Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
oakpack4

Default Transformer Racial template question

My google-fu has failed me for a problem that others have probably come across:

One of my players wants to be a transformer who transforms into a car which I whipped out at a whopping 287 points (and I invite anyone to critique it and I invite anyone to critique it). I also need to build another racial template for the robot part of his race - but this has alternate form in it. If the robot form comes up under 287 points, Alternate Form costs him 273 points. If the robot form costs more, then Alternate Form costs 15 points. But if the robot form before alternate form is X points, and X>287, then the robot form costs X+273 which is likely greater than 287. Which way does this swing?
oakpack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
gjc8

Default Re: Transformer Racial template question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakpack4 View Post
If the robot form comes up under 287 points, Alternate Form costs him 273 points. If the robot form costs more, then Alternate Form costs 15 points. But if the robot form before alternate form is X points, and X>287, then the robot form costs X+273 which is likely greater than 287. Which way does this swing?
Note the paragraph at the end of the Alternate Form entry about Shapeshifting races. Take the price of everything EXCEPT Alternate Form in the base form, take the difference in price between that and new form, and use that difference to figure how much Alternate Form.

Quote:
One of my players wants to be a transformer who transforms into a car which I whipped out at a whopping 287 points (and I invite anyone to critique it and I invite anyone to critique it)
It would be more clear if you wrote things out in a little more detail, specify what limitations are in place, what specific Injury Tolerances you have, etc.

You probably don't need the Innate Attack; when the car hits someone, use the rules for slams, when you run them over, use the rules for trampling.

I don't think you need Universal Digestion if the car just runs on gasoline. You'd only need that if the car could run on a broad range of chemicals.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
oakpack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
Note the paragraph at the end of the Alternate Form entry about Shapeshifting races. Take the price of everything EXCEPT Alternate Form in the base form, take the difference in price between that and new form, and use that difference to figure how much Alternate Form.

You probably don't need the Innate Attack; when the car hits someone, use the rules for slams, when you run them over, use the rules for trampling.

I don't think you need Universal Digestion if the car just runs on gasoline. You'd only need that if the car could run on a broad range of chemicals.
Alright, thanks. I'm going to keep the Universal Digestion, as it's supposed to be a DeLorean from BTTF, and Doc Brown put all sorts of silly stuff in there.
oakpack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Maz

Quote:
Alright, thanks. I'm going to keep the Universal Digestion, as it's supposed to be a DeLorean from BTTF, and Doc Brown put all sorts of silly stuff in there.
Actually in movie 1 it only run on uranium of a specific type and is very rare and expensive or dangerous (as we find out) to acquire.

Only later does he ad the "runs on trash" but its' only biological stuff like banana peels and so on. But OK, I guess that too warrants Universal Digestion. Although one could argue Cast Iron Stomach is enough.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Dammann

I'd require Universal Digestion, if only because he is getting so much energy out of that trash that goes into Mr. Fusion (1.21 Gigawatts!).
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I'd require Universal Digestion, if only because he is getting so much energy out of that trash that goes into Mr. Fusion (1.21 Gigawatts!).
Except that is momentary output not a unit of energy. Universal digestion means that it could be powered by anything from banana peels to paper to peanut shells.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Actually in movie 1 it only run on uranium of a specific type and is very rare and expensive or dangerous (as we find out) to acquire.

Only later does he ad the "runs on trash" but its' only biological stuff like banana peels and so on. But OK, I guess that too warrants Universal Digestion. Although one could argue Cast Iron Stomach is enough.
For those familiar with the third movie, the inconvenient thing was that only the time travel aspect of the car ran on nuclear fission (plutonium from the Libyans) and later Mr. Fusion (the garbage eating thing they installed from the future) to generate the necessary energy. It still needed gasoline to actually drive.

One wonders if the movies had been released around now, with the high cost of gasoline, whether the old Doc wouldn't have rectified that as a priority...
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
dcarson

Mr. Fusion runs on hydrogen. Just lots of stuff have water in them so not quite universal, it would have problems with coal probably but anything organic probably has enough water.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote