Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
Icelander

Default [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

In my Caribbean by Night campaign, set in a modern world with emerging secret magic, conceptualized by some occultists in terms of 'Vile Vortices' where Mana is higher, powerful paranormal phenomena correlates with interference with technological devices.

Cutting-edge electronics from late TL8 tend to malfunction at the first hint of the supernatural and the less electronics a machine uses, the more reliable it will be around the supernatural. Early TL8 vehicles usually have electronic injectors and sometime computer chips, but these are not as fundamental to their function as they are in the latest designs.

Rugged and simple TL7 vehicles are often the best solution for those who want to go into Places of Power inside Vile Vortices, when Mana is flaring up and causing dangerous supernatural threats. As the campaign is set at the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019, it can be difficult to keep vehicles that old in working order. Especially helicopters, of course.

I'm trying to make some decisions for the helicopters available to come to pluck 'Night Riders' (Monster Hunters) from dangerous areas.

What are some TL7 or early TL8 helicopters that are still flying in 2018 and have parts available?

And which would be useful as SAR/CSAR/TRAP/Medevac/Casevac aircraft?

I know it's hard to get some former Soviet aircraft licensed in the US, but I get the feeling that for a few years after 1991, wealthy and well-connected people could obtain all sorts of Soviet war materiel extremely cheaply.

And almost everything made before 1990 in the Soviet Union could fly even if the electronics went to hell because of powerful magical fields.

What common helicopters could do the same that could be used for SAR in United States or Caribbean islands?

Tags
aircraft, helicopter, monster hunters, vile vortices