Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #81
Agemegos

Default Re: GURPS - Your Licensed Product Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
A children's book series The Borrowers. Tiny people living in old houses, tiny as in "Lilliput" from Gulliver's Travels.

The setting rural England's country estates, woods, fields, and villages, only you're so small voles are wolves and ravens dragons. It would really be an interesting setting.
See Mistress Masham's Repose, by T.H. White.

For the birds and animals of the English countryside as ~agonists, though there are no little people involved, Wood Magic, by Richard Jefferies.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #82
Prince Charon

I thought about how many books a GURPS Star Wars license could need, if Disney decided to really go for it:

The two core books (Character and Campaigns), which can also be bought as a single book.

Three or more Force books (the main one, a Jedi-focused book with a chapter or two on other Force-users, and a Sith-focused book with a chapter or two on other Force-users).

One Spaceships book.

One Tech book, and probably one Droids book if not combined with the Tech book.

An Aliens book.

A Bestiary book.

A Space Atlas book.

Probably an 'Official Star Wars characters written up in GURPS' book.

A Martial Arts book.

Possibly a few era-specific books or Hot Spots books.

So, twelve or more books, probably spread out over a decade or so if the license lasts long enough, and perhaps sequels to some of them. This is especially the case if the license is for the Legends canon instead of or as well as the Disney canon. Even with just the movies and cartoons that Disney treats as canon, Star Wars has a big universe.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #83
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
See Mistress Masham's Repose, by T.H. White.

For the birds and animals of the English countryside as ~agonists, though there are no little people involved, Wood Magic, by Richard Jefferies.
I love that book too. I just thought Mary Norton's works would be cheaper to license than T.H. White. Also the Borrowers are native to Britain and might be anywhere in the isles. But Misstress Masham's Repose is a lovely book. I'll have to find Wood Magic and read it.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #84
(E)

The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaranovitch, it fits well with the existing magic system, with the addition of a couple of limitations.

David Gemmel's Drenai saga.
Heroic fantasy.

Almighty Johnson's
Playing Gods in a modern setting, with the advantage that if the players act like typical PCs they will be in character.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:25 PM   #85
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I'll have to find Wood Magic and read it.
It's on Gutenberg. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25299

So no license needed.

Mistress Masham's Repose basis is Lilliput in exile so that idea could be done without a license also.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #86
shawnhcorey

Anne Bishop's works: The Black Jewel Series, Ephemera Series, Tir Alainn Series.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #87
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I thought about how many books a GURPS Star Wars license could need, if Disney decided to really go for it:

The two core books (Character and Campaigns), which can also be bought as a single book.
I could see this and it makes sense.

Quote:
Three or more Force books (the main one, a Jedi-focused book with a chapter or two on other Force-users, and a Sith-focused book with a chapter or two on other Force-users).
I seriously doubt that GURPS would need three books on The Force. It would only need one as all of the powers would be interchangeable. There would be individual chapters discussing the various philosophies, but each wouldn't require their own book.

Quote:
One Spaceships book.

One Tech book, and probably one Droids book if not combined with the Tech book.
One book. Spaceships and Tech would be in one book. Droids, as they would be character templates, would be included in either the Characters book or an Aliens book. They could be incorporated in the Tech book (much like Ultra-Tech), but they could easily be incorporated in the Characters book and just move on.

Quote:
An Aliens book.
Potentially, but only if the game was really popular.

Quote:
A Bestiary book.

A Space Atlas book.
If necessary, these would be one book. Each world would have relevant monsters listed. More generic monsters would be in the Campaigns book.

Quote:
Probably an 'Official Star Wars characters written up in GURPS' book.
No. These would be included in the Characters or Campaigns book.

Quote:
A Martial Arts book.
I can't see how there would be any need for a book like this. Martial Arts just aren't that relevant in a Star Wars setting. Any relevant martial art styles would be listed either in the racial listings in the Characters or Aliens book, and relevant Force Styles in the "The Force" book.

Quote:
Possibly a few era-specific books or Hot Spots books.
Again, only if the line was really popular.

Quote:
So, twelve or more books, probably spread out over a decade or so if the license lasts long enough, and perhaps sequels to some of them. This is especially the case if the license is for the Legends canon instead of or as well as the Disney canon. Even with just the movies and cartoons that Disney treats as canon, Star Wars has a big universe.
Really, only four books. Upper limit, six. The general capabilities of GURPS renders a lot of duplicate books useless.

If the line proved very successful, then they would look at putting out more books. But, really, just one book, with short listings for races and droids, a general gear list, generic starships and mods, and a section on The Force and how to both build abilities and how to adjudicate its use would work quite well.

After all, the history and lore is all over the internet, and wouldn't require much work to find.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:03 AM   #88
Phantasm

For Star Wars martial arts, you have 7 to 10 lightsaber styles (depending on how you mix things like Jar'Kai and Vapaad, as well as that mounted speeder bike style we saw in the Clone Wars shorts before the release of RotS), Teras Kasi (which is pretty much Shaolin Kung Fu, from what I can tell), and some form of Mandalorian warrior art. That doesn't warrant a full book; at most, it's a chapter in the characters book.

Basic Droids - Humanoid, Small Humanoid, Giant Humanoid, Astromech, and Usoform - along with mental templates for the five classes would also be in characters book. Individual models of droids (2-1B medical droids, R2 astromechs, 3PO protocol droids, B1 battle droids, etc.) could be its own small supplement, with a page per droid model.

As for aliens, I once counted 127 movie alien species for the Original and Prequel trilogies combined (140-ish including the Holiday Special, some of which - Cathar and Dashade come to mind - were greatly expanded in the EU; I have yet to count out species introduced in The Clone Wars, Rebels, the Sequel Trilogy, Rogue One, and Solo). In the old EU, I once counted over 2000 alien species, although many of those are rubber forehead aliens with otherwise human stats. I'd put about 20 of the more common alien species in the characters book, while keeping the big book of aliens separate. (I wouldn't shoot for the full 2000+ species in the latter; more like a collection of ~200.)

For the spaceships, that'd be a chapter in the campaigns book, IMO. (Two if you split the starfighters and capships into separate chapters, which I wouldn't.) At the least, you'd have stat blocks for the TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, X-Wing, Y-Wing, ARC-170, Imperial Star Destroyer, Venator Star Destroyer, Corellian Corvette/Alderaanian Blockade Runner, YT-1300 tramp freighter (Millennium Falcon), and whatever the Twilight and Ghost were. A later book would go into more starship details, with various movie, television, and video game starship model stat blocks.

There are a few unique pieces of tech in SW not found in Ultra-Tech, but most of that I'd put in the characters book. Mostly, the tech listing would be "here's a list of things in Ultra-Tech that are common in the setting" and maybe expand the blaster selection. Maybe.

You may also want books on various eras, but those are down-the-line supplemental books, not primary books. Of particular note are the Old Republic era (detailed primarily in novels, comics, and games), the Clone Wars era (prequel trilogy and Clone Wars), the Galactic Civil War era (original trilogy and Rebels), whatever era they're calling the Sequel Trilogy, and (in Legends) the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion. Each of these books should be short, giving an overview of the lore, stats for equipment found only during those periods (like the KOTOR/SWTOR stealth field generator and holographic disguise generator, or the Vong extreme biotech), and character sheets for various example characters of the era.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-15-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #89
shawnhcorey

Has anyone mentioned Avatar, The Last Airbender yet?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #90
Kesendeja

I'd really like to see The Dragon Prince.