Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
kdtipa

Default GURPS Modern Fantasy Setting - Alternate History Help

Hi all,

I keep getting busy and dropping out of the forum for a while. I'm sorry for that. So many of you have helped me with things, and I don't think I'm contributing enough in return. And here I am again asking for more thoughts. Hopefully it's fun for you.

I'm writing a setting using GURPS rules for personal use. The trope it's based on is the idea of our modern world merging with a fantasy setting as we'd normally understand it. And our world is the dominant one. At some point in the 50s, rifts in space starting occurring randomly... no one knew what they were, but the rifts were pretty destructive if they intersected buildings (for example). Over time they increased in frequency, and eventually became more stable.

To try for a shorter explanation: the other world was dying, and the species from the fantasy world fled for our world. And magic came with them as part of a result of the rifts.

Among the species that came here are trolls. And in my setting, trolls are monsters that can stand up to technology. They have way too many hit points and ridiculous strength... and between the rifts doing damage, and the trolls actively hunting people for food in cities where it's really hard to bring military ordinance to bear... our population didn't skyrocket like it did in reality.

There are also elves, dwarves, fairies, and orcs (though orcs aren't inherently evil... just... not very friendly). And Dragons came through too... though, they're elephant sized instead of building sized. Dragons for the most part realized that we would turn all our destructive intelligence toward them if they hunted us, so they decided to stick with game animals for food, and some even work with humans for mutual benefit. Trolls are just not civilized and think more like animals... so they don't care about the consequences of hunting humans for food.

Magic is pretty common. Anyone can cast spells with training, though more powerful magic is not common, and enchanting is rare too. So magic won't replace technology, but it's pretty normal for a kid to be able to make magic light.

My request is for ideas on what major events would have happened differently. How would technology have grown differently knowing that healing magic exists for example? How would the cold war with Russia have been different if magic could make spies invisible? What kinds of things might have happened for the immigrating elves, dwarves, and halflings who need places of their own? How drastically different would their experiences be if coming from a world of kingdoms and waterwheels to a world of cars, skyscrapers, and guns?

I've got ideas, but in the scope of a world, I'm sure there's a lot I'd fail to consider or account for. And so I'm happy to hear ideas.

As a potentially important note: I may use this setting as a basis for a novel or set of novels, so if your idea is one you don't want me to include, please don't share it. The likelihood of me writing these novels is low, but I want to be upfront about my intentions so no one feels like I am stealing their ideas.

But far more likely is that this will be a game setting for my gaming group.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, fantasy, gurps, setting