Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
evileeyore
Banned

Default Selectivity Either/Or?

So at the base Enhancement Selectivity allows for any and all Enhancements to be used... what if you want it set as "Either/Or"? Or is that just part and parcel with the Enhancement and Limitations split when designing the Power?

What if you want certain Limitations to only come into play with specific Enhancements in the Power?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Selectivity Either/Or?

Modify the value of the enhancement with the value of the limitation (Characters, p. 111). For example, an attack ability with Selectivity could have Side Effect, Stunning (+50%) modified with No Wounding (-50%), for a total value of +25% or Side Effect, Paralysis (+200%) modified with No Wounding (-50%), for a total value of +100%.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
So at the base Enhancement Selectivity allows for any and all Enhancements to be used... what if you want it set as "Either/Or"? Or is that just part and parcel with the Enhancement and Limitations split when designing the Power?
Power-Ups 4: Enhancements has Alternate Enhancements, which is an extension of the Alternate Abilities rules extended to cover groups of Enhancements with Selectivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
What if you want certain Limitations to only come into play with specific Enhancements in the Power?
As AlexanderHowl suggests, apply the limitation to the enhancement, reducing the value of the enhancement. In the case of multiple enhancements and limitations as a set of Alternate Enhancements, I'd tally up all of the enhancements and then apply all of the limitations to them as a whole. I *SWEAR* I've either seen this in a book or seen Kromm rule on this, but I'm coming up blank on where right now.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-02-2018 at 05:37 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Power-Ups 4: Enhancements has Alternate Enhancements, which is an extension of the Alternate Abilities rules extended to cover groups of Enhancements with Selectivity.
I'd definitely use this, but I don't think using the limitations on the enhancements is the right approach. For one thing, I think the numbers are going to be off there - limitations are priced, generally, with the advantage they're intended to apply to in mind, not an enhancement. Also, what happens if you get a lot of limitations? Even capping the possible limitation at -80%, it's too easy, in my opinion, to make an otherwise-expensive enhancement cheap that way. Consider an extreme case - someone takes some form of Cosmic, +300%, and enough limitations to work out to -80%. If you were just doing the usual modifier math, that would work out to +220%. Whereas, if you allow the limited enhancements build, it comes out to only +60%. That's far too cheap.

Instead, what I'd do is bundle the limitations and enhancements you wanted together, and then apply the Alternate Enhancements divisor to the total of each package.

As an example, consider a laser attack with two modes, one a long range 1000/500 shot (Increased Range X10, and Increased 1/2D Range X5) with some ultra-tech "field jacketing" technobabble that means it can't set fires (No Incendiary Effect), while the second is a short-range, 20/10 range shot (Reduced Range /5 and Increased Range, 1/2D range only, X5) with lots of shots, RoF 16 (Rapid Fire 16). So, you'd total up the two modifier packages, with the first being +30% (Increased Range X10, +30%, Increased Range X5, 1/2D only, +10%, and Missing Damage Effect: No Incendiary Effect, -10%), while the second is +150% (Rapid Fire 16, +150%, Reduced Range, /5, -10%, and Increased Range X5, 1/2D range only, +10%). So, you'd divide the cheaper package price (the +30%) by 5, and you'd end up with a final enhancement value of 156%.

If there were packages that ended up negative, after adding all enhancements and limitations to each, I think I'd treat them as having a final total of +5%, then apply the usual Alternative Enhancements modifier to them. +1% for each option, even if its strictly less useful than the primary mode of the ability, seems fair, just to cover the possible advantages of switching which limitations apply in a given circumstance.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote