Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
naloth

Default Alternative Create / Control progression

I've been experimenting with an alternate progression for how much weight you get per level with Control or Create. My current progression is: double the level then add 2, to find the modifier you use on the speed/range chart.

This creates the progression:
Lvl Lbs
1 10
2 20
3 50
4 100 (10x lvl 1 for +3 levels over 1)
5 200 (10x lvl 2 for +3 levels over 2)
6 500 (10x lvl 3 for +3 levels over 3)
... and so on.

Level 4 (100 lbs) lets you manipulate approximately one cubit foot (cf) of most materials since water comes in at ~72lbs/cf and dirt at ~80lbs/cf.

Level 8 (2000 lbs) lets you manipulate approximately one cubic yard (cy) of most materials since water comes in at ~1750 lbs/cy and dirt is about ~2000lbs/cy.
Level 9 (5000 lbs) allows 2 cy.
Level 10 (10k lbs) allows 5 cy.
... each further +3 on top of 8-10 multiply that value by 10 such that you have:
Lvl / Lbs / cy
11 / 20k / 10 cy
14 / 200k / 100 cy
17 / 2000k / 1000 cy
20 / 20,000k / 10,000 cy

Each cy is half a hex (since hexes are 1x1x2 yards), so these values easily translate into how many hexes you can move or fill up.

Thoughts?

Naturally the progression scales much faster. It creates a very usable 8 (1/2 hex) - 14 (50 hexes) range, especially if you limits levels to the scale you're playing at. Given the base cost of Create and Control, I figure you can normally buy a far more abusive area Innate Attack or Affliction.

Last edited by naloth; 01-29-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Put cy where it should have been cf.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Alternative Create / Control progression

I don't know if I've ever bought more than 1 level of Create considering how much one level can do, especially with enhancements. This price scheme might help that, and I appreciate how it lines up with the Speed/Range table.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Level 4 (100 lbs) lets you manipulate approximately one cubit foot (cy) of most materials since water comes in at ~72lbs/cy and dirt at ~80lbs/cy.
Cubic Foot (cf) or Cubic Yard (cy)? You say cubic foot then abbreviate cy.

And water weighs 62.5lbs/cf, not 72. "Dirt" can be anywhere from 40 lbs/cf (for lightly packed topsoil) to 100lbs/cf (for compressed or water-saturated soil or clay).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
Refplace

I think create and especially Control should progress faster so sounds goodto me.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Level 4 (100 lbs) lets you manipulate approximately one cubit foot (cy) of most materials since water comes in at ~72lbs/cy and dirt at ~80lbs/cy.
Water is 62lb per cubic foot. It would be 27 times that (~1674 lb) per cubic yard. Dirt will mass about 2.7 times water.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Water is 62lb per cubic foot. It would be 27 times that (~1674 lb) per cubic yard. Dirt will mass about 2.7 times water.
Yes, it should have been cf instead of cy. The "hex" is a cy. As for the size to weight generalizations, it was to say that a given level was enough to cover weight for that volume.

The general idea is that volumes are easier to conceptualize and use during a session than a weight, which you might have to google to look up and convert to a volume.

Last edited by naloth; 01-30-2020 at 04:30 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote