Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 07-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
AberranTux

Default US city-states

http://fakeisthenewreal.org/statesmetros/

"The fifty largest metro areas (in blue), disaggregated from their states (in orange). Each has been scaled and sorted according to population. The metro areas are US-Census defined CBSAs and MSAs."

It includes the seven MSAs specified on p.61 of Fifth Wave as having become independent of the surrounding states. For those of you who don't have FW handy, those are Atlanta, Chicago, Greater San Francisco (including San Jose, which Freeman shows separately), Miami, New York City, San Diego and Seattle.

Now all we need to produce a complete map of the 2100 US is an official definition of the borders of Cibola.
AberranTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: US city-states

Its a nice concept, but the implementation (the linked map) appears to be sloppy. He takes the entire county if any part of it is in the metropolitan area. The salt lake city area according to him crosses the state east to west, including miles of mountainous national forest and empty salt flats. For those of you who don't know, the area runs north-south, not east-west. The actual area is that little blob in the middle.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AberranTux View Post

"The fifty largest metro areas (in blue), disaggregated from their states (in orange). Each has been scaled and sorted according to population. The metro areas are US-Census defined CBSAs and MSAs."

It includes the seven MSAs specified on p.61 of Fifth Wave as having become independent of the surrounding states. For those of you who don't have FW handy, those are Atlanta, Chicago, Greater San Francisco (including San Jose, which Freeman shows separately), Miami, New York City, San Diego and Seattle.

Now all we need to produce a complete map of the 2100 US is an official definition of the borders of Cibola.
This would make an interesting model for a one hundred state USA. As the G.O.P. has little real pull in cities and the Democrats are weak in rural areas, it would be a sharply divided USA. The balance would slightly favor the Democrats.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
AberranTux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its a nice concept, but the implementation (the linked map) appears to be sloppy. He takes the entire county if any part of it is in the metropolitan area. The salt lake city area according to him crosses the state east to west, including miles of mountainous national forest and empty salt flats.
It's my understanding, admittedly based on Wikipedia, that that's how they calculate metropolitan areas IRL. I'm more concerned with the way it basically cuts New Jersey to ribbons, since Salt Lake City is still part of the Utah of 2100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This would make an interesting model for a one hundred state USA.
I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Quote:
As the G.O.P. has little real pull in cities and the Democrats are weak in rural areas, it would be a sharply divided USA.
(Insert obvious joke here.)

Last edited by AberranTux; 07-12-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to close a tag.
AberranTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
Keiko
Banned

Quote:

Very interesting ideas. I had similar thoughts.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This would make an interesting model for a one hundred state USA. As the G.O.P. has little real pull in cities and the Democrats are weak in rural areas, it would be a sharply divided USA. The balance would slightly favor the Democrats.
"Slightly" may be an understatement. The Senate might be closer to evenly divided (if each city-state got two Senators, doubling the size of the Senate), but the House of Representatives would be heavily skewed toward city-state representation.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Most non US readers may have no idea with the G.O.P. is, I had to google it. The Republicans is a much better known term.
Forgive me, G.O.P. is commonplace over here.

Ancora Imparo
Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
Astromancer

Quote:

I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
I don't say this would make a better USA, only an interesting one. As in May you live in interesting times.

Ancora Imparo
Old 07-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
"Slightly" may be an understatement. The Senate might be closer to evenly divided (if each city-state got two Senators, doubling the size of the Senate), but the House of Representatives would be heavily skewed toward city-state representation.
Almost all of the City-States would have Democrats in the senate, some rural areas like Vermont or New Mexico, and small well mixed states like Rhode Island, would also be Democratic.

Ancora Imparo
Old 07-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Please note that would only be an initial set up: if one side find it has an advantage, the center tends to drift so that it doesn't. the roughly 50/50 split in american politics is a consequence of the political system, not american political beliefs.

Some metros will vote conservative. Salt Lake City, for example. And a lot of metros leaving will stick a state back in the conservative side -- perhaps even places like California.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city-states, geography, usa