Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Pursuivant

Default Modifier for Effects Weakened by Range?

Is there a RAW modifier which makes the effects of a non-area effect/non-attack advantage or disadvantage fall off with distance?

Obviously, Explosion for attacks and Dissipation for Area Effect/Cone attacks, and Reduced Range for advantages with built in range modifiers.

For disads, I'm thinking of a modifier for traits like Dependency, Revulsion, or Weakness where you suffer reduced effects if you're farther from the source of your problem or closer to whatever you're dependent on.

For advantages, benefits might fall off based on distance from some object or location. For example, the further a robot travels from its base the less accurate its Absolute Direction becomes.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Modifier for Effects Weakened by Range?

I haven't been able to find one, though I may have just missed it. I was looking because I wanted something to apply to various Psychokinetic abilitiesl, for a character that has a very high PK ST at touch range, dropping off rapidly beyond it. The only think that I could come up with is to give each level or set of levels a different range, and that's kind of annoying, especially if we're talking about super-hero levels of power, so you have something like fifty levels of each of several powers (and it's still tedious if it's only one power, like Telekinetic Control, which can be used for damage, but isn't only used for damage).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

This is more for Prince Charon, but the ideas in this thread might help you both out—How to make Telekinesis take targeting penalties (range, SM, etc.)?

I'll put some thought into the original question too. I feel like there's some kind of guidelines out there in some power- or magic-focused book that talks about this. If I'm remembering correctly, there's a way to have both the source and the target count toward the range—e.g., if I'm 100 yards from the source and 100 yards from my target, the range is 200 yards. That sounds really familiar, so I'll take a look around, but it might put you on the right track too. With a guess, I'd call that some variation of the Nuisance Effect limitation. Maybe worth -10%?

Though, that idea doesn't work to well for what you're describing with Absolute Direction. I do think a variation of Environmental would work well—it feels to me like the limitation version of Dependency for a power to work properly. If Weakened Without Preparation is half of Preparation Required, then you could use Weakened Without Environment in the same way, I'd say. It sounds like mana levels—low mana, normal mana, high mana, etc. Take that with the idea of Continuous Mana from Thaumatology and scale it from -1 to -10 depending on how far you are from the power source instead of its direct presence in the immediate area. (I guess you could just skip the Weakened Without Environment part if you go that route.) Of course, I don't have any strong guidelines on how forgiving that range should be.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Is there a RAW modifier which makes the effects of a non-area effect/non-attack advantage or disadvantage fall off with distance?
I don't think so. In my games, "attack-like" abilities have Nuisance Effect giving them a 1/2D for -10%. It's worked out so far.

Quote:
Obviously, Explosion for attacks and Dissipation for Area Effect/Cone attacks, and Reduced Range for advantages with built in range modifiers.
Right.

Quote:
For disads, I'm thinking of a modifier for traits like Dependency, Revulsion, or Weakness where you suffer reduced effects if you're farther from the source of your problem or closer to whatever you're dependent on.
I'd call that -40% as a limitation. You're basically halving the damage. Or for a more RAW answer just slap Dissipation up there and call it good.

Quote:
For advantages, benefits might fall off based on distance from some object or location. For example, the further a robot travels from its base the less accurate its Absolute Direction becomes.
This seems like an Accessibility to me.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
If it's a leveled ability you can take increased or reduced range on some of its levels, but for other cases there's pretty much just Accessibility limitations.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
Pursuivant

Thanks to all who replied.

I was just checking to see if I'd missed something. No reason to invent house rules if it's not necessary.

Since it looks like I'm going to have to create my own house rule, I'm planning on using Accessibility/Dissipation as a base. Maybe halve modifiers which are just going to apply to disadvantages. -20% to -40% seems fair.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #7
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
This is more for Prince Charon, but the ideas in this thread might help you both out—How to make Telekinesis take targeting penalties (range, SM, etc.)?
I do not see what targeting penalties have to do with my question. At all. Accuracy is a completely different matter from 'gets weaker at longer ranges.'

Something like Dissipation probably works better.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote