Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #21
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Supers] Nerfed Marvel Universe

Question regarding my Wasp build. As you may have seen, her Flight advantage is significantly over the -80% disadvantage limit. This isn't a huge deal (in a situation like this, accuracy is better than pure efficiency or effectiveness), but I do generally dislike "wasted" limitations, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I saw the suggestion of adding Reliable, which could work, but I'm not sure it would 100% make sense, so opinions on that would also be appreciated.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #22
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Question regarding my Wasp build. As you may have seen, her Flight advantage is significantly over the -80% disadvantage limit. This isn't a huge deal (in a situation like this, accuracy is better than pure efficiency or effectiveness), but I do generally dislike "wasted" limitations, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I saw the suggestion of adding Reliable, which could work, but I'm not sure it would 100% make sense, so opinions on that would also be appreciated.
Honestly I'd question all of the limitations. They seem to overlap a bit:

Only when shrunk to SM-10, which is ok... but she's also taking full value for a "vulnerable" SM-1 machine. Since you're claiming the former, I'd price breakable at the SM-10 value.

Winged -25%. Again, the drawback here is usually the wings take extra space and can be targeted. It's effectively the same limitation as "Breakable" which allows things to be targeted and broken.

On another note, you should also spell out the drawbacks of Superscience. It sounds like there will be countermeasures or extra vulnerability to attacks.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #23
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Honestly I'd question all of the limitations. They seem to overlap a bit:

Only when shrunk to SM-10, which is ok... but she's also taking full value for a "vulnerable" SM-1 machine. Since you're claiming the former, I'd price breakable at the SM-10 value.
I went back and forth on this. But the deciding factor for me was that the wings still exist at any size. There's nothing stopping an enemy from attacking them when she's at full size. So I think it's fair.

Quote:
Winged -25%. Again, the drawback here is usually the wings take extra space and can be targeted. It's effectively the same limitation as "Breakable" which allows things to be targeted and broken.
This is explicitly RAW. Check out Artificial Wings, SU83.

Quote:
On another note, you should also spell out the drawbacks of Superscience. It sounds like there will be countermeasures or extra vulnerability to attacks.
Also defined in Supers. It's the same power modifier as Super, but for gear instead of inherent abilities.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #24
Varyon

Quote:
While not RAW, something I've suggested in the past is to allow the "wasted" points to be spent on a separate Advantage that serves to improve the primary one; said Advantage only functions when the primary is usable and gets no discount for this (basically, an Advantage that functions like an Enhancement). For Flight, I'd typically recommend Enhanced Move (Flight), but that's clearly incompatible with your vision of the Wasp. Perhaps a bonus to the Flight and Aerobatics skills would be acceptable? Using racial skill bonuses, the "wasted" [14] from being -35% beyond the limit could purchase +3 to each, with [2] leftover (optionally for a further +1 to one of the skills).
Old 07-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #25
naloth

Quote:
I went back and forth on this. But the deciding factor for me was that the wings still exist at any size. There's nothing stopping an enemy from attacking them when she's at full size. So I think it's fair.
Seems fair if the device stays at SM-1 while she's in combat. Otherwise, I'd assess the value at the modifier it's usually going to be during combat (where the modifier will be used).

Edit: It's the same principle as sticking a DR1 device behind armor or behind a force field it generates for itself. The limitations should assess the value of the device while in use when it will be attacked.

Quote:
This is explicitly RAW. Check out Artificial Wings, SU83.
That's a bit of a different situation. Wings usually take twice your height to launch (10+ feet for a normal person) and are targeted at -2. In the context of a super small character that is already claiming limitations for a full sized device SM-1, I just don't see Wings being worth a full -25%. (To be clear, I'd either use a SM-1 device <or> Wings at full value with a SM-10 device but not both.)

Quote:
Also defined in Supers. It's the same power modifier as Super, but for gear instead of inherent abilities.
Just clarifying. Offhand, I don't recall her tech or abilities being negated often.

Last edited by naloth; 07-22-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #26
Phantasm

Might I suggest using Electronic or Mechanical rather than Superscience on the wings themselves? (Superscience on the Shrinking works.) I recall reading somewhere that some researchers have built similar electromechanical wings after studying dragonflies, bees, and similar insects, but the current market for such things is limited.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #27
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Might I suggest using Electronic or Mechanical rather than Superscience on the wings themselves? (Superscience on the Shrinking works.) I recall reading somewhere that some researchers have built similar electromechanical wings after studying dragonflies, bees, and similar insects, but the current market for such things is limited.
You're only compounding the issue, but that's actually a fair point.

I'll take all of the given suggestions into account when deciding on a modified version, but currently I'm focused on getting Thor into a postable state. He's one of the more enjoyable builds I've had, especially lore-wise, and I'm looking forward to being able to share him.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #28
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Maintenance is another appropriate alternative. If she's trapped somewhere without access to parts, tools, and more Pym particles her equipment might progressively stop working.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:44 AM   #29
Donny Brook

This take on the Wasp seems to be missing some representation of the contrarian/independence/snarkiness that she should have, whether by quirk or disad.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #30
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
This take on the Wasp seems to be missing some representation of the contrarian/independence/snarkiness that she should have, whether by quirk or disad.
Thank you. I'm working off very limited information when it comes to her personality (more so than any of the Avengers), so that kind of advice is very welcome. I'll keep it in mind when I do my tweaks.

Tags
custom setting, marvel, supers