Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Using RPM Rules for Standard Magic

I was just wondering if anyone has used the RPM rules for Standard Magic. For those who are not familiar, the RPM rules are a variation of the Energy Accumulation rules from Thaumotology combined with some interesting changes to the nature of Magery. Magery changes in the following fashions:

1. It does not give a bonus to skill level but, instead, caps skill level at (12+Magery) regardless of invididual IQ (nonmages can learn magic, but they are considered Magery 0 and suffer an additional -5 to skill).
2. It provides an Energy Reserve equal to (Magery×3), which may be used to power spells, but spells cannot be powered through FP, only through energy acculturation rolls or Energy Reserve.
3. It allows the existence of conditional spells (spells that activate due to a specific condition) and practitioners may support up to (Thaumotology+Magery) conditional spells.
4. It is not capped at level 3 and may reach very high levels (8+) without any Unusual Backgrounds.

In the case of combining the rules with Standard Magic, I would change time to cast to time to energy accumulation roll and allow practitioners to charge extra energy for maintenance intervals, but I am sure that everyone would have their own interpretation. I personally find the idea of skilled mages preparing conditional spells thematic with Vancian Magic, as a skilled mage could prepare a dozen Explosive Fireballs as full power before battle, but they are pretty much without magic when those are done. What about you?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
Hide

Default Re: Using RPM Rules for Standard Magic

I think it is a good approach to have conditional magic work more efficiently; I can see that working. It also is a good approach to have your players create their own spells (instead of using the standard spells), as if they were scientific mages (both features available in my settings).
Old 10-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

My biggest concern is that RPM spells generally cost a LOT more than Standard magic spells. In standard magic, 6 FP is a lot. in RPM, 6 Energy is the base level for doing something useful.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Lameth

I just went through this myself. I changed by magic in my long lasting fantasy game from standard to rpm. I first did it in story though to establish the change the world was going through over a year or so.

Instead of using the spells as is, it would be easier to alter the spells to rpm using the online Monster Hunter tool. You can create a spell in seconds with it. I converted most of my players spells to rpm in a few days. I only converted their most used spells to make it easier on myself. I now have a spell book of over 200 spells. The raw spells do not fit the way Rpm is set up unless you tweak them as far as range, scale, damage, etc, but its easy.

And I would agree...I love rpm.

In my revamped world, I am using Effect Shaping RPM, with baseline casting, as well as the tweaks from Pyramid 66: Runes, Divine, Alchemy, and Book. Book is being used for the ritualists that practice lengthy magic and only a predefined set of spells from like themes. I will also be using I think some of Sorcery for those that have innate abilities of magic.

Last edited by Lameth; 10-04-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
Shostak

Lameth, what online Monster Hunter tool might that be? Got a link you can share?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
WSeraphim

In my Diablo - flavoured DF campaign i use RMP with some tweaks as main magical system.
Tweaks are:
1) Mana is ER(-70% limited recharge; No Stunts -10%) 3 points for 5 ER, that can only be used as energy source for rituals and do not restore normally. This encourages diablo-style casting of fireballs is combat
2) Ritual Adept is (Ritual Mastery Only -80%). This to ensure that mages will not spam combat encounters with improvised spells
3) Harsh Durations Table: Use Size and Range table for durations (read modifier as Energy, and Range as Seconds) instead of RPM default durations table.
Some Examples:
1 EP = 1 Sec
5 EP = 7 Sec
10 EP = 1 Min
20 EP = 45 min
26 EP = 8 Hr
29 EP = 1 Day
36 EP = 1 Week
38 EP = 1 Month

This makes much harder(but still doable) to achieve epic durations spells, and enforces to spent something more than 1 EP for combat-buffs

To convert various enchanted items i convert Magic spells to RPM spells using
1)https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...49Q/edit#gid=0
2)https://gurps-monsterhunters.appspot...pmPlace:Design

To handle Enchanted Item's charges i simply multiply corresponding Reserve value by 5, just as for PC Mana.
This results into something like:
Icy Touch; $16,000 Reserve 12
Becomes

Spell Effects: Lesser Create Matter.
Inherent Modifiers: Affliction, Melee: C; Paralysis + Duration, 1 minute.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).
This Casting: Lesser Create Matter (6) + Affliction, 120% to Melee: C; Paralysis (24) + Duration, 2 weeks (10). 40 energy (40×1).

So, It requires 40 Mana to use, and Item itself is imbued with 60 ER (12*5) that can be used to fuel it (along with character's mana) and can be refilled later with PC or NPC with Path of Magic
WSeraphim is offline   Reply With Quote