Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
andreww

Default TFT Helper 1.1 Relased!

TFT Helper 1.1 (aka 1.11) is now in both stores, near as I can tell. I apologize for the delay. All your old character data will carry over, but *Not* combat progress, see below.

New Features:

Character Notes is replaced by Equipment and Special Notes fields, per the standard character format.

Import/Export is improved and now uses the standard format. This means it's compatible with Henry Cobb's page and other fine TFT software.

XP points are tracked and character evaluated appropriately.

Many, many, but not all, combat bugs fixed. I'm starting a list for 1.2...

Pinch and Spread gestures will make some features handier on smaller screens.

You can switch between phone and tablet modes by touching the upper right corner of the main menu screen. This is handy if the app chooses the wrong mode for your device for some reason.

More reference tables, including combat options and extreme results for 4d6 and 5d6 rolls.

More dice materials and colors.

I feel like I'm forgetting something.

I will go over my lists and emails and start assembling a list of bugs still outstanding and post it below. So if you've already told me about something wait until you see that before taking the time to remind me. 1.2 Will have user-designed adventures and more bug fixes. More on that soon.

Important Note: improvements to the combat system required changes to how combats in progress are stored on your device. Finish any combats you care about before upgrading. After upgrading when you see the Continue/Clear dialog box you should Clear if you would be continuing a combat from 1.0.1. If you do continue a combat from the previous version you will get a blank or nonsensical screen and you won't be able to do anything but go back to the main menu. That character won't be able to do combat until you restart the app. Once you restart the app everything will be fine, but obviously avoid this if you can.

[PS, "XP points" is a deliberate joke.]
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: TFT Helper 1.1 Relased!

On Android phone can't seem to scroll spell lists so can't find Staff.

Also the export format should be more compact than:

Sirocco
Goblin TFT Hero
ST: 6
DX: 15 (11)
IQ: 11

MA: 6

Dagger
Small Shield

Fine Plate (stops 6 hits, 7 with shield, -4 DX)

Talents
Shield
Knife
Shield Expertise
Weapon Expertise
Physicker
Literacy
Climbing
Old 03-29-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
andreww

Here's what I know about so far:

TFT Helper bug fixes for 1.2

Not a bug: You cannot use a main-gauche in both hands, but you can use a dagger and main-gauche. Nothing in the rules says you can’t use a mg in both hands, but nothing says you can get the special benefits of the mg twice, either. I will switch this if Steve makes a contrary ruling.

Not a bug: Spears in TFT Helper are assumed to be used two-handed, so if your other weapon is a shield it will be on your back.

Not going to be implemented: Weapons used with less than required strength. This was supposed to be an introductory combat system. It kind of got away from me because it was too fun adding stuff. So enjoy that, but don’t assume everything in TFT:ITL will be implemented.

Javelins still give jab option. I think all other pole weapon/charge attack details are correct. Remember that someone must move three hexes in order to get the extra die of damage.

Die roll results for large dice not always in their box.

Bola damage is utterly broken.

You can recover one dropped weapon after combat in the sewers, but not two. This may be related to whether or not you moved after throwing. In any case, this needs fixing for characters with sha-ken, double bolas, double javelins.

If there's anything else post it here or better yet email it to tfthelper@gmail.com. If it's a layout problem please, oh please, mention the device you are on and the OS version. If it's a combat bug I don't need that info, but be complete in the description because most things work straight up, they only fail under particular conditions.

Thank you for all the bug reports, they are valued!
Old 03-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
andreww

There are no line breaks in the attribute line or the list of talents. Those strings are assembled and added to the output with only explicit line breaks in the appropriate places. So the line breaks you are seeing must have been added after the character left the app.

Here's what I get if I air-drop a character to my desktop:

Yvvan
Human, age
ST 15, DX 9, IQ 8, MA 10
Talents: Sword, Crossbow
Spells:
Weapons: Heavy Crossbow (3d), Broadsword (2d)
Attacks and Damage: Punch 1d
Armor:
Equipment:
Special Note:

I don't think this can be related to your Android OS version. The character export can travel many paths. Try a few and see if you can narrow down which paths get these inappropriate line breaks and which don't. I have taken exports and put them straight into your CP Calculator with no problems.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
hcobb

Please delete Fine Plate. Starting characters can afford very fine daggers, but not Fine Plate.

And the format was when I exported to Gmail.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
Skarg

Delete Fine Plate?

How about just a warning like the one for >32-point characters?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
hcobb

Just add these in automagically like I do please. (Just as you do for Staff V)

"A character must have Missile Weapons 2 in order to take Missile Weapons 3"

Also save Fine Plate for when you support Fine weapons.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
andreww

Missile Weapons: Good idea, I put that on the list for 1.2. I am annoyed to see that I handled the same thing two different ways. I think the solution I used for Staff is best, so I'll switch Unarmed Combat to that, also.

I put Fine Plate on the menu because I was just flat copying the book. We're aiming for an intro to the system here, so that's going to be my justification for the inconsistency.