Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
Enzzo

Default Cursed Thingy, Gnome, and Gentleman's Club

So here's the situation. I am a Male Gnome Warrior equipping the Matching Equipment Set, and I have a Gentleman's Club on the table (turned sideways, since my hands are full at the moment). My "friend" plays Curse! Cursed Thingy on me, pointing to my Matching Equipment Set. However, I point out to him that, according to the FAQ, I get to choose which Item gets cursed, and MunchkinMan has said that
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I'm actually under the impression that Items you are not using can be cursed by Cursed Thingy.
So, I naturally choose the Gentleman's Club, since I don't want my Matching Equipment Set to get cursed. Here's my question, though. Now that I've cursed it, do I have to equip it? Or does it get to sit sideways, useless, for the rest of the game? And now that it's cursed, do I still get +1 from the Gnome ability, since Gentleman's Club starts with a G?
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Cursed Thingy, Gnome, and Gentleman's Club

I'd keep the Item unequpped. The curse doesn't force you to equip it, it just makes it so you can't unequip it if you ever were to equip it.

As for whether the Gnome gets a +1, that's a weird one. I'm tempted to say that the +1 is given to the Item, not the Gnome, so that would mean it would get removed by the curse. I can see the other argument being made to, but that's my opinion. Then again I also have a faint memory of Andrew perhaps saying that an Item cursed with Curse: Cursed Thingy has no name for the purposes of other Items and abilities that work off names, so if my memory serves (unfortunately, I can't find the thread), that's another reason not to count the bonus.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
six's monkey

It's situations like this that cause me to seek comfort in my non-canonical and perhaps wrong concept of the 'belt' where your sideways items hang. It helps me visualize what goes on with incoming curses &c.
Pity you weren't also somehow wearing the magnificent hat.
Also, wishing rings can cleanse that club.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Enzzo

Thanks for the clarification Clipper :) It makes sense that the Item's name would count as a power of the Item if it's giving a bonus (e.g., from being a Ring, or starting with a G or N, or having Hong Kong in it), so that would be wiped out too. I'll go with that :)

And yeah, that game I kept wishing for a Wishing Ring and never got one. Alas :)
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote