Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2019, 05:04 AM   #1
Anders

Default New uses for old spells

Spells can be used for more than what you think they can! I've allowed Ignite Fire to be used to cauterize wounds.

What spells have you abused in your games?
Old 11-12-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
coronatiger

Default Re: New uses for old spells

I used Measurement extensively in an earlier campaign to map out a dungeon covered in magical darkness. Not sure if all my uses of the spell was according to RAW, but I formulated questions that the GM accepted, like "how far is it from here to a wall in that direction". My skill level was high enough I could cast Measurement for free.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
Gnomasz

Haven't actually used it, but I had a moment of epiphany when I realized that Hair Growth and Haircut are not really barber spells, they're disguise spells, excellent in their quickness and natural look of the effects. You know, guards are looking for a bald thief!

As for actual abuse, my GM has allowed Mature to speed up brewing herbalist elixirs.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
VariousRen

My DF druid was a fan of Plant Form Other followed by Heal Plant as a cheap alternative to a cleric's Great Heal. Also, Plant Form followed by a friend using a spellstone of Heal Plant for a self heal between fights.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #5
Plane

Body of Fire + that spell which makes fires grow that operates like Haste, as an alternative to haste?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
Dalin

My players came up with a plan to catch an Eye of Death by casting glue on a door, luring the Eye through the doorway, and slamming the door on it. They backed the plan up with some great die rolls, so it basically worked as intended. It's not exactly a new use for Glue, but it was a clever way to neutralize a levitating opponent.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
Pursuivant

Any of the Create or Shape [Element] spells are absolutely ripe for creative interpretation.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:14 AM   #8
coronatiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Any of the Create or Shape [Element] spells are absolutely ripe for creative interpretation.
Yeah. I'm using Earth to build a shelter while traveling in the jungle. No way I'm letting pesky little critters steal our food again!

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:49 AM   #9
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Retch spells for combat against people wearing enclosed helmets and full-face masks. Also for interrogation. (Which led to a GM telling me, "I limit XP awards for intentional evil." Which led to a massive derail as to the definition of evil.)
Old 11-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2 View Post
Retch spells for combat against people wearing enclosed helmets and full-face masks. Also for interrogation. (Which led to a GM telling me, "I limit XP awards for intentional evil." Which led to a massive derail as to the definition of evil.)
I tend to think that the definition of Evil (or evil) in a game is whatever definition the GM subscribes to, unless you're using a scenario that someone else wrote that has a different definition. It does rather help to know what the GM's definition is, but sometimes you run into things that the GM didn't realize needed to be spelled out.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spells