Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Gavynn

Default Re: Lord of the Rings Dwarf Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstrych9
I'm certainly no expert on Middle Earth, but that template looks very good to me. Kudos!

My only complaint would be that you've used all 5 quirks. Now all of your dwarves will have the same quirks, which are usually extremely useful for individualising characters.
Yeah, I have a problem with using all of the quirks too. That is something still to be worked out. I am sure there is a better way to work it. I have had fun designing these. I am going to try and post a draft of orc and orc-kind fairly soon and then put out a draft pdf from that. Grad school will start again soon now, but I'd like to have at least a "teaser" draft product by then.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavynn
Yeah, I have a problem with using all of the quirks too.
"Racial quirks do not count against the normal limit of five quirks." Basic p.452.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
Gavynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead
"Racial quirks do not count against the normal limit of five quirks." Basic p.452.
But it is still may be a lot for the player to keep up with...
Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
Gavynn

Okay, so here is verion two of the Dwarf template. I am much happier with it than the first one.

Dwarf
It costs 64 points to play a dwarf

Attribute Modifiers
-1 Dexterity [-20]
+1 Health [10]
+1 Strength [10]

Languages
Khuzdul (Native/Fully Literate) [0]
Westron (Native/Fully Literate) [6]

Secondary Characteristics
Fatigue +3 [9] (B.16)
Will +2 [10] (B.16)
Reduced Move -1 [-5] (B.17)
Size Modifier -1 (B.19)

Racial Advantages
Hard to Kill Level 1 [2] (B.58)
Resistant to Disease (occasional) [10] (B.81)
Longevity [2] (B.66)
Extended Lifespan Level One [2] (B.53)
Night Vision Level Four [4] (B.71)
Racial Talent (Craftmanship +2) [10]
Indomitable [15] (B.60)
Mind Shield +5 [20] (B.70)

Racial Disadvantages
Code of Honor [-10] (B.127)
Racial Incompetence (Animal Aversion -2) [-10]

Traits
+2 to all checks to start fires [1]
Alcohol Tolerance [1] (B.100)

Quirks
Never shave or cut beards [-1]
Suspicion of magic [-1]
Distrust of Elves [-1]

Features
Body decays at half the normal rate [0]

Suggested Qualities
Dwarves are often obsessed with mastery of their craft or with accumulating wealth. They may also be greedy or miserly, but these are not necessarily racial traits. It also would not be uncommon for great dwarf craftsmen to be single-minded about his or her work.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #15
Phantasm

I remember there are passages in The Hobbit, likely the lyrics to the song sung in the first chapter, indicating that some dwarves who once dwelled in the Lonely Mountain did know magic, suggesting that it was mostly used to create magical items. I'd think that some dwarves may have some Magery, aspected to Enchantment and/or Making & Breaking.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #16
Gavynn

I think that dwarven magic would revolve largely around enchantments - weapons, armour, doors, or toys in the most prosperous times. But I have a hard time seeing Dwarf Magicians in ME.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #17
Rhino

I have just started reading the Silmarillion again. In chapter 2 it states "Therefore they are stone-hard, stubborn, fast in friendship and enmity, and they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than all the other speaking peoples; and they live long, far beyond the span of Men."

Perhaps 1pt of tough skin DR?

Maybe very rapid healing?

Maybe additional levels of hard to kill?

Maybe additional levels of HT?
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #18
Gavynn

Quote:
In chapter 2 it states "Therefore they are stone-hard, stubborn, fast in friendship and enmity, and they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than all the other speaking peoples; and they live long, far beyond the span of Men."
Great find. Thanks. Hmmm. Stubbornness could be given to the dwarves as a racial disadvantage. The hunger thing interests me. I think that calls for the reverse of Increased Consumption. Is there not a "Decreased Consumption" somewhere that the dwarves can take a level in. Men and elves don't have that.

Suffering toil and hurt of body better? I don't see that as being an arguement for any kind of regeneration. Maybe a racial high pain threshold though. That would help you suffer hurt of body handily. Increased FP might work with that on the toil part.

The "stone hard" is a bit more ambiguous. "Thick Skin" can be DR 1. I guess it depends on how thick you think dwarf skin really is.

Any thoughts from anyone else?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #19
Zorian

"suffer toil and hunger" This could just be seen as showing them having significantly higher HT scores say 12 - 14 instead of other advantages.

"stone-hard, hurt of body" The higher str score gives more HP which represents this to a degree. Though a DR of 1 couldn't hurt. Also High pain threshold could be argued as well.

Stubborn as a racial flaw seems good ,though maybe at a self control of -15.

On magic, from what I remember they weren't mistrustful of magic per say but non-dwarven stuff ,especially what they didn't understand. The dwarven magic shown was that of the Craftsman ,not of the Mage. Just because you don't wiggle your hands and say Words Of Power ,that doesn't mean it's not Magic.

I would add cosmic on the Indomitable , the Rings esp. The One have it on thier powers ,at least certain of them and the books make it very clear that all the Seven do to Dwarves was make them more greedy. They don't even increase thier lifespan.
Zorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:06 AM   #20
Mercator

Very nice writeups, Gavynn! I had some objections to the first version, but they were corrected in the second one.

I also think High Pain Treshold shoud be in there. I'd also add a level of Temperature Tolerance. It fits them nicely (it's a great advantage for metalworkers), and I recall that the Silmarillion mentions that the Dwarves were the only ones to stand up to Glaurung's fire in the Battle of Unumbered Tears, which would indicate that they were able to tolerate high temperatures in heavy armor.

I'd add the Quirk "Secretive" too, but they are too many of them already in the reacial template. Maybe a suggestion that it is a frequent personality trait among Dwarves?

EDIT: Dwarves should be Indomitable, but not with Cosmic. I'd reserve Cosmic for really powerful beings like the Maiar, who really have nothing to be afraid of. Tom Bombadil would be a good example. Gimli was quite afrad of the Balrog in Moria, for example; he was not immune to greed either.

Cheers,

M.

Last edited by Mercator; 02-08-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Mercator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lotr, racial template