Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default [G:DF] Building a spellfire wielder

One of the things I like about D&D is the variety of magic systems. One of the earliest books for the Forgotten Realms was Spellfire, about a young woman who discovers the ability to absorb magic and redirect it into offensive and healing uses. I've read the first two novels (never knew there was a third until a year or two ago, and the reviews are pretty dim), and have read up on the D&D 2E and 3E "crunch" on the abilities.

I was Reading Christopher Rice's designer notes on Metatronic Generators, and I realized that the Staff of Power's spell absorption ability actually kind of matches the Spellfire mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens & Pennies
Absorbs the first 10 points of damage from magical attacks and reduces Armor Divisors by one step. Additionally, every point of damage this stops heals 1 point of the staff’s mana reserve or your mana reserve. You can even hold onto excessive magical energy that exceeds your reseve, with excess points “bleeding away” at one point per second.

Damage Resistance 10 (Absorption, Heals Mana Reserve*, +80%), Force Field, +20%, Hardened 1, +20%; Limited, Magic, -20%) [50]
From reading this, I believe it's saying that it's a +100% on Damage Resistance? If DR is 5/level, how does it get to be (10x5 +100%) 50, instead of 100?

It also seems cheap because damage is converted directly into mana. How much mana in RPM is required to cast a 1d fireball (which then averages giving back 3.5 mana)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens & Pennies
Gives Energy Reserve 30 (Mana Reserve)

Energy Reserve 30 (Mana Reserve) [90]
On the other side, would ER that can only be used for the subset of powers (probably lifted from Sorcery...) involved in Spellfire be full-cost, or would a limit (-10%, maybe?) be allowed?
Old 02-02-2020, 11:57 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [G:DF] Building a spellfire wielder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
One of the things I like about D&D is the variety of magic systems. One of the earliest books for the Forgotten Realms was Spellfire, about a young woman who discovers the ability to absorb magic and redirect it into offensive and healing uses. I've read the first two novels (never knew there was a third until a year or two ago, and the reviews are pretty dim), and have read up on the D&D 2E and 3E "crunch" on the abilities.

I was Reading Christopher Rice's designer notes on Metatronic Generators, and I realized that the Staff of Power's spell absorption ability actually kind of matches the Spellfire mechanics.
I actually played a Spellfire wielder in both 2e and 3e - it was fun but the lack of HD made it suck. The 3e character actually became the Magister for a while before he gave up both mantles to save his lover. (Basically dropping like 15 levels.) I've read the book and I'm pretty familiar with the lore around it.

Quote:
From reading this, I believe it's saying that it's a +100% on Damage Resistance? If DR is 5/level, how does it get to be (10x5 +100%) 50, instead of 100?
Probably a mistake because I was writing too fast.

Quote:
It also seems cheap because damage is converted directly into mana. How much mana in RPM is required to cast a 1d fireball (which then averages giving back 3.5 mana)?
About 18 - one Greater Control Energy effect (6) + External Damage, 3d burning (0)

Quote:
On the other side, would ER that can only be used for the subset of powers (probably lifted from Sorcery...) involved in Spellfire be full-cost, or would a limit (-10%, maybe?) be allowed?
It would be full cost unless you had other powers. Basically, no free lunches.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote