Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #71
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: GURPS - Your Licensed Product Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
...I can see that being a congruent response actually. Given that it's essentially a Confederate Western, recycled in space, it's not unreasonable for a man not to put up with being slapped and called an idiot. I could see even see Mal cutting up rough if it came from some of the characters.
This was explicitly shown in several of the shows, which my wife and I are in the middle of re-watching. Mal is ready to draw down on Jayne at least once, if not twice, due to insubordination. He also barks at Inara "don't tell me what to do on my ship," and also "we don't vote on my ship" in the pilot episode when discussing what to do with the Marshal Dodson.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #72
Astromancer

A children's book series The Borrowers. Tiny people living in old houses, tiny as in "Lilliput" from Gulliver's Travels.

The setting rural England's country estates, woods, fields, and villages, only you're so small voles are wolves and ravens dragons. It would really be an interesting setting.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #73
Anders

Or wombles. Another English classic.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #74
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
GURPS: Game of Thrones
(Okay, this seems unlikely. Still, it seems a natural, given that Martin is known to be a GURPS player, and the fact that the HBO series is over may make it available at a bargain discount. Adapt the books, and not the TV series.)
There is already a song of ice & fire rpg, which allegedly has quite a lot of mechanical problems. OTH, adapting this on your own is easy.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #75
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
A children's book series The Borrowers. Tiny people living in old houses, tiny as in "Lilliput" from Gulliver's Travels.

The setting rural England's country estates, woods, fields, and villages, only you're so small voles are wolves and ravens dragons. It would really be an interesting setting.
I couldn't put a like in earlier, now I can. So look here for the series.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #76
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
There is already a song of ice & fire rpg, which allegedly has quite a lot of mechanical problems. OTH, adapting this on your own is easy.
I actually thought of another possibility.

GURPS: Big Trouble
...and not just in Little China!
Magic and mythical creatures penetrate into the mortal world in secret enclaves where mystical realms overlap with the world of man!

Those who control those irruptions control great power -- and have to deal with the great chaos of magical loci that draw in odd, random trespassers.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #77
Randyman

Quote:
GURPS: Game of Thrones
(Okay, this seems unlikely. Still, it seems a natural, given that Martin is known to be a GURPS player, and the fact that the HBO series is over may make it available at a bargain discount. Adapt the books, and not the TV series.)
Quote:
Then again, adapting the books leaves the story incomplete, so everyone who hated how HBO ended the series can play through their own ending as many times, and in as many variations, as they desire.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #78
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I actually thought of another possibility.

GURPS: Big Trouble
...and not just in Little China!
Magic and mythical creatures penetrate into the mortal world in secret enclaves where mystical realms overlap with the world of man!

Those who control those irruptions control great power -- and have to deal with the great chaos of magical loci that draw in odd, random trespassers.
Wouldn't this just be a low-key* Monster Hunters game?

* Maybe even slightly lower powered. Or just straight up Action, Jack is clearly a Wheel Man and Wang is the Fast Guy from Furious Fists.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #79
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Wouldn't this just be a low-key* Monster Hunters game?

* Maybe even slightly lower powered. Or just straight up Action, Jack is clearly a Wheel Man and Wang is the Fast Guy from Furious Fists.
Oh, one could certainly run it that way. But it could also run as G:Cabal-light (try to take control of the hot-spot); or a variation on any version of the story where the PCs are the creatures.

They keep having to deal with the high schoolers at the senior ditch-day kegger while staying hidden; or the Fae creatures who run businesses in Little Eire, but keep having to deal with the local chamber of commerce that wants to redevelop the area (and the mob, which really likes all the underground passages...); or the Wee Folk in the old building that someone wants to demolish (or remodel, or just move into...).

The point is, you could do lots of things with such a setting, if you come at it from a skewed point of view that includes an element of humor.

Would you need a license for Big Trouble in Little China? No, but it's a cult classic that captures the tone of the setting, perfectly: fun, wainscot-magic action with fisticuffs and gun-fights.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #80
(E)

Quote:
I ran a couple GURPS Game of thrones campaigns over about 4 years. I ran them 1 and 2 centuries before the start of the main series of books mainly to avoid continuity snarls with an unfinished project but also because the hinted at history of the world was quite interesting.

I also ran the second campaign poly-POV to match the books. Which actually worked fairly well.

GURPS works well with multiple power levels and one on one melee combat.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote