Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #31
JCD

Default Re: In Nomine Noir (backwards?)

attercap. Let's see if Acolyte approves my design. Then we'll talk.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #32
robkelk
Untitled

I don't have time to play, and it looks like you're full up anyway. But I'm hoping somebody will post game logs somewhere...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #33
rudeboyscott

Here are a couple of ideas floating loose in my head, working off what's left Band/Superior-wise:

1. Calabite of Factions with a female vessel, long-term partner of Attercap's Djinn journalist. She could be the one who sets up the poor, prominent suckers for the big fall by using her Band Attunement. A classic sort of femme fatale.

2. A Lilim of Factions, possible partner to RM's Balseraph of Theft. Since Valefor's Balseraph's are quick-talkers, she could be the decoy who targets the mark, distracts the bank guard, whatever. This one would be more of a gun moll, Bonnie to his Clyde.

3. A Lilim of the Media. I'm thinking a torch singer, recently defected from Lust after recognizing Nybbas' growing influence. Depending on how dark the noir is, I'm thinking her servant could range from a crooked cop carrying a flame for her to a demented stalker who would do anything for a chance with her. No real connection to the others here.

4. Calabite of Gluttony. A big, mean sonofab**** of a cop. He made a name for himself during prohibition, kicking in doors, torching gin mills and driving truckloads of hooch into the lake. Every big raid made people want their illicit booze even more...until eventually people were killing each other over the stuff & drinking themselves to death on cheap bathtub stuff. Could be the foil to one of the PIs, Polhaus to someone's Spade.

5. Habbalite of Lust. A pimp who caters to any number of exotic tastes, for clientele from the City's back alleys to the highest corridors of power. An elitist, but with his finger in every pie of the City's sex trade. This could also connect with Attercap's jounalistic style, though it might be more fledgling, as the Djinn tries to practice his form of tabloid journalism with the Punisher not wanting anything infring on providing this service. High class but very cutthroat.

Any of these work better for you Acolyte?
rudeboyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #34
Acolyte

Quote:
It's not so much the Dark Humor that concerns me regarding Tydhg being an antihero so much as it is his Djinn nature. I see the character being more a support/secondary character in a noir piece, rather than a major player. If you (and the other players) are comfortable with it, I'd almost rather play one of those characters that everybody knows--or at least knows of. ...Basically, in the cast list, I'd be Peter Lorre. You know, not really the antihero, but not completely the antagonist, either.
Hilarious. I love Peter Lorre. But what I actually meant was, how does this concept fit into the "Backwards" IN setting, where the angels are the bad guys and the demons are really "helping" humanity? But every drama needs support characters.

Robkelk-- Yeah, 6 is a lot for a directed plot. But I'll let you know if fitting someone else in will work. And we'll be running this on the forums here, so no need for logs!

Rudeboyscott:
1. Pretty classic, and an interestingly classy Calabite. This could certainly work.
2. Lilim seem to be really popular as concepts. But this could certainly work, as long as her Factionalism was focused outwards, away from the party.
3. This would be an interestingly high-profile Role in an otherwise fairly low-profile game. I think the possibilities here are really good. A tweak on this would be an Impudite attached to the star.
4. Given the extreme unsubtleness of this PC compared to the others, this might be a bit of a poor fit, but could certainly do well with some tweaks to make it more subtle (possibly as easy as making the character decision of holding back on small acts of destruction in favor of letting go on the big ones).
5. This is pretty dark, but clearly also workable...though not as someone "new" to the City.

In any case, though, for all of you, remember that I'd like to cast this as IN Backwards as much as possible, although with low contrast. By which I mean, demons in general should be "nicer" and more amenable than in traditional IN, even to the point of being the "good guys". Most of the "low contrast" will come from ratcheting up the "evil" of the angelic opponents, but in general, I want the PCs especially to have iotas of goodness in them. Something that makes the likable as characters--not paragons of goodness AT ALL, but certainly people we want to see come out on top in a world of evil. (this being noir, you might not really come out on top, but the dice will decide that)

Alright. Next round of PMs and discussions?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #35
Attercap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
Hilarious. I love Peter Lorre. But what I actually meant was, how does this concept fit into the "Backwards" IN setting, where the angels are the bad guys and the demons are really "helping" humanity? But every drama needs support characters.
Well, Tydgh's helping the little guy! People need to not fear those in higher positions or think that money makes another better than they are. Basically, through the exposed scandals, the Djinn is evening the bar--keeping humans from being like the angels who are so lofty and holier-than-though... pun intended.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #36
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

All right, I'll put my own cards on the table so that the rest of you can work me into your plans. Here's the basics on Joe Murphy, private investigator -- or as Stygia knows him, Emin, Balseraph of Theft:

"Joe actually is a pretty decent detective. But his investigations are only a cover for his real activity: burglary. Any time Joe Murphy pays a visit, the odds are good that he's actually casing the joint for a return later. But for a Magpie, he actually has a curious sense of morals -- his victims are almost always either the wealthy ("They'll never miss it") or the corrupt ("They deserve it"). And this being the 1930s, the two often overlap to a great degree. That said, if something "needs stealing," well, a Balseraph rarely has difficulty finding a justification .... "

There's more that I gave Acolyte, but that should give all of you a good point to work from.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 12-20-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #37
Andygal

cool concept there.

Unfortunately dark/gritty is not my preferred setting, although my brain keeps batting around a concept for a Free Lilim IST Lust for some reason.......
Old 12-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #38
JCD

A question or two

Which system for character creation? IN or GIN?

How are we doing dice mechanics? (I don't care. I'd just as soon trust you to roll and make things quicker. YMMV)

I assume we are working with straight character creation? Any specific house rules or benefits we need to know about?

BTW, thanks for responding so quickly.

Last edited by JCD; 12-19-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #39
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attercap View Post
Well, Tydgh's helping the little guy! People need to not fear those in higher positions or think that money makes another better than they are. Basically, through the exposed scandals, the Djinn is evening the bar--keeping humans from being like the angels who are so lofty and holier-than-though... pun intended.
I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal
Unfortunately dark/gritty is not my preferred setting, although my brain keeps batting around a concept for a Free Lilim IST Lust for some reason.......
Always a classy idea, and I think we're full for now, but I can let you know if we get to the point of taking on more weight.

--

This will be IN (not GIN), but don't go ahead and make out characters just yet. I've got a few houserules that I'll put on the web for you to check out. Feel free to start thinking about Songs and attunements and the like.

I think the best way to go is to have me roll all the dice. It's fast, easy, and convenient for me. While it would normally be a way for me to tweak things to the benefit of the story, I expect given the grit of Noir, a badly fumbled roll is going to turn into a tragic situation really fast.

As for response time, you gotta act the way you want other people to, right? *grin*
Old 12-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #40
JCD

For your consideration:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dlarkins/slang-pg.htm

Tags
backwards, net play