Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
OldSam

Default Shotgun - Choke / Scattering?

hi,
I tried searching through Basic, High-Tech and some Forum-threads but I did not find a clear statement to shotgun-choke in GURPS yet...

On B409 it is explained that e.g. RoF 3x9 releases 27 buckshot pellets and then shooting on a single target is just normal rapid fire.
- But what if I try to shoot e.g. on the center of two or three targets in hexfields next to each other in a distance about 40 yards?

Answers I've seen yet, seem to imply that the scattering-effect is usually overestimated and is not significant for the resolution of the game...?
Or is there a rule for this effect anywhere in the RAW?

I would have thought that a little "spread"-effect exist, since e.g. stories about past combat shotgun usage in Vietnam claim that it was effective against multiple targets. In a wikipedia-article it is said that a 12 gauge shotgun at 40 yds distance can have a total spread of 59 inch (150cm).
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun#Pattern_and_choke )

Shouldn't this be enough to justify at least some "partial" hits (or chances to hit) in the neighboring hex-fields at that distance?
(Maybe something like the rule for "Missing the Wrong Target" on B389 could be applied for the neighboring fields?)

And then: How would the different hits be shared over multiple targets?
Maybe in a similar way like the "Spraying Fire"-rule on B409 but with equal distribution?
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choke, faq, kromm explanation, shotgun