Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Combat Step Q:player cannot block if he would like to do an All-Out next turn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Technically Aim doesn't restrict your next maneuver choice. It's just wasted if you don't follow it with a maneuver that can benefit.
that's why i said effect not restrict.. because if you do attack the target you aimed at as your next maneuver then it will effect that attack. This is differnet from most of the other maneuver which stop having an effect when you chose a new one.

Quote:
The general answer is that maneuvers are obvious. They don't necessarily know what you're Waiting for, but they do know that you took a Wait maneuver.
Actual no the don't know you're waiting. You could be evaluating, Concentrating or simply taking a Do Nothing Maneuver instead.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
Deadite

Default Re: Combat Step Q:player cannot block if he would like to do an All-Out next turn?

I have trouble reading the dice requirement as well...

I'm reading the rulebook and there's a chapter calculating how many dice you need and if your ST pass 19 or 20, you'll have to increase 1 dice to roll with in your attack.

There's one dice calculation, I don't know where I read it, it states something like this...

1d/d-1

So does the "/" means "or"? I'll have to find the chapter where I read this otherwise there's no evidence on where I read it.
Deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post

I'm reading the rulebook and there's a chapter calculating how many dice you need and if your ST pass 19 or 20, you'll have to increase 1 dice to roll with in your attack.

There's one dice calculation, I don't know where I read it, it states something like this...

1d/d-1

So does the "/" means "or"? I'll have to find the chapter where I read this otherwise there's no evidence on where I read it.
Dmg 1d/2d-1 means 1d for thrust attacks and 2d-1 for swing attacks

also see the table on B16 for the damage you can do for ST 1 through 100

you start doin a base of 2d of damage on swing attacks at ST 13 and on thrust attacks at ST 19
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
gilbertocarlos

ALL actions can only be chosen on your turn, everyone has a turn, when get's to their turn, they choose the action and deal with consequences, if I choose to attack, I will attack right now and get basic defenses until my next turn. If I use an AoA, I cannot defend until my next turn, if I use AoD, I don't attack, but I get a bonus on defenses. If I use a Wait, I'm simply delaying my turn. If I aim, I don't attack, but my next attack will get a bonus

Example: A pirate with a pistol and a cutlass vs a guard with a two handed sword, 10y between them:

Pirate turn: I aim(pirate get +1 on his next attack)
Guard: I run towards the pirate(Guard is now 5y from the pirate)
Pirate: I do an AoA(Determined) for +1, pirate get on total +2 on his roll, with cancel the -2 for being 5y away, he rolls, he succeeds and the guard get's a dodge roll, with he doesn't pass, taking 5 points of damage
Guard: I do a Move & Attack, he rolls the dice and fails
Pirate: I attack, he rolls and passes, the guard rolls a parry and also passes, he get no damage.
Guard: I AoA(2 attacks). He rolls twice, and pass in both tests, the pirate fails one of the defense rolls and get 10 points of damage.
Pirate: I will try using acting to make him think I'm surrendering, he rolls and passes, the guard succeeds his IQ to notice the lie, so, he see the pirate is lying
Guard: I will use a wait maneuver, if he do anything, I attack
Pirate: I run away.
Guard: Now I will attack, since he is trying to run away, he rolls and passes, the pirate fails to dodge and take 7 points of damage, the pirate fails his HT roll and falls down.

Addendum: Thrust/Swing damage is used for attacks, a broadsword does Swing+1, if I have 2d of Swing, I will do 2d+1.

Last edited by gilbertocarlos; 08-03-2012 at 12:14 PM.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Actual no the don't know you're waiting. You could be evaluating, Concentrating or simply taking a Do Nothing Maneuver instead.
I think Kromm has indicated otherwise, though I will not present a reference for that at the moment.
Quote:

Uh. That last sentence doesn't parse at all.
Quote:

1d/d-1

Uh, the only thing I can think of that's written that way is the character's basic ST-based damage potential, written as swing damage/thrust damage. So that would mean that the character has a base swing damage of 1d, and a base thrust damage of 1d-1. It would not be a calculation.

EDIT: The standard order may be (probably is) thr/sw, not sw/thr.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #26
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
I think Kromm has indicated otherwise, though I will not present a reference for that at the moment.
I believe you are referring to Which maneuver did you just take? Where Kromm said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The only maneuver that shouldn't be obvious is Feint. Everything else is meant to be stated openly. All-Out Attack would be zero-risk if it weren't obvious, and Concentrate over multiple seconds wouldn't be the drawback that the rules for spells and powers assume it is if enemies weren't aware of it. Another way to put it is as follows: The rules assume that everybody on the battlefield knows everybody else's maneuver, save Feint. If you don't play it that way, certain things become unbalanced.
But I was referring to the later post in the same thread by the author of GURPS Martial Arts which had a slightly more nuanced view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
It's really, really obvious what maneuver someone takes, assuming you have some knowledge of fighting. Some of them might be slightly harder to distinguish from each other (say Evaluate vs. Concentrate) but not so much I'd call concealing maneuvers around the table as "more realistic."

All-Out anything is really easy to spot - I've seen it in too many fights, and you can spot someone choosing either almost instantly. You can't always do something about it, but it's really obvious what's going on.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #27
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I believe you are referring to Which maneuver did you just take? Where Kromm said:

But I was referring to the later post in the same thread by the author of GURPS Martial Arts which had a slightly more nuanced view.
Both of those posts, to my eye, are altogether in favor of my statement that the opposition can see what Maneuver you're taking.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #28
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
ALL actions can only be chosen on your turn,
Pirate: I will try using acting to make him think I'm surrendering, he rolls and passes, the guard succeeds his IQ to notice the lie, so, he see the pirate is lying
Guard: I will use a wait maneuver, if he do anything, I attack
Pirate: I run away.
Guard: Now I will attack, since he is trying to run away, he rolls and passes, the pirate fails to dodge and take 7 points of damage, the pirate fails his HT roll and falls down.

Addendum: Thrust/Swing damage is used for attacks, a broadsword does Swing+1, if I have 2d of Swing, I will do 2d+1.
Interesting. Would the player know if the other player is using Acting to fake death?

If the player knew, he wouldn't have to pass the IQ roll, he can just Wait without any reason, unless there's rules enforcing the player who's suppose to be fooled by Acting has to leave the area.

Last edited by Deadite; 08-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #29
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Interesting. Would the player knew that the other player is using Acting (I'm not sure the name of the trait) to fake death?

If the player knew, he wouldn't have to pass the IQ roll, he can just Wait without any reason, unless there's rules enforcing the player who's suppose to be fooled by Acting has to leave the area.
The PC's Recognition of Enemy Status thread might be of some help to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The following results in combat are obvious without any dice rolling:
  • Knocked back.
  • Knocked down.
  • Stunned; the heart attack mortal condition; and the agony, choking, daze, and ecstasy incapacitating conditions.
  • Crippled.
  • Hallucinating incapacitating condition.
  • Retching incapacitating condition.
  • Seizure incapacitating condition.
  • Dead; unconscious; the coma mortal condition; and the paralysis, sleep, and unconsciousness incapacitating conditions.
However, it would require a Concentrate maneuver and a skill roll to distinguish between two conditions on the same line above in a fight (stunned vs. daze, dead vs. merely unconscious, etc.). Ditto to distinguish between two causes of the same condition (knocked down by failed HT roll vs. knocked down by failed DX roll, mental vs. physical stun, etc.). And ditto to identify shock (the penalty due to injury), irritating conditions (coughing/sneezing, drowsy, drunk, euphoria, nauseated, pain, or tipsy), or wounds (missing 1 HP vs. missing 4 HP, etc.).

I would allow several skills to work here. Diagnosis is obvious, but other possibilities might be Body Language (to notice shock, tell types of stun apart, etc.), Physiology, Streetwise (to spot drunk, euphoria, etc., and to distinguish ecstasy/daze due to drugs from combat stun), and anything else the player convinced me made sense. For instance, I'd let a boxer make a Per-based Boxing roll to assess the results of his beating. The important part is the turn spent scrutinizing the target, not the skill. I'd probably give a bonus equal in size to the largest relevant penalty to notice irritating conditions and shock, too; drunk, with -4 to self-control rolls, would be +4 to spot, compared to +2 for tipsy. Likewise, -4 in shock would give +4.

However, the simple answer about stun is, "Yes, it's obvious when somebody is stunned." In general, if somebody wants to fake still being stunned (or any other status above), the onus is on him to win a Quick Contest vs. observers' IQ or relevant skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Action 2; page 37
Playing Dead: This is a free action at any time: Fall down, drop your weapon, and stop moving. Whenever the GM thinks an enemy may decide to make sure you’re dead, he’ll roll a secret Quick Contest: Acting vs. the higher of the enemy’s IQ or Perception.

Last edited by roguebfl; 08-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Interesting. Would the player know if the other player is using Acting to fake death?
The player probably does. The character needs to win a Contest of IQ versus Acting. The player needs to play his character as though he doesn't have any out-of-character knowledge. This is the same as nearly any other RPG really.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat step, gurps, turn order, turns