Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Erling

Default Claws and Armor Divisor

So, as Basic Set doesn't allow Armor Divisor enhancement for Claws, I should use Powers p. 146 if I want to get armor-piercing Claws and stick with the RAW.

Is following build legit?

Step 1:
ST 12, Thrust 1d-1.

Step 2:
1d-1 equals to 0.7 dice. 0.7 x 5 = 3.5, round up to [4]. This doesn't cost points, it's just necessary for further calculations.

Step 3: Armor Divisor (2) costs +50%. I also assume it's a subject to Accessibility limitation (Only When Using Claws): -50%. Total modifier is +0%.

Step 4: [4] x 0% = 0. This enhancement doesn't cost points itself.

Step 4.1: Claws (Talons) cost [8] and it's subject to exactly same modifiers which were applied to damage (except for, I guess, Accessibility). So it'll cost [8]+50%, [12].

Total point cost for claws with Armor Divisor (2) is [12] points. Right?
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Claws and Armor Divisor

Step 3 should be multiplicative, not additive, so ({100%}+50%)×({100%}-50%) = {100%}+25%. I'm not even sure 'only when using claws' is fairly priced at -50% at all.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:29 AM   #3
Erling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Step 3 should be multiplicative, not additive, so ({100%}+50%)×({100%}-50%) = {100%}+25%.
Are you sure about that? Powers p.146 states that at Step 3 I should total modifiers, not costs. And at Step 4 I should multiply total modifier by "effective point cost" from Step 2.

Quote:
I'm not even sure 'only when using claws' is fairly priced at -50% at all.
I've looked through other Claws-related threads and encountered even -60% suggestions. Whatever, it's cost can vary - the main interest is the concept.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
Are you sure about that? Powers p.146 states that at Step 3 I should total modifiers, not costs. And at Step 4 I should multiply total modifier by "effective point cost" from Step 2.
That's odd, because you seem to be applying the limitation to the enhancement. Just adding them* up allows getting some (other) enhancements effectively for free.

* limitations that apply only to a particular enhancement, as opposed to a limitation that applies to the whole damage.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
Erling

Quote:
That's odd, because you seem to be applying the limitation to the enhancement.
Actually, I don't. I apply both enhancement and limitation straightly to the melee damage as if it was an advantage, as per B101 (+50% - 50% = 0%) and Powers 146.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
Erling

Here I have another variant based on "exactly the same modifiers" phrase from Powers.

Step 1:
ST 12, Thrust 1d-1.

Step 2:
1d-1 equals to 0.7 dice. 0.7 x 5 = 3.5, round up to [4]. This doesn't cost points, it's just necessary for further calculations.

Step 3: Armor Divisor (2) costs +50%, also add Accessibility limitation (Only When Using Claws): -20%. Total modifier is +30%.

Step 4: [4] x 30% = [2].

Step 4.1: Claws (Talons) cost [8] and it's subject to exactly same modifiers which were applied to damage (including Accessibility). So it'll cost [8]+30%, [11].

Total point cost for Claws with Armor Divisor (2) is [2]+[11] = [13] points

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be a rules lawyer, I'm just trying to understand how to build cyberblades in GURPS terms.

Quote:
Just adding them* up allows getting some (other) enhancements effectively for free.

* limitations that apply only to a particular enhancement, as opposed to a limitation that applies to the whole damage.
That's weird, I agree. If limitation (Only When Using Claws, -50%) was applied to enhancement (Armor Divisor, +50%), total enhancement cost would be +25%. But I don't know if limitations can be applied to enhancements, and it also seems (or it doesn't?) that Powers assume applying limitations to damage, not to enhancements.

Last edited by Erling; 12-16-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Bruno

The build is not legit, because any limitation applied to ST based damage in the way that you did applies to ST based damage ALL THE TIME, not just when using one specific or applicable attack.

You end up with 2 points for the ST based damage w/out the limitation. This is the advantage for "Armor divisor on my ST based damage". NOW apply the limitation.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
Erling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
NOW apply the limitation.
Apply to what?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
Erling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This is the advantage for "Armor divisor on my ST based damage". NOW apply the limitation.
Ahh, I see. Apply it to this advantage.

Then what shall the build be?

Step 1:
ST 12, Thrust 1d-1.

Step 2:

Step 3: Armor Divisor (2) costs +50%

Step 4: [4] x 50% = [2].

Step 4.1: Claws (Talons) cost [8] and it's subject to exactly same modifiers which were applied to damage. So it'll cost [8]+50%, [12].

Step 4.2. Armor Divisor (2) is now advantage, not enhancement. So I apply Accessibility limitation (Only When Using Claws, -50%). Total cost for advantage will be [1]

Total cost for Claws with Armor Divisor (2): [13]

Right?
Old 12-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
Varyon

I think you've got the right of it here, although you should probably base things on a cutting attack (base cost [7] rather than [5], so you're working with a virtual cost of [5] rather than [4]), and I'm not certain Only When Using Claws is really that meaningful of a Limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
I'm just trying to understand how to build cyberblades in GURPS terms.
You've got one way, which hews closest to the core books. A much easier way, however, is to use Natural Weapons from Pyramid #3/65 - assuming you're trying to make something like Molly's razor nails (from Neuromancer) as a Superfine weapon, this is probably Cutting Natural Weapon (Armor Divisor 2 +50%, Hidden +20%, Increased Damage +2 +60%, Cannot Parry -40%) [14]. Personally, I'd probably toss on Extra Damage Type (Pi+) for another +20%, boosting cost to [15]. That gives you retractable (free action) claws on each hand that can do Thr+2(2) cut or Thr+2(2) pi+. If you see them being targeted and attacked frequently, Resilient 2 +20% mimics the effect of Very Fine (Resilient 3 +40% makes the weapon outright unbreakable, but Resilient is mostly a waste of points when your weapon Cannot Parry anyway).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
destructive parry