Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
Hyrneson

Default Language defaults

If I have a character that speaks (for example) French at Accented levels, is it possible, using the Full Edit Window 'Gives', to give Latin at Broken?
How would that be worded in the edit field?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Language defaults

The simple method:

=+1 to "AD:Latin"

The slightly more complex method:

=+@indexedvalue(me::level,0,1,1) to "AD:Latin"
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #3
Hyrneson

Eric, thanks. The first I sorta sussed out but thought was too easy. I was wrong and was right.
The second is what I am likely looking for, even though I don't understand it. :)

Before I apply the code, will the Advantage 'Language Talent' modify the adjusted languages (Latin in the case of our example)?
BTW, yes, I am using the article, 'Speaking in Tongues' by Jason 'PK' Levine as my default system.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
ashareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
Eric, thanks. The first I sorta sussed out but thought was too easy. I was wrong and was right.
The second is what I am likely looking for, even though I don't understand it. :)

Before I apply the code, will the Advantage 'Language Talent' modify the adjusted languages (Latin in the case of our example)?
BTW, yes, I am using the article, 'Speaking in Tongues' by Jason 'PK' Levine as my default system.
Advance apologies for resurrecting a zombie thread, but did you ever complete your .gdf for this article, and is it available anywhere for others to use?
ashareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:43 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
=+@indexedvalue(me::level,0,1,1) to "AD:Latin"
Just what I needed for a campaign where many characters will speak both Hindi and Urdu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson View Post
Yes, it does.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #6
Hyrneson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashareem View Post
Advance apologies for resurrecting a zombie thread, but did you ever complete your .gdf for this article, and is it available anywhere for others to use?
I didn't write a GDF but edited the existing files, adding in the modifiers as noted.
This has greatly helped game play and made for a more realistic environment. It has also produced a few humorous results too when translations go astray. :)