Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
scc

Default First Healing Spell Of The Day

So Minor Healing and it's ilk have a rule if you have Physician-15 or more you can't crit. fail, if it's the first time your using the spell on a given subject for the day.

Now, does this mean that if the above applies, I'm healing someone out of combat and they're not at immediate risk of dying that the standard +4 for non-combat situations applies? The only thing that happens if you fail is that you lose the FP, so it seems like it would apply.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: First Healing Spell Of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
So Minor Healing and it's ilk have a rule if you have Physician-15 or more you can't crit. fail, if it's the first time your using the spell on a given subject for the day.

Now, does this mean that if the above applies, I'm healing someone out of combat and they're not at immediate risk of dying that the standard +4 for non-combat situations applies
No. Because it's not a +4 for non-combat situations. It's a +4 for low stress situations. Having a bleeding patient is not a low stress situation.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Refplace

I'd say any spell casting does not get the bonus as there is always stress. Consider ceremonial casting is out of combat and gets no such bonus.

EDIT: agreed on the bleeding patient is stressful comment also.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

There is no indication in the rules that mundane task modifiers apply to cinematic or supernatural skills like spells.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No. Because it's not a +4 for non-combat situations. It's a +4 for low stress situations. Having a bleeding patient is not a low stress situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I'd say any spell casting does not get the bonus as there is always stress. Consider ceremonial casting is out of combat and gets no such bonus.

EDIT: agreed on the bleeding patient is stressful comment also.
I'd disagree, for someone who's job it is to heal people this is quite routine, and How to Be a GURPS GM agrees with me, saying that most surgeons only have skill 12-13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
There is no indication in the rules that mundane task modifiers apply to cinematic or supernatural skills like spells.
They're still skills so unless something says otherwise it's safe to assume that that rule does apply to them.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
Prince Charon

Quote:
I tend to assume that they can, because otherwise there'd be a lot more demon attacks in cities (due to critical failures), or wizards wouldn't be allowed to cast spells inside most settlements (for the same reason).

EDIT:
Quote:
They're still skills so unless something says otherwise it's safe to assume that that rule does apply to them.
Also this.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
I'd disagree, for someone who's job it is to heal people this is quite routine, and How to Be a GURPS GM agrees with me, saying that most surgeons only have skill 12-13.
That has nothing to do with surgery not being stressful. Surgery is a team effort, and having the support of a surgical team and a well-equipped hospital plus being able to take extra time if necessary for a tricky case will quite comfortably boost a skill 12 surgeon into reliable success territory.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
Stormcrow

Quote:
What are "mundane task modifiers" and where are they defined in the rules?
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That has nothing to do with surgery not being stressful. Surgery is a team effort, and having the support of a surgical team and a well-equipped hospital plus being able to take extra time if necessary for a tricky case will quite comfortably boost a skill 12 surgeon into reliable success territory.
Yeah, Biotech has some breakdowns, but that's basically it - modern surgery under regular circumstances is done with substantial positive modifiers for equipment and assistance.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:13 AM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
there is also this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I don't see any good reason not to let mages get the same modifiers as everyone else for really easy, non-adventuring tasks. It's simply cruel to require a skill-12 wizard to roll vs. Ignite Fire at -5 for a dark room and being unable to see the candle on the table in his own house, and another -3 for distance to the candle, thereby rolling at 4 and possibly blowing himself up or summoning a demon. It's his home, the candle is where it always is, and there's no stress . . . he's just trying to turn on the lights so he can stow his staff and hat for the night.

I'd give a big bonus to make sure that this kind of thing usually succeeds, should I even require a roll. If one needs an in-game excuse for it, assume that rote uses done exactly the same way on exactly the same subject for years and years impart a local, hyper-specific mana aspect that gives +5 or +10 to that one task. And of course a lurking intruder or dire emergency would disturb the balance, so the bonus wouldn't apply then.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote