Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
mirtexxan

Default Preparation required on always on advantages

It is legal to put the preparation required limitation on an always on trait?

Let's say it is (I found many examples, such as the text of modular abilities which explicitly calls out prepation required), and I apply the limitation on mana enhancer for instance.

Do I have to perform the ritual only once each day, and then have the ability always on for the day? Am I subjected to the limitations under "limited use"? (i.e. The advantage is turn on only for 1 minute before a new ritual is required?)

Please provide a reference to raw if you can.
Thank you.
mirtexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Preparation required on always on advantages

Its legal in at least some situations. Psionic Powers has it on Insubstantial (Astral Travel) and Possession (Netrunning) in combination with the maximum duration limitation. So at the very least, you can use those two in combination on always on advantages.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Aldric

I wanted to use it for a suit of armor designed as advantages with the gadget limitation, because I though it would make sense to take time to equip it (as opposed to just picking up an item) but it doesn't seem to work too well for that.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Hide

You should note that there are abilities with the always on beneficial effect (positive), and the always on limitation effect (negative).

In this respect, you usually can limit an ability with the always on (positive) effect; because you have control over the ability. For example, maximum duration is available for abilities with a switchable beneficial effect that you may indefinitely leave on. It is for abilities that do not take "always on" as a limitation (negative).

In your examples, "preparation required" could be a catch-all to activate either element of a modular ability. This is different than using "preparation required" directly with an always on (negative) limited ability, because preparation required applies as a discount for the modular ability suite and not the single ability within your suite.

On the other hand, if you want to limit a single ability featuring always on (negative) within a modular ability suite, you should check the "minimum duration" limitation. And then, you could force the ability to stay on for a minimum time until you can change it for another ability in your suite.

Finally, a limited ability is subject to "limited use" if you take the limitation named "limited use". If you apply other type of limitations, then you should follow the rules listed under them.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its legal in at least some situations. Psionic Powers has it on Insubstantial (Astral Travel) and Possession (Netrunning) in combination with the maximum duration limitation. So at the very least, you can use those two in combination on always on advantages.
PP29's breakdown of Astral Travel doesn't mention the "Always On" limitation, which is probably mutually exclusive with "Maximum Duration".

We should probably refer to switchable abilities that can last indefinitely (ie insubstantiality, possession, using "affects others") as "Indefinite Duration" or something along those lines.

My guess is even with switchable indefinite duration stuff you can still take 'prep required' and it would apply to prep required to take the ready maneuver needed to switch between substantial and insubstantial form?

P155 (Involuntary Deactivation: Unconsciousness) makes this an option for insubstantiality, something I don't think B62/B63 initially mentioned. A "permanent special effect" which can be specified at creation, so there doesn't seem to be an option like "I can switch whether unconsciousness reverts me or not".

P109's "Once On, Stays On" assigns a price for buying it on abilities where unconsciousness always reverts you, so if you did take that option for other stuff, it would seem fair to allow this enhancement to be bought for others as well, along with "Selectivity" so as to be able to switch that on and off so the user can toggle what effect he wants unconsciousness to have.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:29 AM   #6
mirtexxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
However, both insubstantial and possession are SWITCHABLE traits by default, non always on...

Let's imagine mana enhancer, for instance. How does the interaction with preparation required works?

Do I need to add "limited use" for the end results that I had in mind?
Old 02-01-2020, 04:34 AM   #7
mirtexxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
I wanted to use it for a suit of armor designed as advantages with the gadget limitation, because I though it would make sense to take time to equip it (as opposed to just picking up an item) but it doesn't seem to work too well for that.
Why? Actually by RAW is likely that your interpretation is more correct than mine :)

That is, you prepare the advantage ONLY ONCE, and then is alway on (your interpretation on the "suit of armor advantage") instead of you prepare the advantage and then you can use it only for a limited period of time (mine interpretation)
Old 02-01-2020, 04:38 AM   #8
mirtexxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Useful and well thought stuff
Thank you Hide, you were very helpful!
Old 02-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #9
Anaraxes

I'd rule that you simply can't use Prep Required on an Always On ability. Or, more precisely, that ability is no longer Always On, even if the base Advantage defaults that way.

See Powers p 153, "Turning Abilities Off and On".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers 153
Always On
This category includes all abilities with the Always On limitation and any ability that meets all three of these criteria:
2. The ability doesn’t have discrete “uses” built in or added via Costs Fatigue, Limited Use, Takes Recharge, etc.
Prep Required is a modifier that gives you one discrete use of an ability each time you prep it. While not specifically listed, it easily falls into the "etc" case. This isn't an exhaustive list. (Even were it missing the "etc", in GURPS rules, lists are rarely meant to be exhaustive and exclusive rather than illustrative examples.)

Absent any other modifiers to change the duration, the duration of that one use after prep would be the standard default duration. Duration would be 10 seconds by B101, though for non-combat abilties I'd probably go with the 1 minute duration specified by Limited Use. (10 seconds is a good "duration of combat" time, leaving some chance for running out dramatically in a long fight; 1 minute works better in out-of-combat time.)

Last edited by Anaraxes; 02-01-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:57 AM   #10
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtexxan View Post
It is legal to put the preparation required limitation on an always on trait?
That depends on the legal systems you put in your campaigns. A quick look at history shows that legality is a nebulous idea.

Or do you mean if it's valid in GURPS?

Yes. The first rule of GURPS is: Have fun. If you think placing limitations on advantages (and disadvantages) would enhance the fun, go for it.