Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Housecat-sized octopus vs. SCUBA-equipped commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Sometimes I think everyone's forgotten about poor old Hamfisted.
So right; good as a name and in the technical write up.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Once an octopus has stuck on to you, it is very difficult to get it off until it decides to let you go (or, presumably, if you kill it). I really doubt a +12 to strangulation is justified, but I can see +12 to maintain a grapple.

Of course, the real reason for this is the suckers, not the extra arms.

Luke
I still say + infinity isn't useful if it doesn't have the strength to harm you.

I wonder if the suckers should be a limitation in an environmentally diverse setting as they wouldn't have such a grip while wearing clothes or a spacesuit.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #33
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigonomicon View Post
Wait, why on earth do octopuses have Bad Grip? Their tentacles are covered in suction cups.
No idea. Maybe the fact that they can't coordinate their limbs to full theoretical efficiency for purposes of grasping.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #34
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Their somatic / manual dexterity intelligence seems far greater than apes. But I doubt they have much in the way of linguistic / social intelligence.
Well, they understand shapes, can learn from observing another even when not deliberately taught, and reportedly shale with fish if they don't have other company to go along (this one probably depends on the species and individual). I don't expect them to learn sign language.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #35
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Once an octopus has stuck on to you, it is very difficult to get it off until it decides to let you go (or, presumably, if you kill it). I really doubt a +12 to strangulation is justified, but I can see +12 to maintain a grapple.
Well, the official template does cough up the points for 6 Extra Arms (Extra-Flexible too).

Quote:
Of course, the real reason for this is the suckers, not the extra arms.
Do you think they should have Clinging? (I did give Clinging to a fictional cephalopod which is the root cause of this thread, but I wonder if real ones qualify.)
Old 07-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #36
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I still say + infinity isn't useful if it doesn't have the strength to harm you.
How do you calculate the point at which something doesn't have the strength to harm you? Strangulation is a Quick Contest, and given enough time, ST3 can strangle ST10.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
How do you calculate the point at which something doesn't have the strength to harm you? Strangulation is a Quick Contest, and given enough time, ST3 can strangle ST10.
It shouldn't as that is silly.
I know it's horrible overkill, but I wonder if we could research the amount of pressure it takes to strangle an average person and fix that as a ratio of average strength. Those too weak to ever exert that level of pressure are just out of luck.
The Wikipedia article lists blood vessel occlusion at 3.4 N / cm^2. I'm not sure how that is adjusted for thick or strong resisting necks.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #38
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Well, they understand shapes, can learn from observing another even when not deliberately taught, and reportedly shale with fish if they don't have other company to go along (this one probably depends on the species and individual). I don't expect them to learn sign language.
Smart for a mammal and freakishly so for an invertebrate is still not even close to what 3rd edition called presapient like parrots, apes, some monkey species, and a few individuals of other critters.

Mimicking others is unusual for a not otherwise social animal. I must admit that. Most cats don't even do that.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #39
Refplace

Quote:
It shouldn't as that is silly.
I know it's horrible overkill, but I wonder if we could research the amount of pressure it takes to strangle an average person and fix that as a ratio of average strength. Those too weak to ever exert that level of pressure are just out of luck.
The Wikipedia article lists blood vessel occlusion at 3.4 N / cm^2. I'm not sure how that is adjusted for thick or strong resisting necks.
It requires very little strength to choke someone out if you know what your doing.
Usually it is done with the inside elbow but I have done it with my hand.
Even with no bones wrapping around the neck will give you more leverage I think, much like a snake.

Quote:
Well, the official template does cough up the points for 6 Extra Arms (Extra-Flexible too).

Do you think they should have Clinging? (I did give Clinging to a fictional cephalopod which is the root cause of this thread, but I wonder if real ones qualify.)
Clnging does not help you grip something as I read it, only helps you climb.
I would like to see an enhancement to change that though. then maybe add Lifting ST one power only.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #40
lwcamp

Quote:
Yup. They certainly can cling to surfaces very well.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, commoner, grappling, housecat, octopodes, octopus