Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #2191
SolemnGolem

Default Re: New Sci Fi Setting Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Basically, take Transhuman Space technology, add in something like a reasonable political scene for 2060, then toss in both an FTL drive and a major prize that could make those who get it powers for the next few centuries. Conflict is guaranteed.
Absent the FTL drive, this sounds like it could have a decent degree of crosspollination with the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri setting. As a fan of the video game and owner of the GURPS hardcover I can attest it's a wonderful sourcebook.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #2192
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Absent the FTL drive, this sounds like it could have a decent degree of crosspollination with the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri setting. As a fan of the video game and owner of the GURPS hardcover I can attest it's a wonderful sourcebook.
I'm a fan of the sourcebook myself.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #2193
YankeeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Alpha Centauri HAS an FTL drive as part of the cannon physics, but humanity didn't discover it. The two alien factions were founded by small warships from rival factions.
I always thought that discovering that would have been a good, although different, tech victory.
YankeeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:34 AM   #2194
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
Alpha Centauri HAS an FTL drive as part of the cannon physics, but humanity didn't discover it. The two alien factions were founded by small warships from rival factions.
I always thought that discovering that would have been a good, although different, tech victory.
I had an idea for an Alpha Centauri sequel campaign where the surviving factions escaped via ships and psi gates before being absorbed by Planetmind.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #2195
Astromancer

Just as a general thing, any colony world can evolve into something like Alpha Centauri. For those without the book, here's a useful wiki. There are lots of other Wikis and he's planing a remake, so there will be more.

Frankly, I'd just create five or more factions that just don't get each other. A Democracy that isn't perfect and is sick to death of being screamed at as decadent, a theocracy that can't understand why all the others won't get right with God first, an Oligarchy that can't understand why the others don't understand real-world politics, a utopian movement that can't understand why the others reject truth and justice, and something else blending the categories that can't see why the others don't follow the "ONE TRUE WAY"(Patent Pending).

Don't let any faction have an isolated area where they can build their future in peace, except maybe the Democracy. The Democracy will need to see to the needs of its people far more than the others or they'll cease to be a democracy.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #2196
Astromancer

Try this one...

The Long Voyage

The Liner was crossing the Atlantic in 1939. Reports of the European situation were growing darker rapidly' rumors flew around the ship that the Nazis planned to hunt down allied shipping with Wolf Packs of submarines, unlimited submarine warfare, and this liner might be the last ship allowed to cross the Atlantic without direct government orders.

With all of that the freak storm the ship was caught in was decidedly unnecessary. The strange purple light in the sky showed up just as the seas turned mountainous, threatening to break-up the ship, and somehow lifted the ship out of the sea. After that, the ship seemed to travel through a rainbow. Some hours later the ship was placed in the sea near a tropical island. The night before we were on the latitude of Ireland.

Strange voices came out of the ship's loudspeakers. Earth folk, we decided your craft was doomed. We wanted Earth humans for this world we seeded with Earth life forms 12,000 years ago during your Pleistocene Epoch. We have placed farming tools and livestock on the nearby island. You are 1,500 of your Light Years from your Earth. You will never return home. Settle here in Peace.

Basically, a crowded Ocean Liner headed for New York has been snatched by aliens, and the people on it left to settle a wild dangerous prehistoric world.

PCs can be any standard adventure type that might be on an Atlantic Ocean liner in 1939 heading for New York. Past allegiances mean nothing now, survival is the adventure.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 03-22-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #2197
adm

Point of order, in 1939, Wolf Packs were not a public idea, even the Germans were not planning on their use, they were more a theoretical idea.

Cool idea though.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #2198
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Point of order, in 1939, Wolf Packs were not a public idea, even the Germans were not planning on their use, they were more a theoretical idea.

Cool idea though.
Thank you. I was pleased with the "Take the cast of a WWII melodrama/Pulp adventure story and dump them in a Golden Age Sci-Fi setting notion. I'm glad others liked it too.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #2199
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this one...

The Liner was crossing the Atlantic in 1939. Reports of the European situation were growing darker rapidly' rumors flew around the ship that the Nazis planned to hunt down allied shipping with Wolf Packs of submarines, unlimited submarine warfare, and this liner might be the last ship allowed to cross the Atlantic without direct government orders.

With all of that the freak storm the ship was caught in was decidedly unnecessary. The strange purple light in the sky showed up just as the seas turned mountainous, threatening to break-up the ship, and somehow lifted the ship out of the sea. After that, the ship seems to travel through a rainbow. Some hours later the ship was placed in the sea near a tropical island. The night before we were on the latitude of Ireland.

Strange voices came out of the ship's loudspeakers. Earth folk, we decided your craft was doomed. We wanted Earth humans for this world we seeded with Earth life forms 12,000 years ago during your Pleistocene Epoch. We have placed farming tools and livestock on the nearby island. You are 1,500 of your Light Years from your Earth. You will never return home. Settle here in Peace.

Basically, a crowded Ocean Liner headed for New York has been snatched by aliens, and the people on it left to settle a wild dangerous prehistoric world.

PCs can be any standard adventure type that might be on an Atlantic Ocean liner in 1939 heading for New York. Past allegiances mean nothing now, survival is the adventure.
Love this! I want to run something like this. I think I would have the characters be the Captain and some of the crew to start with.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:08 AM   #2200
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
Love this! I want to run something like this. I think I would have the characters be the Captain and some of the crew to start with.
With some digging you can get passenger lists for ships. So you can get a real mix of who would be on it. Coming from Europe you'll have steerage class immigrants which means you have the farmers and such you'll need.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote