Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2017, 12:04 AM   #1
Tim Kauffman

Default OGRE self-destruction...

Some Fan musings on the topic...

FanMade OGRE Self-Destruct Command Function (OSDCF) Rule. (A working iteration of the official SD rule):

The 1st edition OGRE could self-destruct, then it was dropped...unfortunately. Imho, it should have been kept with a point value if you want to equip an OGRE with one or not.
The 1st draft 6th edition OGRE NINJA had self-destruct capability, but was also dropped in the latest, final version of the NINJA...unfortunately.
"The Ninja can self-destruct. Treat this as a Cruise Missile detonation. Note that the Ninja is intelligent and probably does not want to die."
[Official]

Imho, detonating with the force of a Cruise Missile may be too much. (Maybe this is why it was officially dropped?...it did give the OGRE extra attack range if used as a last attack, especially in the Attack The CP Scenarios). However, Imho, OGREs should be able to self-destruct as a optional ability if paid for based on the OGREs chassis/Mark size. The blast damage is progressively more the larger the OGRE, and it is in the same hex, less than the Cruise Missile OP attack. However, I do reserve the Cruise Missile detonation for the FanMade Mark 4 SHINOBI since it really suits that unique OGRE. If Combine would put such a cutting edge SD Technology on any of it's OGREs, it would be this one. All other Stealth OGREs were equipped with SD to prevent enemy capture and maximize their attack potential.

The OGREs Mark size equals the Attack Strength all units in the same hex as it is in when self-destructing suffer.

* Mark 1, PIKEMAN = Attack Strength 1.
* Mark 2 = Attack Strength 2.
* Mark 3, 3B, NINJA = Attack Strength 3.
* Mark 4 = Attack Strength 4.
* Mark 5, FENCER = Attack Strength 5.
* Mark 6, DOPPELSOLDNER = Attack Strength 6.

* The FanMade Mark4 SHINOBI detonates with the force of a Cruise Missile.

+ Spillover Fire is not used for Self-Destruction attacks.

+ When self-destructing in the same hex as other OGREs or SUPERHEAVIES, attacks are against all the OGRE/SHVY weapons and tread units individually. Attacking OGRE/SHVY tread units this way is at 1:1 odds and targets them as many times as the self-destructing OGREs Mark size and damage equals the OGREs Mark size. NOTE: Unless the Self-Destruct is against a Non-Record Sheet SHVY, in which case it is attacked as a single unit as normal.

+ Self-Destruct occurs at the end of the Self-Destructing OGREs turn.

+ When using the official "OVERRUN COMBAT 8.00" rules while following the "8.04 Resolving an overrun attack." the OGRE Self-Destructs just before it is destroyed and removed from the game by the Overrun Attack.

+ All Stealth OGREs are equipped with Self-Destruct.

The reason for mandatory equipping of this ability on all the Stealth OGREs was as a deterrent to prevent enemy capture and study of these rare and cutting edge units. The added cost of this technology was certainly worth being used on the Stealth Units, however, only marginally so on non-stealth OGREs unless their mission orientation made them so.

I always liked the concept the OGRE could do one last "from hell's heart I stab at thee" attack. Exploding with the force of a Cruise Missile seems OP, maybe. So, just kicking around something that may work...keep the blast area in a single hex with variable damage based on the Mark of the OGRE. Easy to remember and execute and it's optional if you want the capability, you pay more, if not, don't. I think it has a place in OGRE. Maybe this tweeked iteration has merit.

I did some FanMade Stealth OGREs and they all are able to use the self-destruct..."SEPUKU" command as standard equipment which uses the officially dropped rule modified.
I have a poll going over on OGRE GEV BATTLESUIT
https://www.facebook.com/groups/114841403769/

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 05-19-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote