Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #51
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Funding semi-realistic monster hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by D10 View Post
This x1000.

I think black market with human interests envolved in getting monster parts, of preventing certain parts from getting them, can be a great way in producing value out of it.
Only a unicorn's tear can cure the vampire lord's strange wasting disease. But of course no such monster could get within a hundred miles of such a pure creature.
Are the hunters willing to gain such a dark and powerful ally? Refusal will lead to his death and massive civil war that wouldn't help anyone, monster or mortal.
How does one even get a unicorn's tear?

What if it was all a wild goose chase concocted by the vampire second in command to distract from his slow poisoning of the lord?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #52
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
With the ever realistic possibility that some may change goals or motivations as the campaign progresses. The working lie becomes true further muddying any evidence that may eventually pop up.
Indeed. The vampire lord might find he actually likes the ragtag party of misfit monster hunters, or might realize eliminating his competition results in him not needing to be an evil bastard to accomplish his ultimate goals. Of course, that kind of nuance is probably more appropriate when the hunters and/or their patron-with-an-agenda are PC's, rather than a group of NPC antagonists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
How does one even get a unicorn's tear?
By kicking it in the horn.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #53
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
*stuff*
Thanks for the insight. I stand corrected
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:20 AM   #54
KarlKost

Mysterious "benefactors" for groups of hunters are ALWAYS a risk gamble. There is always the possibility that the secret patron is, in fact, one of the inhuman creatures.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 AM   #55
mikeejimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Indeed. The vampire lord might find he actually likes the ragtag party of misfit monster hunters, or might realize eliminating his competition results in him not needing to be an evil bastard to accomplish his ultimate goals. Of course, that kind of nuance is probably more appropriate when the hunters and/or their patron-with-an-agenda are PC's, rather than a group of NPC antagonists.
This is true, but it could also provide some morally grey choices for the monster PCs as well. If the PCs are generally 'good' monsters (mostly wanting to keep to themselves, at the least), then they may feel awkward about killing monster hunters who have good intentions, but better about it if they're working for the competition, but worse about it if they have a chance of reforming said competition... still adds some struggles.

Of course, if the monsters are evil (as the group I play with tends to be no matter what we're playing...) they're more likely to consider how powerful their patron is and if killing them would tick him off too much. (It might not, if he's just using them as a means to an end, the PCs may find themselves recruited to replace the hunters in fulfilling their purpose!)

Last edited by mikeejimbo; 04-17-2017 at 12:35 AM. Reason: I didn't mean to swear I'm sorry!
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #56
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
This is true, but it could also provide some morally grey choices for the monster PCs as well. If the PCs are generally 'good' monsters (mostly wanting to keep to themselves, at the least), then they may feel awkward about killing monster hunters who have good intentions, but better about it if they're working for the competition, but worse about it if they have a chance of reforming said competition... still adds some struggles.

Of course, if the monsters are evil (as the group I play with tends to be no matter what we're playing...) they're more likely to consider how powerful their patron is and if killing them would tick him off too much. (It might not, if he's just using them as a means to an end, the PCs may find themselves recruited to replace the hunters in fulfilling their purpose!)
Our PC monsters are various forms of high-functioning evil, with nuance and some likeable qualities, but they’re definitely bad people and fairly dangerous overall.

The nicest of the PCs is a werewolf whose mentality if fairly close to the Bestial disadvantage. He doesn’t have the full disadvantage because he can function in society if he absolutely has to, but given the choice will act more like a wild animal than a person, and actively enjoys being angry or starting fights with people – and doesn’t seem to mind when those fights turn bloody.

Another example from the group is a vampire necromancer, who is much more amiable and friendly at face-value, but horrifyingly cruel when it suits her purposes. While she doesn’t keep pens of prisoners to feed on, she instead feeds on slaves she keeps through Brainwashing, and is served by ghost minions created by torturing people to death in ways horrific enough to result in a restless spirit for her to Bind.

But like I mentioned, for the NPC hunters I’d prefer to steer clear of MiB/monster Patrons, I’d especially wish to avoid them working for a vampire lord.

However, I figure these hunters are trying to create an alliance with other monster-hunting bands they can find out there, perhaps looking to establish such an organisation, and even make it so that if something happens to them then another band of hunters will be able to move into the power-vacuum and take over the resources they had established. If we go with the “wildlife office” idea, I can see them establishing a rural base, possibly cooperating with shamans to make the land super-productive (I think the necromancer has offended a shaman somewhere by desecrating Native American burial mounds for her laboratory), protected with holy ground...

In which case, just taking out these hunters isn’t a solution, because the infrastructure can just be used to support another batch of monster-hunters instead.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:39 AM   #57
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Our PC monsters are various forms of high-functioning evil, with nuance and some likeable qualities, but they’re definitely bad people and fairly dangerous overall.
Do they play poker, and if so, do they place bids using kittens as opposed to money?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #58
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Do they play poker, and if so, do they place bids using kittens as opposed to money?
Tragically, no. Between their impatience and the Frightens Animals disadvantage. :P
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #59
Lex_BR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post

Well, thats how I've built the squeleton of my setting. What do you guys think?
thats cool but you didnt explain how they actually get funded.
how does this nameless agency gets their funds? how much and through what means do they make payment to the smaller groups? how is the money laundered?

ive been having trouble with this myself.
if anyone ever watched the show "supernatural" they never quite explain how those two guys make money for gas food and hotels, that always ****** me off.

in the monster hunter incorporated books by larry correia there is a secret national agency that pays bounties for the killing of supernatural monsters, aka 50K for a wherewolf, they pay by check from department of defense to the person. thats the only part of those books i liked.
Lex_BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #60
Lex_BR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
I’m basically looking for plausible ways such group can fund themselves and/or cut costs without having the “wealthy organisation with tons of money to spare for the monster hunters" handwave the situation.

Thanks in advance.
Freelance work and bounty hunting + loot maybe.

the way i did it for our low powered monster hunster campaign was kind of like this

- Players check tabloids or deep web for promissing cases
- Players contact people involved claiming to be able to help for "x" moneys
- do the job, collect loot, collect payment

sometimes they would do pro bono work, sometimes charge almost nothing, and ocasionally it would be a job for someone super rich that paid a lot.

other hunter groups work that same way and they help each other for big investigations, splitting payment.

and the reason hunters dont go public is to not disrupt the relative peace from the "cold war" because our side might not win. the other side doesnt go public because the ones in charge are very wealthy and comfortable and they also arent sure they would win all-out war.
Lex_BR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covert ops, monster hunters