Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
DocRailgun

Default Re: Everyone get +4 for free against berserkers

I think you're missing the point that GURPS is a generic ruleset. Not every Advantage, Disadvantage, weapon, or combat maneuver has to be optimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If a maneuver translates as 'why would I ever use this', it's not fine. Unless you're basically untrained, all-out attack is a terrible option.
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRailgun View Post
I think you're missing the point that GURPS is a generic ruleset. Not every Advantage, Disadvantage, weapon, or combat maneuver has to be optimal.
Okay, but it's also unrealistic. There's certainly a wide range of offense vs defense, but the situations where you aren't using some degree of evasive movement are basically zero.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Actually, that's not the issue. The issue is whether they will be unable to attack you next turn, which basically translates as 'already stunned'.
Well that simply changes which second they are "unavailable". For most non combatants, the first one to hit wins. Even for combatants getting a knife to the guts will stun virtually anyone.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Okay, but it's also unrealistic. There's certainly a wide range of offense vs defense, but the situations where you aren't using some degree of evasive movement are basically zero.
Are talking about all out attacks for berserkers or in general as a tactic? Berserkers are by nature dangerously insane.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
Refplace

All Out Attack is a perfectly viable mode when your foes cant hurt you and even possibly useful if your pretty sure you can kill your foe before he has a chance to strike back.
So saying it should not be allowed because it is not right for all situations is silly.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #16
Johnny Angel

All-Out Attack is something that I believe cannot be judged solely on one possible situation. On a personal level, do I feel it's usually stupid to put myself in a situation where I cannot defend myself? Yeah, I do, but that's because the default situation I think of is one-on-one, and because I'm trained to view combat in a particular way. Still, there are times when an all-out can be a good idea.

1) You feel confident that your enemy cannot hurt you. I've seen this occur in-game during fights between someone who was heavily armored and someone who was poorly armed.

2) You have friends who can help you defend. There are perks and techniques which allow for a group to fight together and defend each other. This is a technique I've used in a game before, and it can work really well. One guy can AOA to dish out punishment, and those around him can use some of their defenses to defend him.

3) Chances are you're going to die anyway, so you want to go out swinging...
Sometimes, going for the lucky shot; the dying act of heroics is the only thing you have left. You're beaten and broken, and running away is no longer an option, so you decide to swing for the fences and hope for the best.

4) You're confident that you can kill your foe in one shot, and he won't be able to respond.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
Phoenix_Dragon

One of the scariest things I've ever seen was a Teamwork-equipped party with Shield-Wall and defensive-attacking Weapon-Master in front, and the big-but-slow heavy doing all-out-attacks from behind with a long-reaching weapon, in a channelized environment (Dungeon-crawling). (And actually, the "channelized environment" wasn't really needed, they provided good defensive coverage even in open-field fighting, particularly once the Weapon Master got Sacrificial Parry)

There are situations where AoA is very bad, but at the same time, there are situations where AoA is very good.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
Blood Legend

When I GM, my NPCs don't automatically recognize an all-out attack. That requires a perception based skill roll for situational awareness at -4, +2 with combat relfexes, +2 if telegraphed, + any additional evaluate bonus, which I treat as an automatic process. They (I) wont take explicit advantage of an All-Out Attack unless they detect it. Otherwise, foes continue dumping skill levels into deceptive strikes or making useless feints.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 06-08-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #19
tbone

Quote:
I would probably either allow berserkers to make Committed Attacks or change All-Out Attack to be a -4 to defense (cannot retreat, cannot defend with a weapon used this turn).
The latter is something I played with long ago, though never injected full-scale into a game. Essentially, I was looking for another way to let highly skilled fighters – say, a Bruce Lee type – do more amazing stuff without negating every scrap of defense. A -4 defense penalty for taking All-Out Attack effectively nerfs defense for unskilled fighters, but still leaves Bruce with a possibility of defense while he makes double attacks or whatever else AoA allows. (I especially thought it sensible for the reason gilbertocarlos pointed out: Even stunned characters get a defense at -4; surely an unstunned Bruce Lee could maintain that much defense regardless of his attack choices?)

BUT, I left the idea behind, instead focusing on things skilled fighters could do as a tradeoff for TH. Like multiple attacks, now a happy part of 4e, along with other nifty new 4e options like Committed Attack.

Still, though... the idea of AoA creating a big defense penalty, instead of nuking defense, has appeal. It lets the other guy remain confident that he'll overcome an all-out attacker's defenses, but not boringly certain... It'd be fun to play with the idea again, or hear other people's playtest reports. (And in the absence of any change there, I agree: it may be more fun to let berserkers make Committed Attacks, perhaps with a reduction in the point value of the disad.)

Whatever is or isn't done to AoA, though, let me give the 4e team a thumbs-up for Telegraphic Attack. It's one of my favorite additions to the rules: it's really simple, and gets the feel of low-skill fighters just right. With Telegraphic Attack, the unskilled don't just whiff harmlessly at air, as they typically do in other RPGs; rather, they can manage to get on target, but are easy to defend against. Perfect! (It was also a thoroughly new idea to me, and not an addition that lets me haughtily sniff "oh, I was playing that well before 4e." : )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #20
Balor Patch

Berserk can be a good deal in a very low level campaigns. When the best defenses are 13's including retreat and HT runs 11-13, taking AoA (double) isn't much of a loss and the +4 is huge. Once defenses get serious then not having any gets very serious.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-out attack, berserk, berserker, block, telegraphic