Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2021, 04:59 AM   #21
sgtcallistan

Default Re: Good background music for Gurps? (varying genres)

I find back ground music must be a quiet as possible, low volume, carefully chosen, tracks must be long and many are needed to avoid jarring repetition as well.
Ideally a set of tracks for moods that can be accessed instantly and correctly.

Have made about seven collections just for one fantasy game, SF was much harder to do except for a Blade Runner street ambience track, modern was a bit easier.

We find any music that distracts or is too loud to not be easily spoken over is highly destructive to the game and players.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:09 AM   #22
Rising

I rarely use background music, even though I used to back in the late 90s when we had a cyberpunk campaign.

But in my current campaign (Victorian Era Steampunk Monster Hunter) I use the theme from Breakheart Pass for when they travel by train and I used Vivaldis La Folia when one character was in a fight with an insane soul-stealing fae clown (long story ...)

I am not sure it worked as well as intended but I do still love the theme from Breakheart Pass :)
Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #23
cvannrederode

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
My go to for Fantasy is, of course, the excellent Conan the Barbarian score by Basil Polidorous.
Beat me to it!

Good to know I'm not the only one to have though of it.
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #24
Boge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
Beat me to it!

Good to know I'm not the only one to have though of it.
Back in the day, this was our go to fantasy music (Prince of Thieves, 3 Musketeers, and Willow are other greats back then). But all we did was put in the cassette tape and press play. Nowadays I like to go through all the tracks, sometimes cutting pieces out of them, and placing them in specific mood folders I play when I feel the situation is appropriate. I have a lot of music, but the more the merrier. I want it to be more ambient and unique for each situation. We don't want to hear the same theme everytime a sad moment is happening. So yeah, the more the merrier.

I am finding that a lot of music can intertwine with different genres though. However, I do want each genre to feel unique. So I can't use everything for everything even though it might work.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote