Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #31
Anders

Default Re: question about public nudity, npg reaction and some other related stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
There was no such thing as "normal crew" in moder means then. I wonder how PCs managed to not get her raped many times after all the crew saw her naked. Unless they didn't try.
Maybe they were gay.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #32
JaJH

Default Re: question about public nudity, npg reaction and some other related stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
I keep thinking of the section of The Three Musketeers where Milady de Winter is a prisoner of the Duke of Buckingham who puts her under the guard of his most trusted and incorruptable officer. She still manages to seduce the officer into helping her escape and then assassinating the Duke.

Even if this particular lady thief cannot sway the entire crew against the PCs, she can still do a remarkable amount of mischief just gaining the sympathy of one.
THIS. I have been lurking the thread for a while and thinking the same thing. I'd really encourage the OP to familiarize himself with this part of the Three Musketeers to see how literally anyone can be corrupted given the opportunity and the skill of one with an interest of doing so. Even if she doesn't escape on board, she would still cause the PCs a world of trouble once they reached port and she convinced pretty much any local authority to help her.

Also, I saw it mentioned that the PCs have her under regular guard. Wouldn't this make her escape even a bit easier with 'Daredevil'?
JaJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #33
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJH View Post
Also, I saw it mentioned that the PCs have her under regular guard. Wouldn't this make her escape even a bit easier with 'Daredevil'?
I'd say so, a great deal more so.

Odds that the players' ship is something sloop-sized is overwhelming. This doesn't make for 12' x 12' jail cells ... she has to be in something more like a cubby, which would lead to very tight quarters indeed if she's under constant observation. So ... that places an armed, accoutered crewman within easy reach, even without gambits such as begging the guard for a drink, or to scratch that terrible itch she has on her inner thigh ...

Whichever way you slice it, the PCs aren't handling this clearly or well. With the adage "Never do your enemy a small injury" in mind, what the hell are they thinking? (Beyond, of course, the horndog "Eh heh, nekkid woman chained in our hold, eh heh, nekkid woman dragged through the streets" fantasy I strongly suspect is in their minds.)

If they wanted to handle this sensibly, they would simply have killed her, if not tortured the information out of her first ... and a party that wouldn't scruple about dragging a naked woman through colony streets wouldn't scruple about torture.

In any event, I can't imagine a circumstance where this manner of treatment is going to get her to reveal the information. Is she deluded enough to believe she's going to be set free if she does, or that her fate as a penniless, humiliated Frenchwoman on the Spanish Main would be anything but dire? Are they deluded enough to think that if they do, her sole goal is going to be anything other than revenge?

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #34
Yafnag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
I'd say so, a great deal more so.

Odds that the players' ship is something sloop-sized is overwhelming. This doesn't make for 12' x 12' jail cells ... she has to be in something more like a cubby, which would lead to very tight quarters indeed if she's under constant observation. So ... that places an armed, accoutered crewman within easy reach, even without gambits such as begging the guard for a drink, or to scratch that terrible itch she has on her inner thigh ...

Whichever way you slice it, the PCs aren't handling this clearly or well. With the adage "Never do your enemy a small injury" in mind, what the hell are they thinking? (Beyond, of course, the horndog "Eh heh, nekkid woman chained in our hold, eh heh, nekkid woman dragged through the streets" fantasy I strongly suspect is in their minds.)

If they wanted to handle this sensibly, they would simply have killed her, if not tortured the information out of her first ... and a party that wouldn't scruple about dragging a naked woman through colony streets wouldn't scruple about torture.

In any event, I can't imagine a circumstance where this manner of treatment is going to get her to reveal the information. Is she deluded enough to believe she's going to be set free if she does, or that her fate as a penniless, humiliated Frenchwoman on the Spanish Main would be anything but dire? Are they deluded enough to think that if they do, her sole goal is going to be anything other than revenge?

You are right, the ship is a sloop.

About your puzzlement, maybe knowing what is happened before will help you.

The players have discover the existence of a treasure (the artifact that noblewoman is here) in journal inherited from the bard. His ancestor have found it in an ancient temple, but the natives discover him, and he run away to save his life before take the artifact. The ancestor coded a map about temple location in some of his musical score in order to avoid the attentions inquisition. But after a time he died and so he can't arrange a new expedition and his stuff sold to cover burial's pay.

So the bard and the swordsman have hunt the scores and discovered that one of these was in the noblewoman palace (his brother love collect struff). Now she is interest in magic and in her forbidden books she have read the tale of the artifact. She comprehend that treasure that bard and swordsman hunt is the same of her research and so she share her part of the score and joint to expedition. But one of her servant was the thief undercover that had spy the whole story.

The thief steal the score of the noblewoman and try to reach the location of the second part of it. But this time the player succeed to take it before her and they hunt her. During the chase a old lady inform the player about her trail, and so they take a departing ship where they think that her is. But the old lady was actually the thief disguised!

So they, after a lot of curse, go back, take a private ship to reach the place of the last score before ordinary route, take it and organize one ambush to her. The thief on the other hand hide herself on the same ship to not be far-between.

...and you know the rest.

About your question:
- the players kill in fight but not at cold blood and she had memorize her score part
- they fear that she can die under torture before talk (she have strong will but a fine body ST8 HP8) and they don't want waste her beauty because a so beautiful French woman is a rare and precious merchandise on slave market. More over although she talk under torture, they know she is insidious (the old lady trick hurt even now) and so the must reach the temple to know if she had lied or not. They plan to bend her will little by little by means of slavery life, and keep on with chains and nudity even after she talk, until they find the artifact.
- They have considered her revenge and the have two thought about how menage that, when she will become useless, they abandon her on a deserted island or sell her at the far, far way orient where no one know her speech, so she not will able to use her social skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaJH View Post
THIS. I have been lurking the thread for a while and thinking the same thing. I'd really encourage the OP to familiarize himself with this part of the Three Musketeers to see how literally anyone can be corrupted given the opportunity and the skill of one with an interest of doing so. Even if she doesn't escape on board, she would still cause the PCs a world of trouble once they reached port and she convinced pretty much any local authority to help her.

Thanks, I'll check that

Last edited by Yafnag; 01-30-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Yafnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #35
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yafnag View Post
- They have considered her revenge and the have two thought about how menage that, when she will become useless, they abandon her on a deserted island or sell her at the far, far way orient where no one know her speech, so she not will able to use her social skills.
They're going to sail thousands of miles, months each way, to sell one woman into slavery? The deserted island would make a lot more sense.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #36
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
My most recent players tried to solve a puzzle with lightsabers,...
Well, if this NPC were a 220-lb muscleman, good with the sword but not terribly bright, I'd be tempted to cry foul myself, as a player, if he turned out to be a devil with minds and locks and chains.
But this is not what the NPC is, and the PCs seem to be able to assess what she actually is. So if the players can't figure what's in store, I, as the GM, would not feel much pity.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #37
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
They're going to sail thousands of miles, months each way, to sell one woman into slavery? The deserted island would make a lot more sense.
Not to mention that I'd suspect that an initial Sex Appeal roll, with no words used, would be at most at a -4 penalty, and with a 17 to start from... she'll quickly find a protector, who will also be willing to teach her the local language, I suppose.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Not to mention that I'd suspect that an initial Sex Appeal roll, with no words used, would be at most at a -4 penalty, and with a 17 to start from... she'll quickly find a protector, who will also be willing to teach her the local language, I suppose.
Wait, what, no Sexy Pose perk that allows rolling at +0 without words? Seriously? On this concept?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #39
trooper6

Slavery exists...but enslaving a white woman and parading her naked through streets ruled by white people? That is going to get the PCs in a whole lot of trouble from the authorities of those towns.

These PCs are in big, big trouble.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #40
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Slavery exists...but enslaving a white woman and parading her naked through streets ruled by white people? That is going to get the PCs in a whole lot of trouble from the authorities of those towns.
Not necessarily. If this is modeled on the Spanish Main, I think there was a period when the typical slave shipped to the West Indies was an Irish peasant—or an Englishman who didn't submit to Puritanism. The automatic equation slave=black came in later on, after the triangular trade had flooded the New World with African captives.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, nudity, slavery, social reactions, social stigma