Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #581
warellis

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Recently, someone posted a video that is of relevance to this thread, called The Fallen of World War II. While the video was made well after the PoD, and after the 'present' of the timeline, the information it contains was readily available (though I disagree with the narrator on the intended targets of the atomic bombs), and would have been transmitted to the other Earths.
Can Earth-3, Earth-4, & Earth-5 even use or watch the same format?
warellis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #582
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Can Earth-3, Earth-4, & Earth-5 even use or watch the same format?
They don't need to. The video wasn't made yet, it's the information that's passed to them. The video merely presents it in a format that people reading this thread now, in our timeline, are reasonably used to.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:14 AM   #583
Prince Charon

Default Work in Progress

Here's a work-in-progress for you. Suggestions on perks and quirks, disadvantages, mundane advantages, and skills are requested and welcome (but remember that he's twelve). Psi abilities might be swapped out, or removed for later growth, but he's already quite powerful for his age:

Erik Lehnsherr, 1940

Attributes

ST 8 [-20]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 10 [0]

Secondary Characteristics

HP 8; Will 14 [10]; Per 12; FP 10

Social Background

Languages: Polish (Native) [0]; Yiddish (Accented) [4] Modern Hebrew (Native) [6]; German (Accented) [4]; Russian (Broken) [2].

TL: (6+1)^

Cultural Familiarity: 20th century Eastern Europe (Native). [0]

Subtotal: 66

Advantages

Charisma 2 [10]

Ergokinesis Talent 4 [20]
EK Shield (Absorption (Full), +100%) 1 [9]
Magnekinetic Control (Telekinetic Control: Super-Effort, +300%; Magnetic, -50%; Unconscious Only, -20%; Uncontrollable, -30%; power limitation changed from 'Psychokinesis, -10%' to 'Ergokinesis, -10%') 5/15 [120]
PK Shield (Magnetic, -50%; power limitation changed from 'Psychokinesis, -10%' to 'Ergokinesis, -10%') 2 [13]
Protected Power (Ergokinesis, -10%) [5]
Protected Vision (Ergokinesis, -10%) [5]
Radar Sense 4 [18]
^Electric Vision 1 (Alternative Ability of Radar Sense) [2]

Perks

Power Source. [1]
Static Control. [1]

Subtotal:

Disadvantages

Skinny [-5]
Social Stigma (Subjegated) [-20]
Unfit [-5]

Quirks

Subtotal: -

Skills

EK Shield [IQ/H] [1] 14*
Electric Vision [Per/H] [1] 14*

History (Ashkenazim) [IQ/] [2]
History (Poland) [IQ/] [default]

Magnekinetic Control [IQ/VH] [1] 13*
PK Shield [IQ/H] [1] 14*
Radar Sense [Per/H] [1] 14*

Religious Ritual (Ashkenaz Judaism) [IQ/H] [2] 11
Theology (Ashkenaz Judaism) [IQ/H] [2] 11

*Includes +4 from Ergokinesis Talent.

Subtotal:

Total:

Equipment

Notes

This is Erik while still a prisoner at Auschwitz, after his power first activated. During his time as a test subject, he will train off the 'Uncontrollable' limitation, replacing it and 'Unconscious Only' with 'Unreliable (11), -20%,' bringing the cost of his Magnekinetic Control to 26.4 per level, though his health will worsen. Once freed, his health and fitness will quickly recover (with some help), and he will soon receive a pair of boots with ferrous inserts, a helmet, and a suit of steel maille (id est chaimail, which he will learn to magnetically reinforce). When Unreliable is bought down to -10%, the cost per level will be 27.2/level, and once bought off completely, will bring the cost to 28/level.

In later years, Erik will have higher Charisma and attributes (they're at the levels that they are because he's an underfed twelve-year-old), much higher levels of Magnekinetic Control, other magnetic abilities (such as magnetic Levitation separate from Magnekinetic Control, Enhanced Move (Air), and magnetism-based Awareness), and more enhancements to his Magnekintic Control, such as Area Effect, Cosmic, and/or Increased Range, as well as Selectivity and Variable. By 1962(2), he might well be able to beach a full-size submarine, though with great difficulty (and he likely won't be able to lift it entirely out of the water).

The 'Experiment' template from GURPS Psis pp12-13 will probably be used with him, and the EM Sense template has been, though slightly modified. I might replace EM Sense with the Magnetism-based Awareness mentioned above, though. What do you think?

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #584
maximara
On Notice

I have binge read the thread but wondered if other things could become "real" like the multicolor lantern rings have, which I might add didn't exist until the Iron Age of comics (1986-New 52); well after the Dieselpunk era.

If so Nekron is the least of the potential problems and I am not just talking comics.

World of Warcraft is treasure trove of things spirits can utilize and make real. Imagine Sylvanas becoming real and getting her hands on Black Lantern rings. How about the Legion who are running around destroying planets?
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:35 AM   #585
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I have binge read the thread but wondered if other things could become "real" like the multicolor lantern rings have, which I might add didn't exist until the Iron Age of comics (1986-New 52); well after the Dieselpunk era.
What becomes 'real' is determined by the spirits based on beliefs and interests among the people of whatever location that spirits has taken an interest in, hence the various rings, Star Trek and Star Wars magitech and abilities, et cetra.

Quote:
If so Nekron is the least of the potential problems and I am not just talking comics.
Yes. I have plans for that, actually.

Quote:
World of Warcraft is treasure trove of things spirits can utilize and make real. Imagine Sylvanas becoming real and getting her hands on Black Lantern rings. How about the Legion who are running around destroying planets?
I would need to do more research on WoW, but note that these things do not become 'real' as exact duplicates with all the same powers and numbers, they become 'real' as near-enough simulations using available abilities (hence for example Solar Exalted players thinking they've turned into their characters, but not having the world bend to them anywhere near as much as the gameworld did). Anything too powerful will either not manifest, or will manifest rarely, and in a limited fashion.

Don't expect to see the Burning Legion show up any time soon, unless some idiot summons them (which again would lead to a limited manifestation).

EDIT: Any thoughts on young Erik, in the post above yours?

-- Tacitus

Old 07-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #586
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
What becomes 'real' is determined by the spirits based on beliefs and interests among the people of whatever location that spirits has taken an interest in, hence the various rings, Star Trek and Star Wars magitech and abilities, et cetra.
Interesting though it could be argued that WoW has gotten to those levels. After all Wrath of the Lich King (2008-2010) had 12 million subscribers at its height.

Quote:
I would need to do more research on WoW, but note that these things do not become 'real' as exact duplicates with all the same powers and numbers, they become 'real' as near-enough simulations using available abilities (hence for example Solar Exalted players thinking they've turned into their characters, but not having the world bend to them anywhere near as much as the gameworld did). Anything too powerful will either not manifest, or will manifest rarely, and in a limited fashion.

Don't expect to see the Burning Legion show up any time soon, unless some idiot summons them (which again would lead to a limited manifestation).
In terms of raw power Sylvanas isn't beyond what we have already seen. She doesn't seem to have her take over your mind ability she had when she was a banshee and other then being a walking corpse her only major asset is Bow skill which is likely Weapon Master enhanced.

The Lich King Arthas Menethil is more of a problem as he can capture souls, raise the dead and (somewhat) control them. Somebody with his power wouldn't be unbeatable but they would be an issue. Though thankfully he would not have anywhere near the army he had in the game.

Lich King Bolvar Fordragon is less an issue as his only goal was to keep the undead scourge from rampaging around the planet and killing everyone.

On a side note I have been updating the GURPS wiki so the information there (GURPS WWII in particular) might be help.

Last edited by maximara; 07-23-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #587
Prince Charon

Quote:
On a side note I have been updating the GURPS wiki so the information there (GURPS WWII in particular) might be help.
Thank you. I'll have a look.

Unrelated, an option that I might use for Erik, as noted earlier:

Possible 'Magnetic Awareness' ability:
Magnetic Awareness (Extra-Sensory Awareness: Penetrating, +50%; Ergokinesis, -10%; Magnetic, -50%; other limitations, and level progression, as per Psionic Powers p40.)

I might make Extended Arc part of the power, rather than an enhancement, meaning that the base cost will be 24 at 240, and 34 at 360. Then again, I might use 'Detect' as the basis, instead, but either way, I do think his being able to sense ferrous metal fits, and using Awareness works with him sensing is via feedback from his Magnekinetic Control.

-- Tacitus

Old 07-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #588
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Thank you. I'll have a look.
I've put a lot of work in making GURPS WWII: Weird War II more then just page number references. There is a lot of material there.

I should mention that The Nine Worlds has something similar to this but the Earths are still in their respective realities and only accessable to each other via certain points on the Earth.

Last edited by maximara; 07-26-2018 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #589
Prince Charon

Quote:
I've put a lot of work in making GURPS WWII: Weird War II more then just page number references. There is a lot of material there.

I should mention that The Nine Worlds has something similar to this but the Earths are still in their respective realities and only accessable to each other via certain points on the Earth.
I'm familiar with them. I think I might have read that section of Lost Worlds before starting work on this, but I'm not sure.

-- Tacitus

Old 08-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #590
Prince Charon

Recently in the Gotham's White Night quest on SV.com, the QM, SeptimusMagisto, brought out a chapter on the hauntings of Arkham Asylum. While the exact characters involved would be different (there's no 'Bruce Wayne' on Earth-2 (and the man who dresses like a bat in that Gotham can't see ghosts like the one in the quest can), Hugo Strange is an inmate at the asylum by 'now,' et cetra), the general feel of the chapter quite effectively describes what Jason Blood or another spiritually aware person might experience when taking a tour of the place. Gotham of Earth-2 is a bad place in general, but the Arkham Asylum Annex for the Criminally Insane is one of the nastier parts, a focal point of evil, madness, and corruption... and yes, it can move if the asylum moves, or if a new place is established as a replacement.

-- Tacitus

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds