaTesterZERO View Post
No you are not mistaken your starting wealth level as defined by the advantage/disadvantage or for 0 points Average wealth level you selected decides how much money you make each month for every level of independent income you have.

Ultimately having a job gurps is pretty optional for several types of campaign as characters "adventure" for a living instead which has no fixed job roll or monthly income attached to it but is instead "whatever we find and can take for our characters".

It is unusual but possible for a dead broke character to have 1,000,000$ in gurps. It just means that he started with no money and each month he is earning via job rolls 0$ until he buys up his wealth level in play. It also means that the 1,000,000$ the dead broke has no campaign insurance against the GM taking it away either.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
BetaTesterZERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
Ultimately having a job gurps is pretty optional for several types of campaign as characters "adventure" for a living instead which has no fixed job roll or monthly income attached to it but is instead "whatever we find and can take for our characters".
3 posts before I just had no idea about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
It is unusual but possible for a dead broke character to have 1,000,000$ in gurps. It just means that he started with no money and each month he is earning via job rolls 0$ until he buys up his wealth level in play. It also means that the 1,000,000$ the dead broke has no campaign insurance against the GM taking it away either.
Perfect!
BetaTesterZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
Nosforontu

Quote:
3 posts before I just had no idea about that.
You are not the first person on these boards to be a bit confused by the Gurps Wealth Rules and will no doubt not be the last to be so as well. Its a rules section that people (inluding myself a time or two) tend to make assumptions about that don't appear by a strict reading of the advantage/disadvanatage.

Quote:
Perfect!
Keep in mind my example is seen by many GMs as a rules exploit as GMs are encouraged to make sure the disadvantages that PC has on his character sheet actually hinder them in play to keep them from being free points.

Its a possible exploit but it also does a good example of a character who wins the lottery quits their job doesnt make any real investments with the money and slowly goes broke as they don't work and have no good investments earning them new money.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
David Johnston2

Quote:

But the income from the "job" is what you need to match, not the starting wealth.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
Anaraxes

Quote:
Starting Wealth? What does Starting Wealth have to do with it?
The amount from Independent income is determined as a percentage of starting wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B26
Your monthly income is 1% of your starting wealth (adjusted for wealth level) per level of this trait, to a maximum of 20%.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I've suggested before that you might allow a leveled Rules Exception to exceed the 20% cap on II by 1%/per level (essentially making the cost of additional II cost 2/level) then cap that at whatever you want (Job Income for your Wealth level seems like as good a cap as any). Last time I suggested it, nobody seemed to like it much, but I don't really see the problem.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #28
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The amount from Independent income is determined as a percentage of starting wealth.
But starting wealth is not the dollar value you can or should try to achieve with independent income.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
But starting wealth is not the dollar value you can or should try to achieve with independent income.
I think the OP is trying to get the Job Income appropriate for the fake job at a TL where that doesn't work. It would help, I think if the OP would tell us the TL and the desired Wealth level for the character that would help. Again, though I still don't see the problem with using Rules Exemption to exceed the cap, regardless.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #30
Dwarf99

I don't want to do a new thread, but I've always wondered how to do grants, like for college that just give you one check to spend over the 9 months or so of school...

I'd imagine it'd be enough levels of Independent Income with a new modifier: Lump Sum... It may need to exceed 20 points if the grant was high enough, I know I was getting about 16K in grants when I was going. Well, to be fair 11,000 of it was more like Patron (Arkansas Rehabilitation Services), and I actually saw checks aroud 5000 bucks a year. (25 levels)

What would the Cosmic modifier be? 50% 100%?
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character creation, character points, character sheet, character stats