Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Stapler Man

Default Turning on the lights

Is there an advantage that is effectively the opposite of obscure? for example a dude who glows and reduces darkness penalties for everyone looking into his area of effect? I've poked around and can't find anything like that.
Stapler Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Turning on the lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapler Man View Post
Is there an advantage that is effectively the opposite of obscure? for example a dude who glows and reduces darkness penalties for everyone looking into his area of effect? I've poked around and can't find anything like that.
It's a perk, Illumination. Or I suppose Create (Light) if you want to do it for a huge area. Affliction (Dark Vision) with an aura or area of effect could work too.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Stapler Man

illumination works kinda well actually. thanks :)
Stapler Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Langy

Create (Light) is a bit of a bastard child for, well, making light. It really should have better defined effects, including the area that's covered under the light, the duration, etc. As-is, we're left with a power rating listed in joules. That's... not very helpful.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Anaraxes

683 lumens = 1 watt = 1 J/s.

A lumen is 1 candela times 1 steradian. 4 pi steradians in a sphere, so one omidirectional candela is 12.6 lumens.

A candela is a standard candle. A typical 100-watt incandescent bulb = 23w flourescent is about 1600 lumens; 60w incandescent = 15w CFL is about 800.

I'm assuming that the created light is intended for human visibility, as the wavelength sensitivity of the human eye is tied into the definition of the lumen.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Adelus

I remember seeing a kludge somewhere that basically took Obscure and slapped a +0% modifier, "Reversed" on it.
Adelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
683 lumens = 1 watt = 1 J/s.
If you think that monochrome 555 nm light is ideal, sure. I'd go with the 251 lumens/watt of a truncated solar spectrum. However, there's no official rules for what light levels actually mean (I set light level +0 to 500 lumens, but there's plausible arguments for anywhere from 100 to 10,000).

Last edited by Anthony; 05-02-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
I remember seeing a kludge somewhere that basically took Obscure and slapped a +0% modifier, "Reversed" on it.
This is what I do as well. ...well the one time needed it.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelus View Post
That's not all that terrible, though it's probably a bit overpriced. I'd probably be happier with it being an x1/5 modifier, rather than a +0% one - this makes illuminating a 2 yard radius a 2 point ability which can be doubled in radius for every point put into it. You could also convert it to a cone with some other enhancements, which would probably work out nicely for a 'flashlight' type deal.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
That's not all that terrible, though it's probably a bit overpriced. I'd probably be happier with it being an x1/5 modifier, rather than a +0% one - this makes illuminating a 2 yard radius a 2 point ability which can be doubled in radius for every point put into it. You could also convert it to a cone with some other enhancements, which would probably work out nicely for a 'flashlight' type deal.
I'd chop down the Cone Enhancement to just +10% / Hex of End Width if I was applying it to this; the initial +50% is justified by combat effects like negating a Dropless-Dodge.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote