Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
DangerousThing

Default Re: Realm Magic versus Ritual Path Magic [Thaumotology]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Are we talking about Realm magic unmodified or about when using your house-rule? because if its unmodified doubling the number of levels potentially doubles the FP cost of an effect.
As I understand it, realm magic is more of a meta-system for creating magic systems. The gm should adjust the fp cost for the type of magic desired.

I do feel that since, like Sorcery, realm magic costs a lot of cp, the fp cost should be relatively low.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #12
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
As I understand it, realm magic is more of a meta-system for creating magic systems. The gm should adjust the fp cost for the type of magic desired.

I do feel that since, like Sorcery, realm magic costs a lot of cp, the fp cost should be relatively low.
It seems like that to me, as well, but then, I'm pretty sure that all the systems in the GURPS Thaumatology core book are meant as system frameworks (Phil Masters posts in this forum sometimes, so we could ask him), with a few worked examples here and there - e.g. Oceanic Magic, pp 232-233, with a section on 'Magical (and Other) Interactions' on p 234, which is the only worked example of Realm Magic that I can find in the book. The other Thaumatology books are good sources for worked examples, but so far, I don't think I've seen any for Realm Magic in 4e (or for Symbol Drawing Magic, another one that I'm fond of).

The magic system for GURPS Mage: The Ascension is a system (or the system) that Realm Magic was clearly inspired by, and thus could be considered a worked example of same, but it might need some adapting, even if you have the book. I'm sort of wondering if we should start a thread for Realm Magic systems that people have worked up, or if there already is one.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #13
dataweaver

Bear in mind that GURPS Mage the Ascension is out of print and doesn't legally exist in digital form; and I will be shocked and amazed if that ever changes. Referencing it isn't particularly useful these days.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Yes, I agree. In truth though, the MtAs magical system is much different than the Realm Magic of GURPS. It is actually more similar to RPM, though RPM is a mechanically better magical system than either.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #15
dataweaver

To the extent that RPM is better, it's because its mechanics have received more attention. There's nothing fundamentally superior about the approach that RPM uses vs. The approach that Realm Magic uses; just differences in implementation details.

If SJGames were to publish a Realm Magic book where the system gets an overhaul with the kind of attention that RPM got in its book, the result would easily be competitive with RPM. As things stand, Realm Magic's flaws lie in the implementation, not the concept.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #16
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
To the extent that RPM is better, it's because its mechanics have received more attention. There's nothing fundamentally superior about the approach that RPM uses vs. The approach that Realm Magic uses; just differences in implementation details.

If SJGames were to publish a Realm Magic book where the system gets an overhaul with the kind of attention that RPM got in its book, the result would easily be competitive with RPM. As things stand, Realm Magic's flaws lie in the implementation, not the concept.
Agreed. I'd buy a realm magic book in a heartbeat.

I like real magic because it fits my idea of what rpg magic should be like. This is, of course, only my opinion.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:52 AM   #17
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
Agreed. I'd buy a realm magic book in a heartbeat.

I like real magic because it fits my idea of what rpg magic should be like. This is, of course, only my opinion.
funny enough, i had used RPM in my fantasy games and i'm trying to use Realm magic. Flavor wise, Realm magic is very cool: if you ever read (and i always suggest to read) "Malazan the book of the fallen", you will recognize the mechanic. And i think, for fantasy mages, it could become the most funny kind of magic: versatile, pretty cool and strong enough.

RPM from the other hand is more "preparation style" considering that in order to accumulate energy you need time
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #18
DangerousThing

I tried to use rpm once in a campaign, and the players hated it. Realm magic might be easier for them, but I'm planning to use Sorcery just in case.